• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I was at a concert yesterday. Our local philharmonic orchestra played

- Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy: The Hebrides Ouverture op. 26
    - Richard Strauss: Four Last Songs (Frühling, September, Beim Schlafengehen, Im Abendrot). They had a great sopran: Eleonore Marguerre
    - Carl Reinecke: Symphonie no. 2 C minor "Hakon Jarl"

Never heard of Reinecke or that symphony. He wrote in the calssic romantic style, so I liked that quite a bit. Great concert.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    AC/DC-Guns'N'Roses-Iron Maiden fan...go figure

I'd have found this very disappointing if I didn't already know that you have a much wider and better ( IMO ) taste than this. wink

What the fook was I talking about confused I blame it on man-flu. I like quite a few tracks from the likes of Iron Maiden and AC/DC....... I think I must have focused purely on Guns N' Roses because I can't stand Axel Rose. I did like the guitar-lick in their Terminator 2 theme though wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    I think I must have focused purely on Guns N' Roses because I can't stand Axel Rose.

I don't think there's anyone in the world who likes him.
    It's not like he's hated so much, just universally despised.
    And rightly so, as he's an utter prick.

I think GnR's music is bleedin' awesome though!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    a new review of a massive set from Brilliant. In America it is distributed by Naxos for 129.95. Doing a little math that's a little over $2.00 for the 55 CD package.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Captain Future wrote
    I was at a concert yesterday. Our local philharmonic orchestra played

- Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy: The Hebrides Ouverture op. 26
    - Richard Strauss: Four Last Songs (Frühling, September, Beim Schlafengehen, Im Abendrot). They had a great sopran: Eleonore Marguerre
    - Carl Reinecke: Symphonie no. 2 C minor "Hakon Jarl"

Never heard of Reinecke or that symphony. He wrote in the calssic romantic style, so I liked that quite a bit. Great concert.

Never could warm up to Reinecke but I love the Hebrides overture. Sometime I'll have to try again with Carl

Tom smile
  2. NP: Mythodea (2001) - Vangelis

This is so magnificent. I like to comopare this with Mikis Theodorakis' Canto Olympico. Here Vangelis really comes eye to eye with his eminent fellow composer and conpatriot. Such a great work. As in Beauburg, Mask or Invisible Connections Vangelis goes way beyond pop music and reaches symphonic hights of complexity.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2014
    I'd never have thought of comparing MYTHODEA with CANTO OLYMPICO other than that both works are by Greek composers.

I do agree that both works are magnificent.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. It is a rather random comparison. I just wanted to point out that Vangelis has written high music here, serious music or whatever you call that in England. smile

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Okay!

smile
  4. NP: The Six Wifes of Henry VIII (1973) - Rick Wakeman

While I never got the connection between the pieces of music and the individual person it is supposed to portrait and while I don't like all the cues evenly, this still is an outstanding album. A must have for every fan of 70s prog rock music.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm not a fan of Wakeman. I met him backstage at Glastonbury some years ago and me and my mate got a picture taken with him, this was mainly to cause great envy in a mutual best friend who wasn't there but held Wakeman in the status of 'god like', showing him this pic blew his mind, to him this was basically the equivalent of me showing a photo to Thor of me having dinner with Danny Elfman, John Williams and Elliot Goldenthal at Jack Nicholson's house wink

Mr Wakeman was a really nice man. Now that I think of it I guess I could add him to film composers I've met?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I'm not a fan of Wakeman. I met him backstage at Glastonbury some years ago and me and my mate got a picture taken with him, this was mainly to cause great envy in a mutual best friend who wasn't there but held Wakeman in the status of 'god like', showing him this pic blew his mind, to him this was basically the equivalent of me showing a photo to Thor of me having dinner with Danny Elfman, John Williams and Elliot Goldenthal at Jack Nicholson's house wink

Mr Wakeman was a really nice man. Now that I think of it I guess I could add him to film composers I've met?

biggrin

Wasn't Wakeman on that tv show a few years ago, with grumpy old men talking about why they hated Christmas?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2014 edited
    Never saw it but I'd expect so.

Edit: Just checked, you're absolutely right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumpy_Old_Men_(TV_series)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2014 edited
    NP : THE MUSIC OF COLE PORTER - Michel Legrand

Wow! This is just so wonderful and so bloody refreshing after listening to some new "film music" dross the last few days. Wonderful and uplifting arrangements by a true maestro who doesn't need a frigging army to back him up.

( sorry, I'll probably calm down in a day or so rolleyes )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2014 edited
    NP : WATER COLORS - Pat Metheny

Wonderful, minimalistic album of shimmering beauty. I suspect a few people around these parts ( D, Michael, maybe Thor too? ) would possibly like this. ( Just checked, it's not available on Spotify )

Check this track out... OASIS

Cobweb may like to know that I only own this on LP wink
  5. NP: Symphoy No. 2; Gayaneh Suite; Spartacus Adagio - Aram Khachaturian
    The Vienna Philharmonics conducted by the composer in 1962

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2014
    James Horner
  6. Sabre Dance? No?
  7. Adagio smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Symphoy No. 2; Gayaneh Suite; Spartacus Adagio - Aram Khachaturian
    The Vienna Philharmonics conducted by the composer in 1962

Volker

another one I own.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2014
    NP : MOVEMENTS - Johnny Harris

Wonderful album from 1969 in the easy listening mould but with a bit of bite to it, love it! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Peer Gynt definitely one that should be an item in the basic classical collection.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : MOVEMENTS - Johnny Harris

Wonderful album from 1969 in the easy listening mould but with a bit of bite to it, love it! love

Here's some information on Harris...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Harris_(musician)

Really, this is honestly bloody great and if anyones interested it's available on Spotify.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2014
    "The Wasps" from Vaughan Williams. This has very quietly become an often listen for me.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/04/15/h … haikovsky/

Working on writing about the Tchaikovsky 55 CD box set
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/04/15/h … haikovsky/

Working on writing about the Tchaikovsky 55 CD box set
    Tom

Blimey Tom! You might as well make it a book. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    "The Wasps" from Vaughan Williams. This has very quietly become an often listen for me.
    Tom

No surprise that I love it. Such an uplifting piece.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Sergei Prokofiev

Probably his most recorded symphony. It's brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2014
    Timmer wrote

I'd vote that his 'Classical' symphony has been recorded more often. I'm still going through my Tchaikovsky box. 55 CD's is a lot.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2014 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'd vote that his 'Classical' symphony has been recorded more often. I'm still going through my Tchaikovsky box. 55 CD's is a lot.
    Tom

I'd vote that you're correct Tom. I keep forgetting that his Classical Symphony is considered his 1st symphony. It's usually written down on covers as A Classical Symphony.