• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2017
    not suppose to be dissonant at all. Listen to it again and concentrate on the rhythm.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    part of the 30 CD Naxos Anniversary set is Gorecki Symphony No. 3 "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs" Very powerful work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SLOW MOTION (Supertramp)

Friggin' 15 years since this, their last studio album. Given Rick Davies' health issues, I doubt we'll see another. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2017
    still doing my review on Bruckner's Ninth with the Chicago Symphony.Muti knows the work well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2017
    My day was brightened on a rainy gloomy filled day with a new exciting work to me! Randall Thompson Symphony No. 2, written in 1931 it is a study in melodic rhythm tinged with a flair of jazz to it. The sound of it could very easily fit into a film soundtrack. Still working on the Bruckner piece but it is nice to take a break from it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2017
    I'm listening to Randall Thompson's Symphony No. 2 right now, thanks to your recommendation. It is excellent!
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2017
    thanks for the compliment cheesy Since I'm a reviewer for Naxos I'll have more material for you to listen to.
  1. NP: Reconstructed Artefacts (2003) - Synergy (Larry Fast)

Opulent Electronica. This genre was never as big in the US as it is In Europe. Brian Eno of course is the big exception and Larry Fast is kind of a sleeper. This compilation of rerecorded tracks is well worth exploring.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2017 edited
    NP : ENGLISH, IRISH, SCOTTISH, CORNISH DANCES - Malcolm Arnold

Superb work made up of traditional folk songs turned into short encapsulated orchestral works. This has long been a favourite of mine.

Just check out the gorgeous romanticism of this piece...
    Tune.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cor! That ain't half bad!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Crikey, that's bloody English and a half, innit?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2017
    Innit just.

A world of Wainwright and Constable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION - Elton John

My favourite Elton album. Bluesy, folky, and gospel-inspired Americana. Perfect.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's OK, but it's nowhere near GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock

Was inspired by the documentary I saw earlier, so I had to put this on. The man is a guitar god and he has a soothing voice too. It's good music but not brilliant.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. NP: Avalon (1982) - Roxy Music

Some albums are just perfect.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2017
    as you probably guessed already I have enjoyed the Arnold piece, in fact most of his material
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2017
    I'm working on my review of the 9th Bruckner Symphony and had no idea of the tragedy involved with it. As a few of you know it is not complete, only the first three movements. By the time he got around to doing the 4th movement he ould barely write and his ideas became scattere. The tragedy of it was delaying the completing of it due to meddler. He was constantly trying to improve some of his other works and by the time he got to do the final movement he was too feeble to complete it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2017 edited
    Listening to Thinking of a Place of the band The War on Drugs. Never heard of them until recently when they released this fabulous track. A very atmospheric and perhaps melancholic track. My girlfriend says it reminds her of Bob Dylan.
    Kazoo
  4. Hey, that is a wonderful piece!
    It reminds me of Dylan just insofar as the voice of the singer has some resemblance to the Nobel Laureate.
    The song itself has more in common with Santana methinks. Or Fleetwood Mac.

Volker
  5. Wrong thread.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2017
    My classical film music in the background is a flute concerto from Mozart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2017
    finishing up my review with the bruckner piece. As I've listened to it over and over it is truly a masterpiece but I must say that it required multiple listenings to change my mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PEER GYNT: UTFOR STUPET (Eirik Myhr)

Eirik and I attended the Short Film Festival in Grimstad, Norway last week, and he gave me two brand new CDs of his two PEER GYNT theatre scores (this being the first). Fine and varied stuff, especially the more ethereal bits.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Is it the original play by Ibsen? I have never seen it on stage. I had no idea that Grieg's famous music is generally deemed unsuitable for the play. (An early example for a rejected score?) But that is indeed what I just read on Wiki.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Is it the original play by Ibsen? I have never seen it on stage. I had no idea that Grieg's famous music is generally deemed unsuitable for the play. (An early example for a rejected score?) But that is indeed what I just read on Wiki.

Volker

No, it's more of a contemporary version of the original Ibsen play. It's actually staged several times in Norway, often in spectacular, outdoors venues like in this case.

The new music is by Eirik Myhr, who is a member here at the board. There are few references to the Grieg music -- perhaps in tone and style here and there. But this is really a different kettle of fish.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Truly sublime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PEER GYNT: SELVETS KEISER (Eirik Myhr)

More rock opera than the first, but still some of the gorgeous textures and instrumentals.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2017
    Thor wrote
    NP: PEER GYNT: UTFOR STUPET (Eirik Myhr)

Eirik and I attended the Short Film Festival in Grimstad, Norway last week, and he gave me two brand new CDs of his two PEER GYNT theatre scores (this being the first). Fine and varied stuff, especially the more ethereal bits.

I wonder how much it changed from the original? These kind of pieces fascinate me especially if there are indeed changes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2017
    There are no references to the Grieg music in that stage version. There is a brief cameo of the "Mountain King" chords in the sequel, SELVETS KEISER, that's it. You can check them out on Spotify, Tom.
    I am extremely serious.