• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : DEFINITIVE HITS - Herb Alpert

Love it! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Love it! punk

That's because you have taste! beer

I'm always pleasantly surprised by friends of mine who exclaim how much they love hearing Herb Alpert, my friends, like everybody's have diverse and ecclectic taste ( though rarely film scores and classical ) in everything from early rock n' roll to punk, indie and dance, many of them wouldn't have dared to admit they liked the like of Herb Alpert in their youth, even prog-rock was a no go, I knew people who'd hide their albums of YES, Pink Floyd etc from the derision of their punky mates, I too had the piss taken from friends who thought I had "too much" film and classical albums. Those very same people now appreciate and admire such music, oh how age mellows us of our prejudices. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011
    Timmer wrote

I just love this album, it's just.....just so damned feel good! love

I haven't listened to them for a long time. I've seen them in concert I believe in the late 60's
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN GRILL - Hawkwind

A long long long time unplayed album, a shame too as I'd forgotten how damned good this album is, there's a few instrumentals too, check this one out...

WIND OF CHANGE

I love the violin when it comes in, incredibly moving and soulful, I think this track would have worked superbly in a Vietnam war film, considering the album is from 1974 it's still in the right time frame.

And here's another lovely track...

HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN GRILL
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Is it a variation of Grieg's In The Hall of the Mountain King?
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Is it a variation of Grieg's In The Hall of the Mountain King?
    Tom

Not at all Tom, both tracks are worth a listen, give them a try though I will say this isn't really an indication of Hawkwind's "normal" sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    He just punned the name I guess
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    He just punned the name I guess

Did you give it a listen Tom?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

A long long long time unplayed album, a shame too as I'd forgotten how damned good this album is, there's a few instrumentals too, check this one out...

WIND OF CHANGE

I love the violin when it comes in, incredibly moving and soulful, I think this track would have worked superbly in a Vietnam war film, considering the album is from 1974 it's still in the right time frame.

Of course, Hawkwind ( they describe themselves as Space Rock ) are probably best known for this track written and sung by former member LEMMY...

SILVER MACHINE

Ever heard of them Thor?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    yup pretty nice
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Ever heard of them Thor?

Yes, I've heard of Hawkwind. One of those bands I always intended to check out more properly, but never got around to.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Timmer wrote

WIND OF CHANGE

The latter piece famously served as the temp track for Bruce Smeaton's main theme for PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK. cool
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axx_yjPLjWk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: NOTHING LASTS BUT NOTHING IS LOST (Shpongle)

Love me some Sphongle.... cool
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2011
    Excellent CD that. One of my fave Shpongles!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011 edited
    I've had enough of playing multiple film music tracks, I just had an overwhelming desire to play this most popular and awesome of works...

NP : THE PLANETS - Gustav Holst

This is one of the best recordings ever with Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony Orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011
    Timmer wrote
    I've had enough of playing multiple film music tracks, I just had an overwhelming desire to play this most popular and awesome of works...

This is one of the best recordings ever with Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony Orchestra.

Highly recommended by myself as well.
    http://www.amazon.com/Holst-Planets-Gus … B0000041S7

Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : Concerto For Oboe and Strings in A Minor - Ralph Vaughan Williams

A lovely work.
  2. Need to hear it. I never heard of this one before!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Need to hear it. I never heard of this one before!

It's a 20 minute work in three movements Pawel, it's absolutely gorgeous and you must hear it!

There's a number of versions available, it's usually on collections of other non-symphonic works by the composer, though the one I played was included with SYMPHONY # 3 'PASTORAL' ( also a massive must hear if you don't know it? ) conducted by Bryden Thomson and the LSO.
  3. I've heard the Pastoral in London, off an old LP. The recording was very quiet, sadly. I did get to love it properly though. Vaughan Williams's personally preferred conductor (as you told me - Sir Adrian Boult) conducted the LPO on it. It was a Decca LP including the Fifth.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I've heard the Pastoral in London, off an old LP. The recording was very quiet, sadly. I did get to love it properly though. Vaughan Williams's personally preferred conductor (as you told me - Sir Adrian Boult) conducted the LPO on it. It was a Decca LP including the Fifth.

Hah! I have that very LP, a bit of an "oddity" in it's time because of the length of the two symphonies fitted on to one vinyl LP, very very rare to fit an hours plus worth of music on one disc.

I would highly recommend the Bryden Thomas recording on CD, I find the second movement of the Pastoral with it's 'last post' like solo trumpet incredibly moving, RVW wrote the sketches for this symphony while working as an ambulance driver in France during WW I.
  4. Ralph Vaughan Williams - 3rd Symphony (Pastoral)

Being a neophyte Vaughan Williams fan (that owing hugely to Timmer beer ), I had to listen to this again, especially that the recording I heard in London (Sir Adrian Boult with the LPO) was very quiet and I want to delve more into this beautiful work.

My first exposure to his work was Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis heard somewhere (and not Master and Commander), but then I heard The Lark Ascending which for a while was my waking-up piece.

This is performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra as conducted by Bernard Haitink.
  5. sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote

Highly recommended by myself as well.
    http://www.amazon.com/Holst-Planets-Gus … B0000041S7

Tom smile

I have it with another cover: a reissue maybe?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011
    I'm not actually sure Gilles? I vaguely remember hearing that Dutoit did two recordings. I'll have to look it up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011
    The price indicates that it has gone from a premium price to a lower budget release. Either way this is the recording to have although I admit I have others.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011
    NP : ARCHANDROID - Janelle Monae

One of the very best albums I bought this year, fucking brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2011
    never heard a note from it
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's a very ecclectic mix of styles but I doubt you'd like it Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I thought so
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rachmaninov's second Piano Concerto

A perfect piece of music. Not near perfection, not the closest thing to perfection - but actual perfection.