• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015
    Martijn wrote
    It's better than my first association, which was with that utterly gross-out scene from Jackson's King Kong.
    Yuck.
    Seriously.
    Awful.

Nope.

Timmer wrote
    Check out this nightmarish hideosity ...and it's REAL!

Not for the squeamish.

p.s. I like the sci-fi influenced score.

Nope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015
    Oh...no. No no no no no no no.
    That was very unpleasant. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015 edited
    Well...

I love nature in all its beauty and ugliness but this one did have me a bit goggle eyed. Horrific!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    And while I'm at it:

Téo and Téa (2007) - JMJ

I just found the following on wikipedia:

This album was a mistake, a dumb thing to do. I had a lot of personal problems at the time, and I kept myself entertained playing with these samples. And then they were released as an album. But when I listen to the album today... well, one has to stand behind one's own work, I guess, but I really wouldn't do it again.

There is some good material there but, yeah, I guess he's right. But "they released it"? He had a say in that hadn't he?

Yes, I think he's being a bit hard on himself. True, it's more commercial and old-school and not as experimental as SESSSION 2000 and GEOMETRY OF LOVE, but it has some fine tracks if you look beyond the hitlist flirt title song.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Quasar 2C631 (1977) - Neuronium
    on Spotify

A classic of electronic music. Dreamy, spheric, "meditation-music" as we say in Germany. Not in my collection, because I have a pile of CDs by Klaus Schulze which are quite comparable in style.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Vacuum Logic (2015) - Maximilien Mathevon

An electronica album by our board's own Maximilien. Melodic, diverse and just fun to listen to. It's a tribute to the genre's giants from circa 1975-1982. You will find JMJ, Vangelis, TD referenced there in the most respectful way. At the same time it's Maximilien's very own voice that makes this album fresh and original.
    Thor, this is something for you to look into! smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2015
    I've already received a copy. Looking forward to hearing it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2015
    NP: SAMPLER (Paul van Dyk)

A personal sampler of some van Dyk hits -- not the most commercial stuff. And if you don't know who Paul van Dyk is, you need to get out more.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: Quasar 2C631 (1977) - Neuronium

Again. If you like the opening of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" this is for you.
    This album was originally released on the legendary EMI HARVEST label.

Volker
  4. NP: New Age of Earth (1977) - Ashra

A solo project by Manuel Göttsching. Ambient synth and wonderful guitar play.
  5. NP: Kontinuum (2007) - Klaus Schulze

There is a track called THOR (THUNDER) on this album. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2015
    This thread is turning into a electronica thread smile
    listen to more classical music!
  6. I should have looked if there is one. smile

But I have just turned to symphonic music again. So no further electronica posts pending.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015
    Volker you should check this one out.
    https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2015/02/18/ … stakovich/

Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015
    Working on a last minute review of Friedrich Witt's Symphony in A Major. This was a composer of some talent that was lost when the Beethoven era began in the early 19th century. His claim to fame is his Jena symphony which was thought to have been written by Beethoven.
    Tom
  7. NP: Solidarnosc - Live from Gdansk (2005) - Jean Michel Jarre

Came in this morning. The CD is part of the DVD set so most discographies don't count this as a regular album release. Great sound. Lots of exclusive material.
    Haven't seen the DVD jet.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Solidarnosc - Live from Gdansk (2005) - Jean Michel Jarre

Came in this morning. The CD is part of the DVD set so most discographies don't count this as a regular album release. Great sound. Lots of exclusive material.
    Haven't seen the DVD jet.

Volker

The DVD is great, but I've only played it, like, 2-3 times in the last 10 years. Too bad I bought all my Jarre DVDs (or in fact music DVDs in general) before the BluRay revolution. sad
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I still buy DVDs I don't see the difference on my rather small TVs. (one old tube, one new flat) I have hundrets of DVDs and woun't re-buy. The future is in streaming anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2015 edited
    NP: APRIL ORCHESTRA PRÉSENTE SYNTHESIZER II (Francis Rimbert)

Rimbert is the most steadfast performer collaborater of JMJ, but he's also done some solo albums. This is an example from 1983, consisting of synth tracks that are used as library music. Cheesy? A bit. But it's mostly great, vintage stuff even though the influence from his boss is clearly heard!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2015
    fuck off.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Captain Future wrote
    I still buy DVDs I don't see the difference on my rather small TVs. (one old tube, one new flat) I have hundrets of DVDs and woun't re-buy. The future is in streaming anyway.

Streaming is the way although we still have a following for VHS tapes and players at the thrift store.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2015/02/28/ … rich-witt/

My latest review
    Tom smile
  9. A "Greatest-Hits" compilation by Karat.

One of the best German language rock bands of the 70s and early 80s. Also one of the few East-German music stars who where also known and well liked in in West-Germany.

Volker
  10. NP: The Seven Wives of Henry VIII (1973) - Rick Wakeman

Utterly brilliant!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Seven Wives of Henry VIII (1973) - Rick Wakeman

Utterly brilliant!

I'm not really a fan of Rick Wakeman though I can appreciate his virtuosity and do like some of his stuff with Yes and his solo albums. I met him at Glastonbury a few years ago, lovely man who was really down to earth, I have a lot of respect for him.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. NP:
    Oxygéne 7-13 (1997) - Jean Michel Jarre
    This imho is too much of a rehash to be really satisfying. In contrast to the albums that preceded and succeeded it respectively I always found this one rather weak, good moments not withstanding.

Tubular Bells II (1993) - Mike Oldfield
    By direct - and quite random - comparison this seems to be a much fresher take on the original signature album.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP:
    Oxygéne 7-13 (1997) - Jean Michel Jarre
    This imho is too much of a rehash to be really satisfying. In contrast to the albums that preceded and succeeded it respectively I always found this one rather weak, good moments not withstanding.

This is a superb album -- great respect for the sounds of the original while keeping to certain elements that were popular at the time. I also have a VERY strong nostalgic relationship to it, maybe more than most other Jarres I own. It will take me too long to go into now.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. NP: Animals (1977) - Pink Floyd

A Roger Waters vehicle largely. And what a brilliant one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2015
    Stop playing my favourite music!
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Thor wrote
    Stop playing my favourite music!

Nope. wink

NP: The Final Cut (1983) - Pink Floyd

There is much disdain about this album. It's said to be a Waters solo album. (Well, it is.) Songs are said to be leftovers from The Wall. (They partly are.) Be that as it may: I can get drunk on this magnificent album.