• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012
    This saturday I went to Ogham in concert! I still know Ogham from the bagpipe years in my life and a friend is their 'guest musician' in concerts so we wanted to go and see them.

Ogham is a Scottish folk band (founded 20 years ago near my town, so they are not Scottish, they play Scottish music!) with great musicians and an excellent singer. That woman has a beautiful voice. There was one quiet song, a ballad with only her singing and playing the harp, it was wonderful. You can listen to some clips on their website (by the way, some songs are sung by the men).
    http://www.ogham.nl/

But what I wanted to share here is a piece by the 'guest musicians', the bagpipe players who opened the concert in an awesome fashion with Hellbound Train. I'm so glad it's on YouTube, because that was just great. Also their performance is almost perfect, they are really really good players if not the best!!

It's a great piece and I love the way it builds up and some band members join them later on:
    http://youtu.be/Od57fkNbdlE

Now I need Alan's emoticon!! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    NP : JAZZ SAMBA - Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd

love

Now tell me does it get more chilled than this?

Very commercial Tim
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Paul Dukas will forever be remembered for this one piece of material "The Sorcerer's Apprentice." One of the more popular works in classical music.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    It's a great piece and I love the way it builds up and some band members join them later on:

I like this.
    I like this a LOT!

bhangra with kilts!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Paul Dukas will forever be remembered for this one piece of material "The Sorcerer's Apprentice." One of the more popular works in classical music.

I think popular myth has it that Dukas hated his work and almost destroyed it, but it was saved from the fire by a friend.
    Any truth to that, I wonder?
    It seems highly apocryphal.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Bregje wrote
    But what I wanted to share here is a piece by the 'guest musicians', the bagpipe players who opened the concert in an awesome fashion with Hellbound Train. I'm so glad it's on YouTube, because that was just great. Also their performance is almost perfect, they are really really good players if not the best!!

:kilt:

There you go!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote

I think popular myth has it that Dukas hated his work and almost destroyed it, but it was saved from the fire by a friend.

Dukas was a perfectionist which should answer the question.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote

Yes there is truth to that Martijn, as Tom said, he was a perfectionist and he did destroy a lot of his material, it is music we will never get to hear.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote

love

Very commercial Tim

It IS a very popular work Tom but not one in this day and age that very many people are familiar with.

And I hope you weren't implying commercial = mediochre wink Nothing mediochre about the likes of Jobim, Getz & Byrd.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012
    NP: Robert Schumann - Symphony no 4, D minor

I have been listening quite a bit to Schumann lately - I never did much before, and even though I have played some of his works in the orchestra, I've never really warmed up to him... maybe because his music is quite cumbersome to play for a violinist (so many notes) I have needed some time off to begin appreciating it fully and listening to it from another, wider, perspective.
    The structure of his symphonies and his orchestrations, especially the vigorous use of the brass, is really wonderful - and really engaging to listen to. I highly recommend those who have yet to discover Schumann to take a listen to his symphonies - it is rewarding indeed.
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote

love

Very commercial Tim

It IS a very popular work Tom but not one in this day and age that very many people are familiar with.

And I hope you weren't implying commercial = mediochre wink Nothing mediochre about the likes of Jobim, Getz & Byrd.

Not at all. I meant that it is one that doesn't stand out for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Manwe wrote
    NP: Robert Schumann - Symphony no 4, D minor

I have been listening quite a bit to Schumann lately - I never did much before, and even though I have played some of his works in the orchestra, I've never really warmed up to him... maybe because his music is quite cumbersome to play for a violinist (so many notes) I have needed some time off to begin appreciating it fully and listening to it from another, wider, perspective.
    The structure of his symphonies and his orchestrations, especially the vigorous use of the brass, is really wonderful - and really engaging to listen to. I highly recommend those who have yet to discover Schumann to take a listen to his symphonies - it is rewarding indeed.

I'll certainly second this approval
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote

love

Very commercial Tim

Not at all. I meant that it is one that doesn't stand out for me.

It does for me, one of the great pieces IMO cool To each their own though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012 edited
    NP: Leonard Bernstein: The Symphony Edition

I really enjoy his vibrant, aggressive take on these famous symphonies.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote

But what are you listening to in particular?

I'm guessing this is the massive multiple CD set? ( I don't have it but would like it )
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote

But what are you listening to in particular?

I'm guessing this is the massive multiple CD set? ( I don't have it but would like it )

I'm still in the Beethoven section. And I finally get Beethoven. Before, I liked his famous stuff (No.5 and Sonata) in passing, but Bernstein really draw out those brass line and strong punctuating phrasings that really permeate Beethoven's symphonies. The recording is so crispy and clear, you can bite into each notes.

THIS IS THE BOX SET. WORTH IT
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, it looks fantastic! A bit out of my price range right now but well worth it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    Yeah, it looks fantastic! A bit out of my price range right now but well worth it.

Well, yes, but it's 60 discs!!!!! That's like less than 2 dollars/disc. tongue

If you have a half-price book store (or something similar) nearby, chances are you might see it. I've seen a copy at a local shop a while ago.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, besides money it's the fact that I have most of those works by various orchestras/conducters ( and some by Bernstein ) on CD's already which makes it less of a priority but no less wanted at the same time dizzy But yes, for 60 discs that is incredible value and lets not forget that Leonard Bernstein is one of the greatest conductors who ever wielded a baton.

And yes, you're also right about book stores and the like, it's always worth keeping an eye out but I haven't seen that set anywhere in my vicinity yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    The last conductor I was interested in is Karajan, mostly due to his solemn and grand version of Mozart's Requiem. But Bernstein's vision align with my symphonic expectation so much more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Piano Concerto No. 2 Rachmaninov

If I was to have the testicular fortitude to come to such a decision, this would be a serious contender for my favourite piece of music ever. I listen to it quite often.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It depends more on which composers you're into, many conductors have more affinity with a particular composer than they will with others. Still, with some missfires you usually can't go too wrong with the really big names like Karajan, Bernstein, Ormandy, Boult, Muti, Rostropovitch, Gergiev etc.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : VALSES NOBLES ET SENTIMENTALES - Maurice Ravel

Lovely! This version is Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    It depends more on which composers you're into, many conductors have more affinity with a particular composer than they will with others. Still, with some missfires you usually can't go too wrong with the really big names like Karajan, Bernstein, Ormandy, Boult, Muti, Rostropovitch, Gergiev etc.

I recognized like 3 of those names. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Substitute one of them for Andre Previn and you can make it 4..... you do know Andre Previn...right??? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    Substitute one of them for Andre Previn and you can make it 4..... you do know Andre Previn...right??? wink

The frenchie, right? LOL.

Yeah, I have few of his.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The string quartets of Grieg. I'm preparing for a new version of them for string orchestra
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote

I like this.
    I like this a LOT!

bhangra with kilts!

Me too. Very danceable indeed! cheesy

Speaking of bhangra with kilts....... shocked tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    sdtom wrote
    The string quartets of Grieg. I'm preparing for a new version of them for string orchestra

Preparing? As in re-arranging? I did not know you were in the arranging field. I have dabbled a bit myself in re-working pieces in this way and have thought about the Grieg quartets as a potential candidate, as Grieg wrote more expansive parts than most musicians can comfortably play, and never with the force that Grieg seems to want from the ensemble.

Keep us posted on the progress!
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012 edited
    NP: IRIS (Danny Elfman)

The Cirque de Soleil show. A bit intense at times, but really quite diverse and with some cool ostinati and stuff. Love the more mellow bits. Very accessible.
    I am extremely serious.