• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2018
    Glad to be of help Lee. Apparently he could be an awkward cantankerous mofo. He was brilliant the first time I saw him, shit the second time but redeemed himself the third time. Like so many artists he had demons.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2018 edited
    I was listening to "Writing's on the Wall" by Sam Smith, which is a song I really don't like, but can't bring myself to hate because it makes me double over in laughter each time. The falsetto "How do I live? How do I breathe?" section is innappropriate for James Bond... to say the least. The song sounds written from the perspective of a scared 8-year-old girl, and juxtaposed next to Daniel Craig it becomes so wonderfully bizzare.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2018
    I love that song, and Sam Smith in general. Gorgeous voice!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote

it's a fine song, but do you think it works for Craig's bond?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    Thor wrote

it's a fine song, but do you think it works for Craig's bond?

Yeah, I don't see why not? It's elegant with giant chord leaps, like most Bond songs.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. The androgynous falsetto is actually a great comment on Craig's troubled character. The song itself is in the best tradition of Bond songs.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Also, since when were the Bond songs reflections of the actors playing Bond? They're rather about the Bond universe and the theme of the movie.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote
    The androgynous falsetto is actually a great comment on Craig's troubled character. The song itself is in the best tradition of Bond songs.

Volker

Craig has never struck me as troubled; he seems much more as a driving, almost psychopathic, beast. It's quite a performance. He doesn't seem to be wavering in, "How do I breathe?" territory....
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As someone who is really indifferent to Bond, I must say that the Craig films are my favourites. When they decided to readjust to the bar and style that the BOURNE films set, they improved radically. At least became more in line with my taste. I've never been a fan of the hokey/campy/tongue-in-cheek aspect of the pre-Brosnan films (and to a certain extent including the Brosnan films).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote
    As someone who is really indifferent to Bond, I must say that the Craig films are my favourites. When they decided to readjust to the bar and style that the BOURNE films set, they improved radically. At least became more in line with my taste. I've never been a fan of the hokey/campy/tongue-in-cheek aspect of the pre-Brosnan films (and to a certain extent including the Brosnan films).

completely agreed
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: INDELIBLY STAMPED (Supertramp)

punk
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I politely disagree. I was under the impression that with the most recent bond they veered away from imitating Bourne films and steered back towards the classic formula. Much to my satisfaction.

And:

Great album, but CRIME OF THE CENTURY remains my favourite Supertramp disc.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Disagree on Bond, agree on Supertramp! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: JUMP BACK: THE BEST OF.... (The Rolling Stones)

More punk
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TUBULAR BELLS - Mike Oldfield

A genius work. This is the original, it's been too long since I listened to this legendary work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Timmer wrote
    NP : TUBULAR BELLS - Mike Oldfield

A genius work. This is the original, it's been too long since I listened to this legendary work.

beer punk
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2018
    God of War - Bear McCreary

This is really terrific, both on disc and in the fantastic game. I'm a little sad that it hasn't gotten a lot of attention but I suppose that's the curse of video game scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2018
    jb1234 wrote

This is really terrific, both on disc and in the fantastic game. I'm a little sad that it hasn't gotten a lot of attention but I suppose that's the curse of video game scores.

Wrong thread, though. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FRIENDSHIP (Junipher Greene)

Interviewing Norwegian film composer legends Geir Bøhren & Bent Åserud in a couple of days, and brushing up on their past, including their prog rock stint with Junipher Greene. They wear their Jethro Tull and other influences on their sleeves, but they're largely considered one of the greatest prog rock bands in Norwegian history.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I recently listened to a lovely rendition of "Take on Me" as performed by a chamber ensemble. It's beautifully orchestrated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHbLuIxw3y4
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Thor wrote
    jb1234 wrote

Wrong thread, though. smile

Crap. I didn't read the subject line closely enough. I was wondering why it seemed weird game scores weren't allowed in the main thread, haha.
  3. Paris (1980) - Supertramp

One of these live recordings to simply lay back and enjoy.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2018
    NP: AMERICANS - JOHN BARRY

Been about 10 years (?) since I discovered this on its re-release. Always a rewarding listen.

cool
  4. NP: Unleashed - Two Steps From Hell

This is their most recent public release. IMO its one of their strongest. Nearly every Bergersen track is spell-binding and some of the Phoenix ones aren't that bad either. Bergersen is so talented he makes every other trailer music composer sound like they are the 2018 version of Lorne Balfe in comparison. I would pay so much money to be able to hear proper film music written by him. I'd love to see what he could do to play with and develop some of his melodies over the course of a structured 2 hour story.
  5. I liked that they made an uncompressed version available this time around, as their music is usually really brickwalled and loudness-wars-y (likely a requirement in the trailer music biz; same reason why ads are always so much louder than what's on TV rolleyes ). But on the other hand I was disappointed that for some reason they didn't offer instrumental versions of the tracks with lyrics like they usually do. I don't like songs. angry

I don't think it's among their very best albums (and as the years go on and I grow older and more jaded, I find less and less reasons to listen to anything Nick Phoenix has ever written), but "Impossible" and "Run Free" are a spectacular pair of tracks from that album, some of my most played from last year. Bergersen is a hell of a talent. Wonder what he's up to these days? Unfortunately I think he's on record saying he has no interest in scoring films...
  6. Didn't Bergersen have some kind of bad experience with scoring? I mean, he did write something for Modern Warfare 2 and even toyed with having a studio at RCP for a while.

My understanding is that Pirates 4 killed any enthusiasm Tom Gire and/or John Sponsler had for film work. Bruckheimer does that to people biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Bergersen/Phoenix were somehow involved in Pirates 4 as well, although I don't think any of their material ended up in the final score. I wouldn't be surprised if that experience sucked away any desire they might have had for getting into film scoring once and for all...Man, as if I didn't have enough reasons to hate that score, it also killed off a potential film scoring career for Bergersen? crazy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2018
    LSH wrote
    NP: AMERICANS - JOHN BARRY

Been about 10 years (?) since I discovered this on its re-release. Always a rewarding listen.

cool

I love this album.
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Bergersen/Phoenix were somehow involved in Pirates 4 as well, although I don't think any of their material ended up in the final score. I wouldn't be surprised if that experience sucked away any desire they might have had for getting into film scoring once and for all...Man, as if I didn't have enough reasons to hate that score, it also killed off a potential film scoring career for Bergersen? crazy

I'd have to take a look at the credits, but I think Bergersen worked on MW2 alone.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2018 edited
    NP: FELT MOUNTAIN - GOLDFRAPP

Allison Goldfrapp for Bond!!!

(the song, not the acting role)

cool