• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2015 edited
    NP: THERE'S A WHOLE LALO SCHIFRIN GOIN' ON (Lalo Schifrin)

cool
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2015
    Muito bom! cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. NP: myself on the keyboard (Hammond emulation), yelling RING OF FIRE and COUNTRY ROADS among other songs. So far the neighbours did not complain. cool

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2015
    Ha! I love that.

You should hear me on any given karaoke night at a private location. Just ask anyone here.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2015
    Ballad of Heroes - Benjamin Britten

Britten was an astonishing composer, one of the finest of the 20th century and this piece is amazingly dark. Great choral work.
  2. Messa Da Requiem Verdi

Both an orchestral and choral tour de force, easily my favourite requiem, stunning music!
  3. NP: Ralph Vaughan Williams

- Fantasia on Greensleeves
    - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
    - The Lark Ascending
    - Symphony No 5

Powerful stuff. The Tallis piece sounds like Alan Hovhaness took quite a bit of inspiration from it.

Volker
  4. Speaking of Hovhaness: Mysterious Mountain. And why not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015
    The John Williams recording?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Nope, the other one. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Ralph Vaughan Williams

Powerful stuff. The Tallis piece sounds like Alan Hovhaness took quite a bit of inspiration from it.

This piece and he does give credit to RVW. There's a touch of 'Lark' in it too. Gorgeous music that touches me deeper than I maybe care for at the moment.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah. That's pretty...hard hitting, for lack of a better phrase.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. I've not watched this yet, but here's links to a documentary on Hovhaness:

Part 1 - https://youtu.be/zt29-ZcFaEI
    Part 2 - https://youtu.be/NWC5Nvw3dI8
    Part 3 - https://youtu.be/hKYnIvy3P1E
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Intriguing. Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nice one Alan, I'll watch that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. NP: James Last live in London
    Royal Albert Hall 01.05.1978

Just great! First rate performances in front of a mixed British-German audience going nuts.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2015
    NP: SIMPLE THINGS - Zero 7

Yes, it's that sort of evening. Beer very much in hand. Fucking bliss.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2015
    ^

Unbelievable that this album is already 14 years old. Granted, I didn't discover it until 2007 or so, but it still hits the spot in the same way it did 8 years ago.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2015
    LSH wrote
    ^

Unbelievable that this album is already 14 years old. Granted, I didn't discover it until 2007 or so, but it still hits the spot in the same way it did 8 years ago.

cool

Brilliant album as is the follow up When It Falls. the others not so great with some good moments.

Simple Things remains the classic and would be in my all time favourite 50 albums of all time ( soundtracks, classical, rock & pop and jazz included though cripes knows how I'd work out a top 50 of everything albums, I just know that one is in there )
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I suppose it's one of those moments where you have to say "fuck lists, this is just a great fucking collection of music". Which it is. So there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Best FACT ever. FACT!
  9. Symphony No. 1 - Sergei Rachmaninov

So THAT'S where James Horner got that motif from... biggrin cool
  10. NP: Pas De Deux James Horner

Utterly beautiful. Pure Horner and at the same time original and different.

Volker

Edit: I like the piece by Arvo Pärt, the one by Gionvanni Sollina not so much. The piece by Ludovico Einaudi is gorgeous.
  11. i'm really into 70s German band POPOL VUH!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2015
    Pas De Deux - James Horner

Giving this another chance. Wearing headphones, I have more appreciation for the first two movements. The third is basically Horner's greatest hits and works significantly less well for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2015
    https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2015/06/29/ … es-obrien/

My latest review which I feel is of interest to Alan. A very talented composer who I had no prior knowledge of.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2015
    NP: PAS DE DEUX (James Horner)

I'm not loving it, but then I was never a big fan of solo strings, especially when they basically fluctuate around the same tone throughout most of the piece. Becomes a bit grating eventually. Hopefully, though, it will grow on me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015
    Southall wrote
    For obvious reasons, I am listening to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBG8rIVIUNE

They ran out of Green Onions?
  12. Ralph Vaughn Williams symphony number 7 - sinfonia Antarctica - it's amazing. Particularly the Prelude. Very majestic and foreboding.