• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : OCEANIC - Vangelis

Gorgeous! love

It is, isn't it?

Yes! My favourite track is Songs of The Sea. One of those rare tracks that touches me very deeply.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014
    I think my favourite is "Spanish Harbour".
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I think it's one of the albums that made me reassess Vangelis, who originally didn't really rock my boat years ago.

My favourite track is Fields of Coral smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2014
    NP : SYMPHONY # 11 - Dmitri Shostakovitch

This is one of the greatest 20th century symphonies and a very personal favourite of mine. This version is on Spotify conducted by the brilliant Valery Gergiev.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2014 edited
    Crumbs! at 12.10 into the 2nd movement and the outbreak of violence is drum fury steroid enhanced amphetimines shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ha! I know exactly which bit you mean. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Ha! I know exactly which bit you mean. biggrin

beer

Go and listen to Gergiev's version ( just that bit ), I've never heard it taken at that speed. It's frigging awesome!
  2. NP: Schizophonia (1977) - Mike Batt

Superb!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2014
    NP : WORD OF MOUTH - Jaco Pastorius

One of my favourite jazz albums. love
  3. NP: Light & Shade (2005) - Mike Oldfield

I return to the double CD album from time to time to see if I like it more than I remember it. Oldfield meets electronica. This could have been interesting but - no. Below meh.

slant Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Light & Shade (2005) - Mike Oldfield

I return to the double CD album from time to time to see if I like it more than I remember it. Oldfield meets electronica. This could have been interesting but - no. Below meh.

slant Volker

I'm sorry to say that I agree with you. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CONCERTO FOR GROUP AND ORCHESTRA - Deep Purple

Prog rock meets the symphony. The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by no less than Malcolm Arnold.

It is on Spotify for those interested.

I wonder if Arnold had anything to do with it composing wise. I'm sure he was an advisor at the very least.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014
    For those of you who haven't heard it Tchaikovsky's final opus , his 6th Symphony is a fine piece of classical music writing.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CONCERTO FOR GROUP AND ORCHESTRA - Deep Purple

Prog rock meets the symphony. The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by no less than Malcolm Arnold.

It is on Spotify for those interested.

I wonder if Arnold had anything to do with it composing wise. I'm sure he was an advisor at the very least.
    Tom

Possibly? I don't know. Jon Lord had a classical education and was an exceptional musician, he's credited with doing the first symphony orchestra / rock crossover.

Check it out Tom, I think it's worth your time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2014
    Finishing my review of Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony.
    Tom
  4. NP: Anthem of the Sun (1968) - [Greatful] Grateful Dead smile

Stunning!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2014 edited
    Grateful Dead even! wink

Bloody excellent album by the way. beer
  5. ABBA Live at Wembley Arena (1979/2014)

A brand new 2 CD set of that legendary concert. Back in 1980 a 40 minute program of the concert was released on vinyl. Later is was relased by Polydor as part of the initial ABBA releases on CD. In both remaster editions that have been released since this live concert was not included.
    Today Universal/Polydor for the first time releases the concert C&C in state of the art remastered sound.
    Stellar! smile

Volker

Edit: On the downside, the digipack is oversized and won't fit next to my other ABBA CDs. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2014
    Went back to a box of old LP's and thinking about Thor pulled out a Camden (RCA) album from 1964 of one of my favorite works Tchaikovsky's Pathetique, his last work before he committed suicide. It is performed by the Oslo Philharmonic conducted by Odd Gruner-Hegge. As long as I had it on the platter I burned a CD. Not even close to the best recording it is available for download for free at www.rediscovery.us. It is a fine example of the symphonic form.
    Tom
  6. NP: Bridge Over Troubled Water (1970) - Simon & Garfunkel

A magical album. Just magical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2014
    one of my old favorites Volker
  7. NP: Question of Balance (1970) - The Moody Blues

When psychedelic turned into progressive rock. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2014
    NP: THE RITE OF SPRING (Igor Stravinsky)

Michael Tilson Thomas conducting the San Franscisco Symphony. This is not only a cornerstone of 20th century music, it also had a tremendous influence on film music. While it is still challenging in many ways, it's a far cry from the uproar it caused at the time (1913).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2014
    Yes. It's impossible to imagine how it must have sounded to an audience back then.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014
    NP : THE ORCHESTRAL TUBULAR BELLS - Mike Oldfield

Orchestrated and conducted by David Bedford. Brilliant work, the only shame is that it's recorded at such a low volume, there are parts in this that are so powerful but you have to crank the volume right up, at times you have to strain to hear the quieter parts. I love this orchestral version and I wish someone would rerecord it.....properly!
  8. Sun - Thomas Bergersen

love cool punk
  9. NP: The Beyondness of Things (1998) - John Barry

This is not film music even though some ideas from Barry's rejected score for The Horse Whisperer have fueled this album if I remember correctly.

This is quintessential Barry. The sweeping strings from OUT OF AFRICA and DANCES WITH WOLFES, the lounge flair from MIDNIGHT COWBOY and the BOND love themes. It has been said, that Barry reflected upon his career with this album. What a wonderful way to do so.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2014
    NP : YOUR SOFT EYES - Kenny Drew Trio

Crap title for an album but this is quality Sunday listening jazz.
  10. NP: The Instrumental Works - Alan Parsons Project

Not a direct rip of said album but rather a reconstruction derived from the remastered studio albums. I added "Arrival" at the beginning and "Lucifer" at the end. Seriously, how can you make a compilation of APP instrumentals and skip "Lucifer"?

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014
    NP : PEER GYNT - Edvard Grieg

I couldn't put hand on heart and say it's true but this may have been the first classical work I fell in love with. I've known and loved this work since I was a small child and I still love it just as much today.