• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2013
    Been concentrating on soundtracks again after a short absence from them. I can't just listen to them all the time.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2013
    NP : SINFONIETTA - Leos Janacek

Excellent.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2013
    Listening to a live recording on Spotify of Mozart's 25th Piano Concerto (one of my favorite pieces). The second half is Bruckner's Third, which I'm not familiar with. Not a big Bruckner fan but I'll stick it out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love Bruckner.......much more than I do Mozart.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Timmer wrote
    I love Bruckner.......much more than I do Mozart.

He's as verbose as Mahler but without the latter's good tunes. wink I made it through the symphony but don't remember a note. Very dull, overall. But damn, the Mozart was great!

(It's worth noting I don't like Wagner much either and Bruckner was clearly heavily inspired by him, as were many composers in those days.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love Wagner too ( no surprise to you there wink ), though he can, like an incredibly large finest steak dinner, be a bit too filling after a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    All good observations.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Prokofiev Symphony #4 is what I'm spinning this morning. The more I listen to him the more I like him.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2013
    Listened to Prokofiev's Fifth Piano Sonata and from that, tried a recommendation on Spotify for a Elnar Englund's Piano Concerto No. 1. It's like an unholy combo of Sibelius and Prokofiev and pretty damned entertaining. I have no regrets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2013
    I was up all night reading Prokofiev's biography. A nice read.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2013
    More Prokofiev this morning this time is 5th Symphony.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    More Prokofiev this morning this time is 5th Symphony.
    Tom

One of my favourite works. Great music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've moved on to a score we neglect "Alexander Nevsky," The Battle on the Ice sequence.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2013
    sdtom wrote
    I've moved on to a score we neglect "Alexander Nevsky," The Battle on the Ice sequence.
    Tom

Ahhhhhhh! The great and one and only James Horner. Good choice Tom! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Listening to a set of Faure Piano Quartets. Very pleasant music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Josh B wrote

I love Faure.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Timmer wrote
    Josh B wrote

I love Faure.

As a pianist, I once played a lot of his lieder and of course, I'm familiar with his wonderful Requiem but I haven't explored his smaller works much. Now, I've hunted down his complete chamber music (5 CDs) on Spotify and am going through it.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Np - Fauré's lovely chamber-orchestral work "Pavane"

Before that, and what I really wanted to post, was "Trois Chorals" (nr 1) by César Franck. Trying to follow up on my recent fascination with organ music, after attending the inauguration concert for a brand new church organ in the city cathedral here. There it was actually Fauré's "Requiem" that was performed in a transcribed version for organ and choir.

Anyway, the first of the chorals by Franck is richly detailed, melodic, labyrinth-like in its harmonic pondering. I feel drawn to the juxtaposition of awe-inspiring spirituality and complexity. It's a little reminiscent of Bach, except that the richness of romantic harmony takes precedence over individual voice-leading. Looking forward to repeated listening!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Fred Astaire the early years at RKO. Quite a change for me.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2013
    Some of the original Mercury recordings that used a single mike. They don't have the attributes of what the new digital recordings do but the soloists come through loud and clear and the performances are top drawer. The Detroit was a first class operation back in the early 50's.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2013
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/12/23/i … etzgliere/

In the review there is a link to listen to it for free. Take advantage
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2013
    http://rediscovery.us/conductors2.html

If you scroll down to the first Paul Paray entry and download it then listen to the Spider's Feast you'll hear the shrieking of the violins not unlike Psycho at about the 7 minute mark. The entire work is quite unique as well as the cover painting.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2013
    NP : SACRED CHORAL MUSIC - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Lovely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SACRED CHORAL MUSIC - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Lovely!

Wow, that's an intriguing title right there. Sounds right up my alley!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's made up of various pieces Thor, coming under the one title. It's a NAXOS release so it's cheap. No orchestra, just choir and in some pieces with Organ accompaniment.

I like it a lot and very appropriate sounding in this season.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2013
    NP : MUSIC OF THE SPHERES - Mike Oldfield

I love this.
  1. So do Pawel and me.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    First thing this morning I had a listen to Tchaikovsky's 4th.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ITAIPU - Philip Glass

A beast! Philip Glass on steroids.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STILL LIFE ( TALKING ) - Pat Metheny Group

Gods but I LOVE THIS ALBUM! Not a duff track from beginning to end, sublime musicianship and wonderful melodies, both Metheny and pianist Lyle Mays are great composers, I really can't big this album up enough.

This would easily be in my all time top 5 NON - film score/classical list ( Now there's an idea eh Thor? wink )