• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: To Jupiter and Back (2012) - Kebu
    on spotify

This is a tribute album to elctronica instrumental music of the 70s and 80s. It was recorded with vintage analoge synths, sequencer and tape machine. The sound time-warpes you right back to 1977 or so. The tribute is aimed chiefly towards Jean Michel Jarre, but some tracks habe a Vangelis vibe about them.
    I contemplated buying this, but then - I have staples of CDs from the original artists, so I didn't.

Whoever is interested in such stuff might also want to check out Elektronalin's Equinoxe 2.
    This guy recreated the sound of JMJ using freeware vsti synths.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2015
    Intriguing....haven't heard about that.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: Fly ... Night Bird - Roy Buchanan

A spacy guitar and synth piece that famously featured on the soundtrack of Carl Sagan's COSMOS.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Fly ... Night Bird - Roy Buchanan

A spacy guitar and synth piece that famously featured on the soundtrack of Carl Sagan's COSMOS.

Great track! Very Pink Floyd-ish even. Buchanan was a fantastic guitarist.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2015
    NP : THERE AND BACK - Jeff Beck

Brilliant instrumental album from the guitar maestro. Those who frequent this thread may know that this album has been a very regular play for me over the years.

You should check this out Captain ( and Thor ), I just looked and I see it is up on Spotify.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THERE AND BACK - Jeff Beck

Brilliant instrumental album from the guitar maestro. Those who frequent this thread may know that this album has been a very regular play for me over the years.

You should check this out Captain ( and Thor ), I just looked and I see it is up on Spotify.

I remember checking it out on a previous occasion when you recommended it, and liking it quite a bit. But it can't have made a big impact, since I haven't returned to it. I'll give it another Spotify spin.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: Waiting for Cousteau (1990) - Jean Michel Jarre

This is the only album by JMJ of which I was never able to obtain the 1997-or-so remaster for a reasonable prize. (50€+ slant ). So I was very pleased to buy the current re-re-master for €6,50. Otherwise I won't update, since the reviews of the new remasters are mixed at best and I am happy with what I have.

This album is not much talked about. I think its outstanding.

Volker
  4. NP: The Symphonic Jean Michel Jarre (2006)
    Tadlow/Silva

This album was talked about lately on this board and on others. I decided to buy it. Yeah, well, as Thor said on FSM recently, the conversion from synth to orchestra works better with some tracks than it does with others. To me the whole things sounds very "80-ish". In the 80s we had a wave of pop music played by orchestra: The Royal Philhamonic and other orchestras playing ABBA and Queen and whatnot, Rondo Veneciano, Doldinger's "Flug auf dem Glücksdrachen / Bastian's Happy Flight" also comes to mind.
    I'm very fine with those tracks that are symphonic in nature already in their original form, like "Industrial Revolution."
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2015 edited
    Yeah, some of the tracks on the SYMPHONIC JMJ album walks painfully close to those old "LSO Plays Classic Rock" albums (which I loved then, but not anymore).

WAITING FOR COSTEAU, however, is pretty fantastic. One of the few albums I have in LP format (given to me by my uncle back then, since he knew I was a JMJ fan), but copied to cassette and it was the cassette that was almost worn out. The title track is surely something to get lost in.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: The Orchestral Tubular Bells (1975) - Mike Oldfield

I bought this alongside The Symphonic Jean Michel Jarre. I believe the quality of the recording / the sound was bewailed in these parts. Sofar I don't concur. This sounds just fine.

On an unrelated note: I drank three pints of beer in quick order and I feel pleasantly tipsy. drink smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    On an unrelated note: I drank three pints of beer in quick order and I feel pleasantly tipsy. drink smile

MY MAN!!

beer
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Orchestral Tubular Bells (1975) - Mike Oldfield

I bought this alongside The Symphonic Jean Michel Jarre. I believe the quality of the recording / the sound was bewailed in these parts. Sofar I don't concur. This sounds just fine.

