• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: TEO & TEA (2007) - Jean Michel Jarre

I did not listen to this album in ages. I remember I was hugely disappointed when it was released. I did not like it at all. I still thinks it's a rather weak album by JMJ's standarts. Yet I like it better now. Some great moments.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: The Visitor (1998) - Arena

Sublime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014
    working on a review of Grieg's symphony
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  3. I just discovered that

Ralph Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis

ia a brilliant companion to

Alan Hovhaness' Mysterious Mountain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I just discovered that

Indeed it is. Both of those are smack in the middle of the pastoral/religious sound that I -- and Timmer -- love so much, and we've been tutoring their value for some years now.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Try

Russian Easter Overture for orchestra, Op. 36 by Rimsky Korsakov

that I am now playing. It fits right there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks. Not familiar with that, but I love ol' Rimsky so I'll check it out.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Try

Russian Easter Overture for orchestra, Op. 36 by Rimsky Korsakov

that I am now playing. It fits right there.

Cripes! Been toooooo long since I heard this but I'll check it out again soon.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I just discovered that

Indeed it is. Both of those are smack in the middle of the pastoral/religious sound that I -- and Timmer -- love so much, and we've been tutoring their value for some years now.

Ah! We are all on the same card. cool

Check THIS gobsmackingly gorgeous Hovhaness piece out, Hovhaness himself alludes to the RVW influence about this work. To me it is like a bridge between 'Tallis' and The Lark Ascending and another edge too, his Armenian influence perhaps? Whatever, it's a transcendental piece of work.

( I believe Thor may already be familiar with this piece I posted if memory serves? )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2014
    Yeah, I remember that from awhile back. Also a great piece.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I just discovered that

Ah! We are all on the same card. cool

Check THIS gobsmackingly gorgeous Hovhaness piece out, Hovhaness himself alludes to the RVW influence about this work. To me it is like a bridge between 'Tallis' and The Lark Ascending and another edge too, his Armenian influence perhaps? Whatever, it's a transcendental piece of work.

( I believe Thor may already be familiar with this piece I posted if memory serves? )

The Russian Easter was one of the first LP's I owned and it is a fine example of the prowess of Korsakov's orchestration. He would have been a wonderful Hollywood composer in the tradition of Korngold.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2014
    My selection this morning is three selections from Sigurd Jorsalfar/Grieg. The Malmo Orchestra plays his material well.
    Tom
  5. NP: The Wall live in Berlin - Roger Waters
    Saturday 21st July 1990

Bryan Adams; James Galway; Jerry Hall; The Hooters; Cyndi Lauper; Ute Lemper; Van Morrison; Sinead O'Connor; The Scorpions; The East Berlin Radio Orchestra & Choir; The Mlitary Orchestra of the Soviet Army ...

I was in Berlin that night with my parents. I would have died to have a ticked, but even experiancing the buzz surrounding the event, all the fans roaming the place, was a thrill. That night I watches the live broadcast in my hotel room on a rediculously small TV set. Many performances were weak, performers not knowing their text, singing wrong words and notes, the sound in general was bad, but wtf?

I remember the evening of November 9th 1989. It was my father's birthday. (It would have been his 83rd anniversary today ...). The house was full of guests, I was watching TV and saw what was going on. I will never forget how I broke the news to everyone present that the Wall had come down.

Many happy memories.
    smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2014
    I remember seeing that show live on an old black/white television at our summer house in Denmark. Fond memories! Of course, I've since bought the DVD, but lots of nostalgia connected to this period. Even though I didn't live in Germany, we felt the implications of what was happening down there.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2014
    Synchrotones wrote
    Ooh, I'm loving Kiasmos (aka Olafur Arnalds + Janus Rasmussen). Dreamy piano, ambient synths mixed with stylish, (for the most part) minimalistic electronica (ie. beats and bass)... a wonderful chill out album rooted in dance; and towards the end, "Bent" hands out a serious asskicking - if you like this sort-of acid / trance-like music.

^
    Just so I remember to check this one out. The thread you posted in isn't one I'd think of checking.
  6. NP: One of These Nights (1975) - The Eagles

A fantastic album. My personal highlight of course is Bernie Leadon's instrumental "Journey of the Sorcerer" that was used in the original BBC radio play The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

Volker
  7. NP: Perry Rhodan: Pax Terra (1996) - Christopher Franke

A Babylon-5-styled concept album inspired by Germany's longest running pulp space opera series. Very nice.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2014
    NP : GREATEST HITS - Queen

punk cool
  8. Just played:
    Symphonie Nr.1 "Der Titan" - Gustav Mahler
    Berlin Philharmonics conducted by Claudio Abbado in 1989 / Deutsche Grammophon

One of my favourite symphonies.

Volker
  9. NP: Symphonie Nr. 2 "Auferstehung" - Gustav Mahler
    Lucerne Festival Orchestra; Orfeón Donostiarra conducted by Claudio Abbado in 2003 / Deutsche Grammophon

Sublime!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2014
    NP : MUSIC OF THE SPHERES - Mike Oldfield

I love this.
  10. One of my most personal all-time albums. Especially Harmonia Mundi smile

Vangelis - Mythodea

Interstellar got me back to this smile And of course it's great!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A great choice. Mythodea is fantastic.
  11. I'm collecting a couple of potential inspirations for my review of Interstellar (on my Polish site). All the scores are exquisite, so it's that more enjoyable (I'll write about the score in its specific thread some time later, I want to collect my thoughts).

You'll also enjoy the fact what I discovered recently, but allow me to write about it when I get back, probably to get some rest from the Interstellar preps smile .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    But the music Vangelis composed for the recent Rosetta/comet mission was rather disappointing, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. It gives you tremors of nostalgia. On the other side the anachronism is disappointing.
  13. NP: Alpha Centauri (1971) - Tangerine Dream

Flute, organ, contemporary electronics in the background, meandering melodies ... enchanting!

This album influenced every composer thereafter and - by a wired twist in spacetime - every composer that came before. biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Timmer wrote
    I love this.

It's great. Mike Oldfield via Karl Jenkins. Makes me wish that someone would re-record the orchestral versions of Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I love this.

It's great. Mike Oldfield via Karl Jenkins. Makes me wish that someone would re-record the orchestral versions of Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge.

You and me both! I'd have thought it would be commercially viable too?
  14. NP: Man on the Rocks Instrumental Version (2014) - Mike Oldfield

This album is a disappointment. Telling that I like the instrumental version better than the one with vocals. It makes for some OK undemanding background listening.

Volker