• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2017
    NP: STAND UP (Jethro Tull)

Possibly their best album?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Tape #458, up to "Fire" (The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown), on side A.
  2. You have so many tapes of your own? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    You have so many tapes of your own? smile

Started in 1986! So, yeah. Still record today and I still have most of them... I just started to make my 600th cassette.
  4. Wow, what equipment do you (still!) play it on?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2017
    I'm guessing a cassette player.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. You don't say... or in Cindylover's case: a tape recorder. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. I still own a cassette player that I didn't use in years. Come to think of it, I own a cassette that I meant to digitalise for some time but never came round to do so.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have a whole collection of cassettes (both original and taped) -- I think about 150 of 'em -- that I think are on my parents' attic somewhere. I used to own a HiFi cassette player back in the 80s and 90s, but I don't know where that is. Maybe my dad threw it or gave it away, which would be a shame. BUT....I still have my trusted Akai Walkman in case I need to play my cassettes again.

I was so fortunate (or unfortunate) to come into my musical own right between LPs and CDs when MCs were all the rage.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. There's no such thing as a Akai Walkman. It's a SONY! biggrin
    (I wanted the original SONY so badly back then and instead got one from Philips... Memories!)

My first stereo tower that I bought from self earned money was by Akai. I loved that monster!

Some years ago I threw away all my mixed tapes. I have a collection of 80s pop compilations with everything and more that ever was on these tapes and in much better quality. So I rid myself from the tapes but the music is still with me.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2017 edited
    My dad actually had the signature yellow Sony Walkman (or Sportsman or whatever it was called), which I occasionally borrowed before I got my own, purple AIWA (sorry, not Akai) walkman, with a "super bass" option, no less.

Annoyingly, I can find no exact picture of my model on the internet. sad
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I once made a compilation tape (or 2, can't really remember) of a bunch of unreleased music that was only available directly in the film, like for example from Cocoon, Independence Day and Ghostbusters 2 and various cool main titles from a number of films I didn't have any music of on CD or otherwise, like Honey I Shrunk the Kids and Days of Thunder. The tapes of course had dialogue and sound effects included, but for a time it was the best I could ever hope for to hear this music away from the film.

Kids nowadays and their access to absolutely everything would have a hard time understanding what I'm talking about. Simpler times and all that. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. My very fist film music mixed tapes were main title melodies that I would record "through the air" on a tape recorder, since the TV set had no audio line out. I promised hell and damnation everyone who dared talking during the recording. I recorded those melodies first of all so I could memorise them better and play them on the piano.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, a lot of film music fans have seemingly done that (record from the TV, "through the air" etc.).

For some reason, I never did that. I did plenty of tapes (and film music mix tapes), but always from proper sources, like other cassettes, LPs or eventually CDs.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. A later TV set did have 5 pin audio out connector. (The same still used for MIDI.) And we had a tape deck to connect the TV to. Still, I remember, the result always sounded thin, stale and was unsatisfactory.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I copied JG's The Final Conflict off of a VHS on to cassette before any soundtrack was available.

I used to love making compilation tapes, film music, pop, rock, jazz....all sorts. I threw all my tapes away some years ago.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2017
    don't get me started on cassettes. You don't want to know what kind of collection I had and what I got rid of.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Chandos (10989x) has a new release called Explosive Classics. Many of the selections have been used in movies. Might be fun to guess if you forum posters would like. Ex. "In The Hall of the Mountain King." is in what films ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    You can still buy cassette players on the internet. Just saying .. ;-)

If vinyl is the hype now, why not cassettes in the near future?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2017 edited
    Oh, cassettes are already back in vogue among hipsters. As are walkmans, discmans etc.

Anyone noticed how prevalent both mixed tape cassettes and VHS tapes STILL are in movies and tv shows?
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Analogue cassette technology is still in frequent use in large parts of India and Africa. I tropic regions that technology is is less prone to failure than electronic devices.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Definitely. Cassette has been the main medium in India for several decades now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Oh, cassettes are already back in vogue among hipsters. As are walkmans, discmans etc.

Anyone noticed how prevalent both mixed tape cassettes and VHS tapes STILL are in movies and tv shows?

Yes, who can live without useless time rewinding and forward tapes, the hiss, the noise, the dramatic decrease of audio quality with each dozen of plays, the tangled up tapes, etc.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    plus the cassettes have a life and many of them have gone bad
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    any guess on the Grieg piece?
  12. sdtom wrote
    Chandos (10989x) has a new release called Explosive Classics. Many of the selections have been used in movies. Might be fun to guess if you forum posters would like. Ex. "In The Hall of the Mountain King." is in what films ?

According to Wiki:

Birth of a Nation 1915
    Trailer to Needful Things
    M (Fritz Lang)
    Rat Race
    The Social Network

Also it was used in individual episodes of various TV shows.

wink Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2017 edited
    NP: various 60's psychedelia from the likes of The Beatles, The Moody Blues, Soft Machine, Traffic, Jimi Hendrix, Cupid's Inspiration, Nirvana ( nothing to do with Kurt ) and others.

dizzy cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    sdtom wrote

M (Fritz Lang)

I think that may be the single most iconic use though.
    Absolutely harrowing!

"Nah so...das hat ich doch schon mal gehört....Das war doch..."
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  13. ^ One of the most frightening films I have ever seen.

NP: Harieschaim (2016) - Drangsal

German retro wave group. Songs in German and English. New Order and the likes are the inspiration here. Very well done. On Spotify.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2017
    I think M also.