Volker

The volume is soooo q-u-i-e-t I have to turn the volume up LOUD!
  6. Captain Future wrote
    NP: To Jupiter and Back (2012) - Kebu
    on spotify

This is a tribute album to elctronica instrumental music of the 70s and 80s. It was recorded with vintage analoge synths, sequencer and tape machine. The sound time-warpes you right back to 1977 or so. The tribute is aimed chiefly towards Jean Michel Jarre, but some tracks habe a Vangelis vibe about them.
    I contemplated buying this, but then - I have staples of CDs from the original artists, so I didn't.

Whoever is interested in such stuff might also want to check out Elektronalin's Equinoxe 2.
    This guy recreated the sound of JMJ using freeware vsti synths.

Volker

I bought it too. It arrived from Finland today. I love it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Speaking of Oldfield I was just listening to some PEKKA POHJOLA

The superb Finnish bass player/composer once did an album with Oldfield. It's bloody excellent too but unfortunately, I believe, hard to get. ( nothing on Spotify )

NP : KEESOJEN LEHTO - Pekka Pohjola

This is that album I had featuring Mike Oldfield ( it also features his sister, Sally ), I used to have it on LP too, here in the UK it was released by Virgin as a MIKE OLDFIELD album under the title THE CONSEQUENCES OF INDECISIONS ( and very hard it is to find too ).

My favourite track can be found at the 5 minute mark HERE with Pohjola playing Harpsicord followed by Sally Oldfield's wordless vocals and Mike's guitar, this is musical nirvana for me.

The whole album is great, maybe both Volker and Thor should check it out here on the YT post above, unfortunately the album isn't available on either artist catalogue on Spotify.
  7. Sadly the YT video will not play in Germany for copyright reasons.

Anyway. I spotted a budget second hand copy and bought it in an act of blind faith. beer

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    Sadly the YT video will not play in Germany for copyright reasons.

Anyway. I spotted a budget second hand copy and bought it in an act of blind faith. beer

Volker

beer

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Let me know what you thought after listening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2015
    I'm sure it's all entirely too rautavaara.
    wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2015
    NP: BRUCKNER SYMPHONY NO. 4 "ROMANTIC"

This is a new recording from Reference Recordings. It is live performed by the Pittsburgh Symphony and the best I've heard ever. Fantastic liner notes from the conductor Manfred Honeck who explained the work so that all can understand. This is my next CD for review.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2015 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I'm sure it's all entirely too rautavaara.
    wink

For you dear Sir? Yes, most probably! wink ( in fact, considering his very modern "classical" influences I'd say his influence was more directly Rautavaara rather than Debussy.
  8. NP: Best of Gandalf (1987)

Gandalf ist an Austrian new age electronica artist. His music is comparable to Kitaro and Vangelis.

Volker
  9. NP: Journey to the Heart (1999) - Bernward Koch

Bernward Koch is an New Age piano and synth artist. He is fairly well known in the American New Age music scene where he entered the Billboard New Age charts. A local celebrity he lives about 3 km from my place.
  10. NP: Chichester Psalms - Leonard Bernstein
    I sing in a local choir, and we are performing this, as well as some Max Baumann in a few weeks.
    Really interesting music, the only tricky part is the lyrics, I have never sung in Hebrew before!
  11. I love ABBA

A playlist based on a German LP compilation my sister gave me as a Christmas gift over 30 years ago.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2015
    Nothing wrong with that. love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2015
    Giorgio Moroder is back...

Right Here, Right Now

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2015 edited
    Trying to get through the Bruckner information for my review and there are so many revisions it's getting to me.
    Tom crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2015
    now i see the smiles aren't working for me.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2015
    maybe the crazy one is just to drive me crazy
    Tom
  12. NP: Keesojen Lehto / The Mathemtician's Air Display (1977) - Pekka Pojohla

Klassik progressive rock in the same line as GENESIS, GENTLE GIANT or VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR, but flavoured with the sound of producer and instrumentalist Mike Oldfield.

Great, great music. Thanks, Timmer, for pointing this one out for me. beer

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2015 edited
    "phew" face-palm-mt <--wiping my brow

Glad you like it, I had a feeling you would. beer