• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2016
    NP: ELECTRONICA 1: THE TIME MACHINE (Jean Michel Jarre/various)

I finally got my two physical volumes. Of course, I've heard several of the tracks over the last year or so (through Facebook, Youtube and other channels), but I've tried to stay as clear as possible -- to get my first proper exposure upon physical acquisition. It's predictably brilliant. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2016
    NP: ELECTRONICA 2: THE HEART OF NOISE (Jean Michel Jarre/various)

More great stuff! However, I'm disappointed by the Zimmer collaboration. I seriously doubt Hans had anything to do with it; there are very few, if any traces of his sound in the track.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Yes, I was disappointed by that track too. While I think that both albums are great, it is the first one that I like better.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2016 edited
    I haven't really made up my mind yet. Both have great and not-so-great tracks, but both albums are also incredibly entertaining with a myriad of different electronic styles. But yeah -- I guess if I HAD to choose at this point, I would pick the first too.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I am looking for a piece of presumably classical music. It might be Vaughan Williams as it is very much in the pastoral style that is characteristic for much of his music. A few notes resemble "Green Sleeves" but than it goes on in a different way. So it is clearly not the "Fantasia".
    Any idea?

smile Volker

EDIT: Solved. I should have known. It's the "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis." smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2016
    NP: A NIGHT ON THE TOWN - Bruce Hornsby & The Range

Revving for a night on the town myself and this is just the sort of material I need to warm up.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2016
    NP : THERE & BACK - Jeff Beck

Old favourite, great album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2016
    NP : SYMPHONY #1 - Meredith Willson

First time I've heard this and it's impressive stuff.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2016
    listening to Grandos, wonderful
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2016
    Arika Ifukube, composer of the Godzilla movies has a wonderful CD on Naxos with his classical works. Really like it
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2016
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SYMPHONY #1 - Meredith Willson

First time I've heard this and it's impressive stuff.

I love it too Timmer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2016
    Sibelius Symphony No. 5. The recording I have is Simon Rattle conducting The City of Birmingham Orchestra. He is a composer that I could listen to all day long when I'm working on a review or working with my stamps.
    Tom
  3. Symphony No. 7 - Bruckner: BBC Orchestra

Not a perfect recording -- the first movement comes across a little stodgy compared to Herbert von Karajan conducting the Vienna Philharmonic -- but a solid one and a great reason to visit this work, regardless.

I often hear Howard Shore in the pastoral strings in the opening and closing. An effect like heaven opening up. May have been on his radar, somehow, unconsciously, when writing Return of the King.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2016
    The 7th is my favourite Bruckner symphony, a great work.
  4. El Dorado - John Adams

This is one of my very favorites.
    Opens up with the orchestra seeming to imitate the overlapping motions and sounds of a natural environment. But once things speed up, it becomes clear the music's coming from a very human point of view. Ecstatic and celebratory. I love this one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2016
    NP : THE NUTCRACKER - Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky

Simply a wonderful, magnificent work.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2016
    NP : MYSTERIOUS MOUNTAIN - Alan Hovhaness

Beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2016
    sdtom wrote
    listening to Grandos, wonderful

Hello Tom! I agree Granados is wonderful! In fact I played Andaluza many years ago for my piano diploma exams. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2016
    NP : NIGHT VOYAGE - Christopher Gunning

A superb film composer and his concert works are damn good too.
  5. Pink Moon - Nick Drake

Nick Drake is easing me into the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2016 edited
    NP: ANOTHER WORLD (Paul Oakenfold)

One of my favourite Oakenfold sets, this double CD also includes some film music (BLADE RUNNER).

punk
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I always read "Oakenshield" dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2016
    Really? What's an Oakenshield?
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thorin Oakenshield -> The Hobbit, Tolkien
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2016
    Ah.

THORIN! What a name!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Yes, he's a dwarf. Must me a diminutive of you. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2016 edited
    NP: REBEL (John Miles)

I got this a few years ago because of the APP (Alan Parsons Project) connection, and it's obviously not that far removed, stylistically. Great album; my kind of symphonic/prog rock.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Sounds like I should concern myself with this. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Sounds like should concern myself with this. smile

Yes, you should check out REBEL and ZARAGON by Miles. Those are great albums, and it's no mystery that APP used him as a singer on several of their songs. But when he ventured further into the 80s, his solo stuff got more 'poppy' and 'saccharine'.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. "Music"! I knew John Miles rang a bell. Well I only found a best-of compilation on Spotify. The song "Rebel" is nice enough. I'll have to look further.