• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2018
    LSH wrote
    NP: FELT MOUNTAIN - GOLDFRAPP

Allison Goldfrapp for Bond!!!

(the song, not the acting role)

cool

Agree!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2018
    NP: SEVENTH TREE - GOLDFRAPP

Second favourite Goldfrapp record. There are some gorgeous numbers on this. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2018 edited
    NP: TALES OF US - GOLDFRAPP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCzoTQqEoFg shocked

I mean, do I really need to make more of a case for Bond?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2018
    LSH wrote
    NP: TALES OF US - GOLDFRAPP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCzoTQqEoFg shocked

I mean, do I really need to make more of a case for Bond?

Absolutely. There are a number of contenders from Goldfrapp...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzUEgBPkFgE
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: The song Africa (1982) - Rose Laurens

The French singer has passed away. I played the English language version of this on my mixed tape ad nauseam. I was 11 years old back then. smile
    I can't say I ever listened to anything else by her consciously.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2018
    NP: BERLINER MESSE (Arvo Pärt)

It's a bit 'samey', but quite lovely all in all.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    It's a bit 'samey'

Well, you know, minimalism... tongue
  3. NP: Revolver (1966) - The Beatles

Excellent album!

cool Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2018
    Controversially, I'm not much of a Beatles fan but that is one of the better albums in my opinion.

NP: KIND OF BLUE - Miles Davis

There's not really much I can add to the discussion about this classic but I just cracked open a bottle of red and I'm feeling very cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2018
    LSH wrote
    Controversially, I'm not much of a Beatles fan but that is one of the better albums in my opinion.

Me neither. One of those cases I appreciate what they've done and the quality in it, but not really triggering any big emotional response. Which is weird, because I'm a big fan of bands that cite them as an inspiration -- APP, ELO, 10CC, Beach Boys etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I bought all of their albums a few years ago, when the - excellent - remasters were released, including the Past-Masters and the "red and blue" compilations. I love to have them in my collection as a cultural item. A such they still have a place on my shelf and are not boxed away.
    I quite regularly return to The Beatles to revisit certain songs. I don't listen to whole albums too often though.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2018
    NP: THE ELECTRIC LADY - Janelle Monae

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2018
    Hubris Choral Works John Powell

Very impressive, and very little that seems to suggest this is written by the Powell we know from his scores. But it's not something I'm likely to ever listen to again. Perhaps if he did some piano or violin works, I'd be more interested. But opera is not for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2018
    I'm also skeptical. I bought CA IRA by Roger Waters because it was Roger Waters, but it's probably my least favourite Pink Floyd thing. I don't think opera is for me either.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Has the funeral of Stephen Hawking been covered by TV in the UK today? Vangelis wrote some special music for the event. The guest were given a CD. Did anyone have a chance to listen to the music?

Volker
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2018 edited
    Hubris - John Powell

Divorced from the need to write to picture and pleasing multiple filmmakers, this music shows Powell's classical influences much more clearly. It's intelligent, sometimes abrasive and frequently gorgeous. Definitely gonna need a bunch more listens to absorb it all.

(And man, I love classically trained voices. So pure.)
  6. At last a weekend with no pressing duties on my hands: I spend the afternoon sitting in the sunny garden and reading some undemanding, adventurous science fiction (The Expanse Vol 1 in preparation for the BluRays that are sitting on my shelf). This was accompanied by Vangelis' Rosetta and Pink Floyd's The Endless River. Life could be worse. smile

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2018
    NP : DEJAVU - Matty

Nicely chilled.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2018
    ^

What’s this? Anything I’d like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2018
    I've always loved Daft Punk's "Tron Legacy" score, but I hadn't listened to much of their other music, so I've been recently listening through their stuff in reverse chronological order. Wow. There's some really good stuff there. I especially love the song, "Touch".
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2018
    Aidabaida wrote
    I've always loved Daft Punk's "Tron Legacy" score, but I hadn't listened to much of their other music, so I've been recently listening through their stuff in reverse chronological order. Wow. There's some really good stuff there. I especially love the song, "Touch".

They're brilliant. Love the whole RANDOM ACCESS MEMORIES album, of course, as well as their 90s and early 2000s stuff (esp. HUMAN AFTER ALL). If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend Mia Hansen-Løve's film EDEN from 2014, which is a fictional story set to the rise of the French house wave in the 90s, with actors playing the Bangalters in a sort of AMADEUS-like sub plot (they're the "Mozarts" to which the "Salieri" of the protagonists have to compete with).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2018
    LSH wrote
    ^

What’s this? Anything I’d like?

Check it out on Spotify. not bad at all.
  7. NP: Shake, Shook, Shaken (2014) - The Dø

Melodic retro wave electronic pop. Another electonica pop duo from France.

Volker
  8. Since I busied myself with gardening all morning I treated myself to some French elctronica pop music inthe afternoon:

Shake, Shook, Shaken (2014) - The Dø
    Moon Safari (1998) - Air
    Random Access Memory (2013) - Daft Punk
    Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (2011) - M83

smile Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2018
    Captain Future wrote
    Since I busied myself with gardening all morning I treated myself to some French elctronica pop music inthe afternoon:

Shake, Shook, Shaken (2014) - The Dø
    Moon Safari (1998) - Air
    Random Access Memory (2013) - Daft Punk
    Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (2011) - M83

smile Volker

I don't know your first mention but I'll agree with the next three. A fine choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2018
    THE RICHEST MAN IN BABYLON - THIEVERY CORPORATION

Perfect for a languorous late afternoon in the garden, gin and tonic in hand.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2018 edited
    Indeed. I told myself I would have a drinking break between Saturday and the coming Thursday, but the weather's too fine, dammit. And the World Cup is on. Need to have beers all the time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2018
    I’ve not drank to excess on each day but cumulutively it has been a lot over the past few weeks. But then we’ve had a total freak wave of a Summer this year so far and it’s incredibly hard to resist the juice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2018
    It's impossible to resist. I find people who don't consume some sort of alcoholic beverage in this weather very suspicious indeed. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2018
    NP: THE MUTANT THEATRE (Juno Reactor)

Album of the year for me. Bits of Kraftwerk, Moroder, Vangelis, Daft Punk, but all within Ben Watkins' style. Check out "Let's Get On" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rzrsD5bL6s
    I am extremely serious.