• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Piano Concerto No.3 in C-minor, Op.9 (1834) - William Sterndale Bennett

A Romantic piece. I caught it on the radio today, identified it on the online playlist (awesome service) and found it on YouTube. So far I was completely ignorant of that Bennett fellow.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Best of Smokie

And why not. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2017
    LOL! :D
    I am extremely serious.
  3. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People

The only one I own, and it's a keeper, just wonderful. love
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2017
    NP : INCANTATIONS - Mike Oldfield

Just great! One of my favourite Oldfield albums, a masterpiece.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. The Verve - Urban Hymns

One of my favorite rock albums ever released. Richard Ashcroft's voice = heavenly.
    Can't believe it's 20 years old already... shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2017
    NP : SHAKER LOOPS - John Adams

Love this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. NP: Te Deum - Arvo Pärt

https://youtu.be/jNxbT0MESTY

Haven't listened to this in a while but Thor's request for suggestions prompted me to listen to it again. Such a beautiful piece; the interplay between the human voice and the orchestra is spine-tingling.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2017
    It's beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2017
    Been listening to a lot of Benjamin Britten lately, especially his operas. He was truly one of the greats.
  6. Meddle - P.F.

Echoes ! Echoes ! Echoes ! Echoes ! Echoes ! Echoes !

It's a goddamn masterpiece. cheesy
  7. One of the quintessential pieces of progressive rock! love

smile Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017
    NP: FELT MOUNTAIN - Goldfrapp

Just brilliant! Loads of film score licks in this, particularly Morricone, Barry and Badalamenti.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017
    Six hour Spotify playlist of Mozart. This is pretty much perfection.
  8. New in the collection and now ripping:

The Blue Notebooks (2004) - Max Richter

This album contains "On the Nature of Daylight" that was used in the film "Arrival".

See You Later (1980) - Vangelis

I'm not impressed with the re-mastered series. I either can't notice any difference or too much of it (the added reverb on Heaven & Hell). But it made this long out of print album available again and that is a good thing.

I got me a fevery sinusitis that makes everything ache. So I'm not sure, if I am actually going to listen to any music. slant

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2017
    NP : TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION - Alan Parsons Project

Look Thor, I'm You today wink

Seriously though, I've always enjoyed this album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2017
    It's a great album! Eric Woolfson released a "sequel" album of sorts a few years ago, but it veers more into musical theatre. Less of the prog/art rock stylings of the original album.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I got a two disc best of Elton John set today. Sir Elton is not someone who would inspire me to start a dedicated collection, but man has he coined some fine songs!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    I got a two disc best of Elton John set today. Sir Elton is not someone who would inspire me to start a dedicated collection, but man has he coined some fine songs!

Volker

I love Elton John -- although the only album I have in physical format right now is GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD. But I had several cassettes as a kid. He visits Norway next month, but alas the ticket is too expensive, and it's in the South of Norway.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. NP: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

The original 1978 BBC Radio Play. Always a joy to return to!

cool Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

The original 1978 BBC Radio Play. Always a joy to return to!

I do that every so often as well.
    It's the one radio play I never tire of hearing, no matter how much by heart I know the lines in the meantime!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  11. NP: On the Frontier - Rautavaara

A compilation of works performed by the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra. On Spotify.

This is bloody brilliant! It reminds me of Stravinsky, Alex North and the more edgy side of Hovhaness (Vishnu).

smile Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: On the Frontier - Rautavaara

A compilation of works performed by the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra. On Spotify.

This is bloody brilliant! It reminds me of Stravinsky, Alex North and the more edgy side of Hovhaness (Vishnu).

smile Volker

On The LAST Frontier

Sooooooo pleased you like it so much beer

Helloooooo Martijn wave tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2017
    Bloody Germans. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. biggrin
  13. Wish You Were Here Symphonic

I'm wondering if any of the Floyd fans here have heard this orchestrated take on the classic album?

I didn't like it at first because it struck me as odd to hear the orchestra and Alice Cooper doing the vocals, especially on only 2 songs (in hindsight maybe for the best). Some additional listens later it's an interesting experiment, also because it must have been quite a challenge to arrange these complex songs for symphonic treatment. I like Cooper a lot actually but here singing on Wish You Were Here and Welcome to the Machine he doesn't sound right for the job somehow. The other songs are fully instrumental and WYWH has a second version without the vocals. The orchestra doesn't replace the original guys' seminal performances but I guess after a couple of listens it's finally starting to click and I can see it as just an alternate presentation with some fine performances.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Alice is a bit off and I guess it doesn't work as well as Floyd's which was more heartfelt and personal.

I quite like this album interpretation. Have you heard the symphonic Dark Side of The Moon? ( which I like more )

And how about Dub Side of The Moon? biggrin cool <spliff
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've heard a number of symphonic PF renditions, and none have really impressed me much.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2017
    Such a purist wink
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: On the Frontier - Rautavaara

smile Volker

I greatly enjoy listening to a three-disc compilation of his concertos (also on Spotify). The Violin, Harp, Cantus arcticus and Piano Concerto #3 are my favorites.