• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    NP: THE MUTANT THEATRE (Juno Reactor)

Album of the year for me. Bits of Kraftwerk, Moroder, Vangelis, Daft Punk, but all within Ben Watkins' style. Check out "Let's Get On" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rzrsD5bL6s

Let's Get On is from another album though? Sounds interesting.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2018 edited
    No, it's from that album, released on June 22. You can check out the whole album on Bandcamp.

[Edit: Ah yes, I see what you mean -- I wrote "Let's Get On" rather than "Let's Turn On"]
    I am extremely serious.
  2. A Prussian Requiem John Powell

I've really been enjoying this whole album of choral works but I particularly love the final five minutes of the final movement of 'A Prussian Requiem', just absolutely gorgeous and transcendental music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2018
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Bliss!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2018
    ^ Love that one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2018 edited
    SEEDS OF LOVE - TEARS FOR FEARS

I'm drunk and I need some massively over-produced symphonic 80's pop-rock.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2018 edited
    BLACK CHERRY - GOLDFRAPP

It's the 'downtime' moments in this album I value the most. The sumptuous title track and the truly hypnotic Hairy Trees are both deliciously dreamy highlights.

cool
  3. A musical about a pack of rack tag cats and an old cat lady finally reaching the Heaviside Layer. cat

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2018
    I am not into classical music, and A Prussian Requiem by John Powell was not my cup of tea. However, after listening to it a couple of times more it gets better and better! My favorite tracks are "Let the Rails Roll" and "The Gift"
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2018 edited
    SIMPLE THINGS - ZERO 7

This record always lends itself to more than a few spins during the summer but, since it's been so relentlessly warm, it has unsurprisingly found itself a great deal more 'in demand' - during these recent muggy evenings especially.

But what an album. It's been a firm favourite since the very first listen. It's soft, sexy, sumptuous, and incredibly comforting; a collaboration of many gifted and soulful musicians / vocalists. I have SO many excellent memories of times when this has been playing. It's just a perfect... perfect album which makes me sit back and grin madly each and every time I hear it. Gorgeous, languorous, almost tranquillising.

cool

I think only Tim could possibly match my enthusiasm for this masterpiece. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2018 edited
    I've tried it several times over the years, but it doesn't garner the same response in me as for you and Tim, I'm afraid. But it's pretty good, by all means. What happened to Zero 7, anyway?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2018
    It’s just a very personal album. I discovered it during the summer of 2008 when a lot of things happened in my life. It just encapsulates the entire experience.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It is a masterpiece from beginning to end. They've never matched it since and have been quiet for a few years now. When It Falls is excellent, it probably wouldn't pale as much if Simple Things never existed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And yes, it means so much to me too, my wife Mel introduced me to it and though our music taste both diverted and joined together at times this album in particular was a favourite of both of us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2018
    I'm glad you finally chimed in! biggrin It's quite possible that you recommended this to me in the first place - it would be interesting to look back through these threads to see if that it is the case.

But, seriously, if I could only choose a handful of albums to erase from my memory and then rediscover, this would most definitely be one of them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2018
    LSH wrote
    biggrin It's quite possible that you recommended this to me in the first place

My memory is too fucked to remember. I'm tempted to take the challenge and search for the first mention of this album. shocked dizzy cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … 720#Item_7

Thia is my first mention of Zero 7 on the forum, back in the summer of 2008, exactly as expected.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Wow! I ended up reading through loads of the pages there. It was so much busier then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2018
    NP: SEASONS, PT. 1 (Jan Hammer)

His brand new album, released a week ago. Loving it; it's pretty old-school Hammer -- could just as well have been released in the 80s or 90s.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Meaning, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2018 edited
    You know those rare moments when you feel a strangely specific 'way' and you - weirdly - know exactly which piece of music you need listen to? Well...

FIVE VARIANTS OF DIVES AND LAZARUS - RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS

The proverbial spot has most definitely been hit.

kiss

This is just so fucking gorgeous; I've now grown to expect a tear or two listening to what I like to think of as an unadulterated portrait of pastoral England in a thirteen-minute nutshell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2018
    Are you sure you've not turned into Timmer, LSH? wink

But yes, great piece.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Ralph Vaughan Willliams

A Chandos release of Norfolk Rhapsody No. 1, In the Fen Country, Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis, Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus, Fantasia on Greensleeves (which I'm on now) and The Lark Ascending.

Thanks to Lee's post above I actually discovered Five Variants. Of these on the album (the London Philharmonic conducted by Bryden Thomson) the one I knew very well was only The Lark Ascending which touched me so much once I had to start my day with it for about a week straight. This one is the only piece on the album to be performed by the LSO.

I think on this particular board everything has been said about the composer and some of these particular works. Largely thanks to Timmer I went through some of his catalogue, one I still discover and its influence on film music.

The shockers of this particular listen: Five Variants and its potential impact on Thomas Newman's Little Women. I realised how close the Tallis fantasia is to Horner's Troy theme, including some counterpoint even (Arnold never went as far in Stargate!). The impact it had on John Williams. You could understand War Horse or Angela's Ashes easily. But to realise how "Vaughanesque" Born on the Fourth of July is was a huge surprise to me.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2018
    I think I have that exact same album. It's superb.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2018
    Good to see so much love for RVW.

Off the top of my head there is RVW influences in a number of John Williams works, particularly Jane Eyre, Monsignor, Nixon, The Fury ( though mostly Herrmann influenced though he was a huge advocate of RVW's music ), Star Wars ( though that contains multiple influences we all know about ), Jaws 2, Heidi and the above mentioned by Pawel, I'm sure there's more.
  6. Tim, have you ever read deeper into potential philosophical or cultural influences of RVW? There is something inherently Romantic to his music. By Romantic I don't mean necessarily the fact that at heart he is a Romantic (and even Neoromantic) composer in the very rough musical sense (aka the whole 19th Century), considering his apprenticeship with Ravel, etc.

I am talking more about what Spielberg said in his liner notes for War Horse, stating that Williams drew inspiration from the poetry of William Wordsworth. And that led to one of what is perhaps the most "Vaughanesque" themes in recent years. I am talking about a specific approach to nature, as present in the poetry of especially Wordsworth of the early Romantic "Lake Poets", something that could be interesting to compare with the work of painters like Turner or (maybe especially) Constable.

Do you think there could be some kind of inspirational link?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. NP: Jeff Wayne's Krieg der Welten (1978)

Folks outside Germany might be surprised that there actually is a Greman version of War of the Worlds. Curd Jürgens equals Richard Burton as the narrator in my opinion. Nothing else was changed in that version.

Volker

PS: I prefer the original 1996 CD to the 2006 remix. This really seems to be an example of loudness warfare.
  8. Thor wrote
    NP: SEASONS, PT. 1 (Jan Hammer)

His brand new album, released a week ago. Loving it; it's pretty old-school Hammer -- could just as well have been released in the 80s or 90s.

Listening to it now on Spotify. This is indeed a feast of nostalgia. But very well done!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2018
    First half is better than the second half.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. NP: Silhouettes (2018) - Klaus Schulze

This kind of slowly evolving ambient electronic music is not for everyone. For me Schulze is a bit of a hit and miss affair. This album is a hit. I love it.

Volker