• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2011
    NP : THE BEST OF Curtis Mayfield

This is well superfly chicken cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Hanson is really under represented.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : IF THIS BASS COULD TALK - Stanley Clarke

A really fine, very melodic jazz album with mostly original compositions except for Charles Mingus's Goodbye Pork Pie Hat which is given a Weather Report like treatment here.

Excellent stuff!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2011
    Brahms Symphony No. 3 Very structured and well thought out
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2011
    RACHMANINOFF PIANO CONCERTO #4 Earl Wild Piano with Jascha Horenstein conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

We've been listening lately to a series of piano works from McCreary, Wiseman, Edwards, and Lang Lang. If you listen to this concerto it sounds like there could be three pianists it is so technically challenging, yikes. I had to take a break from miracle. Wild certainly understands how to play Rachmaninoff.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Rachmaninov should come with a warning that anything less than a virtuoso piano player will not be required.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Not quite so technical but a very beautiful memory is Bath's Cornish Rhapsody.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FOUR SEA INTERLUDES - Benjamin Britten

Superb!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote

Superb!

a superb work
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote

Superb!

a superb work

James Horner certainly thinks so too! wink
  1. I'm beginning to think our dad would likely find his place in this very topic talking to Tim and Tom mainly and mostly. You see he's into classical music and nothing else. Maybe I should get him register here, but he's a complete noob when it comes to forums, let alone PCs. And his (long) posts would most likely crash the server within minutes. So I'm thinking it would not be a good idea. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Could that be why you have a love of orchestral music Gilles?

Your Dad would be welcome here on this thread, perhaps Tom & I could turn him on to film scores!? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My dad is also a classical music buff (far more than I am, even though I'm also a fan), but he wouldn't be found posting on an internet messageboard about it. He barely replies to e-mails.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011
    Thor wrote
    My dad is also a classical music buff (far more than I am, even though I'm also a fan), but he wouldn't be found posting on an internet messageboard about it. He barely replies to e-mails.

The generation he is from doesn't necessarily embrace the net much.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm beginning to think our dad would likely find his place in this very topic talking to Tim and Tom mainly and mostly. You see he's into classical music and nothing else. Maybe I should get him register here, but he's a complete noob when it comes to forums, let alone PCs. And his (long) posts would most likely crash the server within minutes. So I'm thinking it would not be a good idea. biggrin

We would welcome him
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sibelius Symphony No. 4. This was easily his darkest work and one that he called a psychological symphony. The New Zealand Symphony is in fine form on this one.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm beginning to think our dad would likely find his place in this very topic talking to Tim and Tom mainly and mostly. You see he's into classical music and nothing else. Maybe I should get him register here, but he's a complete noob when it comes to forums, let alone PCs. And his (long) posts would most likely crash the server within minutes. So I'm thinking it would not be a good idea. biggrin

We would welcome him

I'm sure you would. But his stance on classical music being the ONLY music in the world worth listening to is not something I agree with.

And I just saw he has the same age as you. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Could that be why you have a love of orchestral music Gilles?

Your Dad would be welcome here on this thread, perhaps Tom & I could turn him on to film scores!? wink

Maybe that's why me and my bro have been into film music since we were little. Now I admit I like some classical stuff (mostly the lyrical or powerful music) but my precious time is entirely devoted to film and game scores and the other genres I'm into. So I won't deliberately put on a classical disc if I can just pick something from my collection.

Which is very narrow-minded, I admit. But I can live with it for now. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    pm me and I'll send you my email if he wants to correspond
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sibelius Symphony No 4.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Making Mirrors - Gotye

Very good album by this group whom I never of heard before this beautiful clip. Laidback, easygoing pop with an edge. At times a bit reminiscent of The Black Crowes ins tyle and tone, but less moody. Atmospheric, certainly, but not moody.

The referenced song Someone I Used To Know is a highlight with a strong cynical, hurt feel to it, but every song is worth listening to. The group is clearly very musical, with a diverse taste and talent to spare.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Making Mirrors - Gotye

Very good album by this group whom I never of heard before this beautiful clip. Laidback, easygoing pop with an edge. At times a bit reminiscent of The Black Crowes ins tyle and tone, but less moody. Atmospheric, certainly, but not moody.

The referenced song Someone I Used To Know is a highlight with a strong cynical, hurt feel to it, but every song is worth listening to. The group is clearly very musical, with a diverse taste and talent to spare.

I wasn't immediately taken until the chorus changed my mind. Very good tune, the singing makes the song.

Even the video is well done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    I wasn't immediately taken until the chorus changed my mind. Very good tune, the singing makes the song.

Even the video is well done.

My exact thoughts, Gilles! I agree with everything you said.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Still listening to Sibelius which I'll review
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CHESS (Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus)

My alltime favourite musical with some fantastic songs and a great score too. I often sing "Anthem" myself in various settings.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    never listened to it
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011
    You really don't need to bother Tom.

I don't like it Thor though it does have a couple of good songs, I'm not a fan of musicals but I can easily name ten that are far better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    will take your advice
    tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    You really don't need to bother Tom.

I don't like it Thor though it does have a couple of good songs, I'm not a fan of musicals but I can easily name ten that are far better.

To each their own etc.

There is really only one type of musical that I enjoy, and that is the big, lush, contemporary stage kind (or alternatively off-Broadway). I do love my Andrew Lloyd-Webber, for example, which I know you hate. I also adore Alan Menken's stuff. And Eric Woolfson's material (former Alan Parsons Project member).

But I've never been remotely interested in old-style Hollywood film musicals.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What about Gershwin and Girl Crazy?
    Tom