• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Yes but in this case that album (plus DSOTM) ignited an adoration for a band and by extension its 2 primary members, because I've since gone and bought most of the Floyd material as well as their solo material.

How can something that has been continually popular made me ignore them for such a long time is a big mystery. I must've heard Another Brick in the Wall 100 times on the radio (I even put it on one of my pop compilations with the helicopter intro and everything), yet up until 2013 it never even made me want to hear more. I used to think Pink Floyd was pretty far out there, psychedelic stuff, complex songs that seemed to go on and on. Well, I have now so much evolved in my musical tastes I absolutely dig that stuff.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Thor wrote
    They're all brilliant. I also like RADIO KAOS and THE PROS AND CONS OF HITCHHIKING. Less enthusiastic about his opera CA IRA.

I know of those three, but I have yet to check them out.

That opera seems like a bit of a misfire, and I do hope the upcoming album will be a continuation of 'Amused to Death'. I got the 2015 reissue of Amused and it sounds spectacular, comes with an Audio Blu-ray as well. love
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. I am familliar with The Final Cut but not with Waters' solo projects released under his owen banner. I'll look into these then.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Iron Maiden - Brave New World

From 2000, the return of Bruce Dickinson to the band after having left in the early 90s.

Never stopped being a fan of Maiden, I adore this one completely. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2017 edited
    Joris de Man, The Flight and others - Horizon: Zero Dawn

A lot of good stuff in this 4 hour soundtrack.

Edit: wrong topic. No delete button? Boooh! :-)
  5. NP: Spirit (2017) - Depeche Mode

Man, I really like this. I also have to check out Delta Machine. I don't think I ever listened to it.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2017
    NP: DAZE OF OUR LIVES (Filteria)

One of the classics of contemporary psytrance. Smokin' album! punk
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Spirit (2017) - Depeche Mode

Man, I really like this. I also have to check out Delta Machine. I don't think I ever listened to it.

Volker

I only ever owned one Depeche Mode: Some Great Reward. One of my fave 80s records (yes I had that at one point) I keep returning to again and again.
  7. NP: Heaven & Hell (1975) - Vangelis

Never ceases to amaze.

Volker
  8. First listen of Roger Waters' The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. What I noticed immediately were the contributions by Michael Kamen (the orchestra backing), Eric Clapton on guitar and David Sanborn on sax. Very cool to hear the distinctive saxophone sound in this record from 1984, 3 years before it would be immortalized as Murtaugh's theme in Lethal Weapon. cool

Pretty good album, I'm definitely buying it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017 edited
    Yes, Kamen was a "regular" in the Pink Floyd or Pink Floyd-related family for years. He definitely made his presence known, much like Andrew Powell on the Alan Parsons Project albums.

PROS AND CONS is a fine album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Yeah, on Floyd's (essentially Waters') The Final Cut Kamen's sound is very apparent.

Don't you find it funny that for me this is all quite new, I'm learning of stuff you have probably known for most of your life.

I don't think I was ready for Floyd all those years ago. So I decided to flat-out ignore them. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, on Floyd's (essentially Waters') The Final Cut Kamen's sound is very apparent.

Plus THE WALL, DIVISION BELL, Gilmour's ABOUT FACE.....after Kamen's death, Gilmour switched to Zbigniew Preisner for the orchestral stuff (ON AN ISLAND, RATTLE THAT LOCK). Certainly no slouch either!

DreamTheater wrote
    Don't you find it funny that for me this is all quite new, I'm learning of stuff you have probably known for most of your life.

Yes, but it's kinda cool to see someone discovering the music that's basically been part of one's own DNA for more than 30 years, for the very first time. I'm kinda envious. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I'm envious too since I believe that those epiphany like experiences have much to do with age. (Seeing Star Wars for the first time, reading Lord of the Rings or Dune, discovering Vangelis, JM Jarre, John Williams ...) You will experience that kind of gut feeling, that total immersion, seldom once you passed a certain age.

smile Volker
  10. Can't quite say why this is, but the older I get the more motivated I am to discover the artists / bands / composers from way back when that I may have missed out on, while being not motivated enough to follow the contemporary artists. Like for instance Adèle... I know maybe 2 songs she put out.

