• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Battlement (1978) - Neuschwanstein

A German progressive gem and the band's sole album. Positioned between the end of prog and the dawn of neo-prog it is a bit of a peculiarity. It's heavily influenced by Hackett's Genesis. Recommended for however likes this kind of music.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: SMILE (2004) - Brian Wilson

Nice and all and a great album to own if you know it's story.

I once watched a documentary about George Martin. At one point it showed Martin in some Californian studio fooling around with Beach Boys songs on a mixer console. How things came to live instantly by changing a bit here and there. Martin played the thing like a piano. I then thought that it would be awesome to have a compilation of Beach Boys songs remixed by George Martin.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: SMILE (2004) - Brian Wilson

Nice and all and a great album to own if you know it's story.

I once watched a documentary about George Martin. At one point it showed Martin in some Californian studio fooling around with Beach Boys songs on a mixer console. How things came to live instantly by changing a bit here and there. Martin played the thing like a piano. I then thought that it would be awesome to have a compilation of Beach Boys songs remixed by George Martin.

smile Volker

Yeah, I remember that documentary. It was actually George Martin doing a documentary series called "Behind the Scenes" or some such thing. At one point, he also visited Hans Zimmer's studio. When he visited Wilson and tinkered around with the mix, Wilson was delighted and thought it actually sounded better than his own mix.

Anyways, SMILE is an excellent album. A bit challenging at times (he was clearly experimenting with lots of different weird sonorities and harmonies), but ultimately rewarding.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Martin famously mixed Backdraft on album and he's known Hans from his Air-Edel days.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015 edited
    it would be easier to list who George Martin doesn't know.

PawelStroinski wrote
    Martin famously mixed Backdraft on album

Famously?? biggrin I don't think that's the work that trips off the tongue when people are asked who George Martin has worked with.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. In terms of film music? wink
  5. NP: Symphony No2; Lux Aeterna; Mosaics - Howard Hanson

This sounds like a great 40s Golden Age score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    In terms of film music? wink

Probably only Zimmer fans.

( I didn't know until you mentioned it but then I'm not a Zimmer fan and don't follow his career that closely )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. I thought you owned Backdraft? It was, though, 2002, when in an interview on an anniversary release Hans said that it was indeed THE George Martin who mixed it.
  7. NP: Symphonie Phantastique and other symphonic poems by Hector Berlioz
  8. I need to get back to Berlioz, really... I haven't listened to his stuff in AGES.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Symphony No2; Lux Aeterna; Mosaics - Howard Hanson

This sounds like a great 40s Golden Age score.

Good stuff. Quite a history associated with Howard Hanson
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2015
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I thought you owned Backdraft? It was, though, 2002, when in an interview on an anniversary release Hans said that it was indeed THE George Martin who mixed it.

Yes I do own BACKDRAFT, it's one of my favourite HZ scores. But I don't take much interest in who mixes what or who's worked with who when it comes to composers I have a limited interest in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2015
    When it comes to Martin composing, I'll take Live And Let Die. When jt comes to Martin mixing, I'll take the Beatles. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2015
    NP: The Lark Ascending - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Stunning. Just what I need after a stressful day dealing with absolute fucking morons.*

cool

*I shouldn't really say that about my customers but since nobody here knows where I work, it's fine.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2015
    We do need a 'like' button.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2015
    Pas de Deux - James Horner

Lovely. While John Williams' classical works are very differently written and performed from his works for film, this should appeal to all lovers of Horner and could've easily been written for a film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2015
    come on, pkay some funky music, white boy.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2015
    NP : MA VLAST - Bedrich Smetana

Don't know this? Your loss!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd be surprised if many people (here at least) hadn't heard it? Might not know it by name, like I didn't until quite recently, but it's a famous tune! (Right? uhm )
  9. Which means I'll check it out. Right now I'm listening to the soccer conference on the radio.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Your suspiciously-close-to-moral-relativism I can handle, but soccer? Soccer?

Also, you mean football.
  10. shame What possessed me? Football, of course! I beg for absolution!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2015 edited
    Thor wrote

I have absolutely no memory of writing this, but I love the fact that these drunken ramblings of mine are now so common here that they barely raise an eyebrow anymore. :D
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'd be surprised if many people (here at least) hadn't heard it? Might not know it by name, like I didn't until quite recently, but it's a famous tune! (Right? uhm )

Yeah, it is one of the popular classics but you're right that most people wouldn't know the title or the composers name, unlike say, Beethoven's 9th which was written by Mozart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Thor wrote

I have absolutely no memory of writing this, but I love the fact that these drunken ramblings of mine are now so common here that they barely raise an eyebrow anymore. :D

You should have seen all the vile, sarcastic comments I, as a reponsible mod, had to delete before you woke up!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  11. Pas De Deux Horner

First listen, really beautiful music.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2015
    Pas De Deux - James Horner

I suppose this comes with the disclaimer that it's James Horner and he does his usual tricks (including a snippet from Star Trek II he's used in several films since). Still, it has some nice moments and if anything, hearing those two solo instruments together is a new sound for the composer. I would have liked him to be more adventurous harmonically as this sounds very much like something he'd write for a film.
  12. The Planets - Gustav Holst / Recording of 1971
    Star Wars - Suite - John Williams / Recording of 1978

Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra / Zubin Mehta

Those two tone poems make for a great playlist!

Volker
  13. Josh B wrote
    Pas De Deux - James Horner

I suppose this comes with the disclaimer that it's James Horner and he does his usual tricks (including a snippet from Star Trek II he's used in several films since). Still, it has some nice moments and if anything, hearing those two solo instruments together is a new sound for the composer. I would have liked him to be more adventurous harmonically as this sounds very much like something he'd write for a film.

It is very nice to listen to. A bit meandering though for the first two parts before things "kick off" in the third part. And in this third movement it seems Horner just can't resist referencing his 80s film music. I thought that this latter reference would be a nice touch but in context to the piece as a whole it's a bit out of place.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn