• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011
    sure did
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011
    NP: BA-DOP-BOOM-BANG (Grandmaster Flash)

I love me some old school hip hop!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tom just explode
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Did you know that Franz Waxman premiered Vaughan Williams recordings in Los Angeles?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Did you know that Franz Waxman premiered Vaughan Williams recordings in Los Angeles?

No I didn't. Do you know much more about this Tom?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yes I do. Franz founded the Los Angeles International Music Festival in 1947 and premiered eighty major works by Stravinsky, Walton, Schoenberg, Vaughan Williams and others for 20 years.
  1. It's about time someone recognised my contribution.

NP: Ezio Bosso - Under the tree's voices

Nice minimalist work for strings.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    It's about time someone recognised my contribution.

NP: Ezio Bosso - Under the tree's voices

Nice minimalist work for strings.

:glassy look:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Beauty & The Beast (Broadway Cast Recording) - Alan Menken & Howard Ashman/Tim Rice

Now I really understand how great Menken/Ashman collaboration was. The new songs are really weak. The lyrics don't fit in the music. It may be partly because some of the songs were originally written as score themes, though...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MILLENNIUM (Jean Michel Jarre)

Unofficial recording of the concert by the Egypt pyramids during the millennium turnover.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Yes I do. Franz founded the Los Angeles International Music Festival in 1947 and premiered eighty major works by Stravinsky, Walton, Schoenberg, Vaughan Williams and others for 20 years.

A man to be admired for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011 edited
    Songs from SILENT HILL (Akira Yamaoka & Mary Elizabeth McGlynn)

Listen to this, and dream away.

Or this one, a bit more uptempo.

I've been following the video game series since its inception and they've always had strong songs accompany them. I've been listening to them for years and it hands down beats all the commercial crap passing on the radio these days.

The singer Mary Elizabeth McGlynn has a fantastic voice IMHO, but it's the pairing with Akira Yamaoka, the sound designer and composer for the games that gives songs like these a truly special ambience. Because she adds so much soul to these songs I'm a big fan and I hope she continues in the same direction.

She's also in this truly gorgeous ending theme for the Ace Combat V game. Wondrous and heart-breaking performance !!!

Just wondering if more people here know of her and her great talent. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Franz Waxman and his Sinfonietta for String Orchestra & Timpani.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    NP: James Newton Howard's Hidalgo

I'm new to the site. Hi Tom!! Great to see some familiar names on here. It's been a long time. I hope life has been full of joy and inspiration for all of you. Keep the music playing! I look forward to learning and sharing with all of you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    Christian wrote
    NP: James Newton Howard's Hidalgo

I'm new to the site. Hi Tom!! Great to see some familiar names on here. It's been a long time. I hope life has been full of joy and inspiration for all of you. Keep the music playing! I look forward to learning and sharing with all of you.

oops. I posted a score in the non score thread. Sorry. Didn't read carefully.

Just turned on some Diana Krall so I could be compliant with the thread. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011 edited
    Christian wrote
    I'm new to the site.

To the site, maybe.
    To several people here, rather less. wink

Welcome back, Christian! wave
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    Martijn wrote
    Christian wrote
    I'm new to the site.

To the site, maybe.
    To several people here, rather less. wink

Welcome back, Christian! wave

That's true. I'm excited to be back! Thanks for the greeting my friend. I have spent a few years out of the enthusiast arena, living in LA and writing and you know what, although I was surrounded by film composers/filmmakers, I enjoy coming back to my roots where my passion began. Sometimes when you are in it you can't see the whole picture so stepping out of that box feels great- to just experience the music and share thoughts with all of you. smile

I'm grateful for all that I experienced out there though. That was a dream come true. Anyway... enough about all that. Back to the show.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No no NO! Christian, we want to know more....
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    Timmer wrote
    No no NO! Christian, we want to know more....

Know more? Hmmm... I'm sure my experiences will come up from time to time in future topics but I don't want to take attention away from the music or this thread by talking about myself.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Fair nuff, Christian. When you're up for it I ( and I'm sure others here ) would like to hear about your adventures in la la land cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    Timmer wrote
    Fair nuff, Christian. When you're up for it I ( and I'm sure others here ) would like to hear about your adventures in la la land cool

I appreciate the interest. Hope I didn't come off as being stuck up or anything, just difficult to summarize the many amazing experiences in a couple sentences. I wouldn't even know where to begin. It was a blast getting to actually mingle with some of my heroes though. When I wrote my book a few years ago, I met many composers but living in the middle of it is a whole different experience all-together. I had to often times act bigger than I was so to speak. If you don't have confidence out there, you are in big trouble. Those of you on this forum that are in the middle of it all know what I am talking about. It can be intimidating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2011
    NP: Sinfonietta for String Orchestra Bernard Herrmann. This was his first published work (1936) and wasn't revised until the year of his death (1975). This was the first recording of it (1992). What makes this interesting from a historical standpoint is there was material and ideas that ended up in Psycho. The work shows that he was deeply influenced by Arnold Schoenberg and his new avant-garde movement. As a result there isn't a hint of polyphony in this 17 minute work. However, I don't believe it is a twelve-tone atonal composition. But the fun is to listen carefully and you can pick out the phrases he used in Psycho.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/10/01/w … nd-waxman/

This is the review of the Herrmann work
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011
    Now I'm working on the second work on the CD from Franz Waxman
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011 edited
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/s … 955waxman/

the review of the material
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011
    NP: Andante for String OrchestraMiklos Rozsa This was taken from the first movement of his first string quartet.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2011
    NP : LA MER - Claude Debussy

There are times when I need something much more filling than film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    NP: Andante for String OrchestraMiklos Rozsa This was taken from the first movement of his first string quartet.

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/a … -22arozsa/

The review of it. I really enjoy Rozsa as a classical artist as much as some of his wonderful film scores.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE TIME MACHINE (Alan Parsons)

Nice post-APP album, although I miss Woolfson's haunting melodies.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm working on completing the last work on the CD I've been working on featuring Herrmann, Rozsa, and Waxman
    Tom