I believe subconsciously that the best period for music is already behind me (mainly when I was younger or not even born yet). Knowing that there is just too much out there and not enough hours in the day, I have to make choices in what I want to listen to. I'm fed up with listening to artists / composers who continually disappoint, so I dismiss them entirely.

And when I hear some of the crap young people listen to nowadays, I know I make the right decision by staying true to my musical preferences... For instance 80s and 90s rule (in a variety of genres), and that will probably never change.

Nostalgia plays a big part here, and I won't make any excuses for that. It's just how I'm built. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Thor wrote

Plus THE WALL, DIVISION BELL, Gilmour's ABOUT FACE.....after Kamen's death, Gilmour switched to Zbigniew Preisner for the orchestral stuff (ON AN ISLAND, RATTLE THAT LOCK). Certainly no slouch either!

I recently obtained all 4 solo Gilmour albums (there are 4 right?), and the first two appeal to me more than the other two that came after. Of course his sound has evolved, but I like the catchiness more of his self-titled and About Face. I have to listen some more to each one, so I may end up liking them all equally. Not familiar with Preisner, in that I haven't heard his scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    I recently obtained all 4 solo Gilmour albums (there are 4 right?)

Five if you count METALLIC SPHERES, which he did with The Orb. And obviously don't count the live albums and videos.

Have you looked into the Pink Floyd film music? That's a nice crossover right there.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Oh I will, I'm definitely hooked on these guys now. For life ! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017
    METALLIC SPHERES is a must IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. NP:
    Rosetta (2016) - Vangelis
    Oxygen 3 (2016) - Jean-Michel Jarre

While the former delivers an expertly crafted album that remains within known territory the latter tries to reinvent himself. Once you free yourself from all expectations that come with the name "Oxygene" you get to appreciate the many merits of this album.

Volker
  13. NP: Return to Ommadawn (2017) - Mike Oldfield

This album reminds me distinctly more of Songs of Distant Earth than Ommadown, but it's not as good. As pretty as it is petty. Nice music to have in the background but nothing much you'll remember afterwards.

Volker
  14. A spacey playlist:

Oxygene Part 1 - Jean-Michel Jarre
    Stardancer II - Klaus Schulze
    Spiral - Vangelis
    Spacelab - Kraftwerk
    Concerto for Violin & Orchestra 1st Movement - Philip Glass
    Movements of a Visionary - Tangerine Dream
    Interstellar: Stay - Hans Zimmer
    Solaris: Dream - Edward Artemiev
    End Titles Suite from Close Ecounters - John Williams
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2017
    Good playlist!
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Echoes by amazing Aussie Pink Floyd tribute band

Better than the original?

I happen to think so ! punk punk punk
  16. I don't. But it is a great performance.
  17. I've seen them live last year... one of the two times I've been to a rock concert in my life. biggrin

At the event I bought a DVD from one of their live shows and it gets regular plays. Love 'em. cool
  18. And the other time was Dream Theater ?

I, myself, Barclay James Harvest five times and Jean-Michel Jarre recently. That's all.

smile Volker
  19. No actually, Iron Maiden around 1988 or so.

Never been a concert fan actually. Not one for going to them physically or being in big crowds, but first time I was an impressionable kid wanting to hear my favorite band of the time, so I went with a couple of metal heads (they were a couple).

I actually prefer sitting at home with the receiver blasting out the live tunes on my big screen TV. I ALWAYS get the best seats (camera angles). smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2017
    NP : FORWARDS - The Egg

Love this album, chill out at its best.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2017 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    No actually, Iron Maiden around 1988 or so.

Never been a concert fan actually. Not one for going to them physically or being in big crowds, but first time I was an impressionable kid wanting to hear my favorite band of the time, so I went with a couple of metal heads (they were a couple).

I actually prefer sitting at home with the receiver blasting out the live tunes on my big screen TV. I ALWAYS get the best seats (camera angles). smile

Though I understand where you're coming from for me there is nothing quite like being in the thick of it at an awesome concert whether it's orchestral, rock, jazz, string quartet or whatever, for me it's barely comparable.