• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2019 edited
    NP: VESPERS (Sergei Rachmaninoff)

Such a gloriously religious choral piece, my heart melts every time. After I heard this performed live last year (in the Oslo cathedral), I was completely sold and it quickly rocketed into my Top 10 of favourite classical works.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Yeah, one of the most beautiful pieces. Consider the fact that at that point Rachmaninov was already lapsed and veering towards atheism.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. NP: Revolutions (1988) - Jean-Michel Jarre

It's been ages since I last listened to this album. I recently bought the Roland Boutique D-05 synthesizer. It's a recreation of the famous D-50 synth that Jarre created a number of factory sounds for. Those sounds were also uses on the Revolutions album which gave me reason to revisit it.
    I consider Revolutions to be one of Jarre's weaker albums. While there is some strong music on the first halve of the album, the second halve features some rather petty tootling. The last track "The Emigrant" sounds like an homage to Vangelis. Overall not bad, but Jarre has done better.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2019
    I disagree. I think it's one of Jarre's best.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2019
    NP: JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH (Rick Wakeman)

The only solo Wakeman album I have, actually, acquired after I first heard the LP in my dad's collection during my teenage years. Very "film music", for obvious reasons.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2019 edited
    NP: PRINTEMPS DE BOURGES 2002 (Jean Michel Jarre)

An intimate live performance of original material; first 23-minute track is basically Jarre's take on house, the remaining tracks are abstract, Stockhausen/Boulez-type experimentation. Great stuff!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: Vangelis: Nocturne The Piano Album (2019)

Great interpretations of classic tunes alongside new ones. Some of the new takes are surprisingly (and pleasantly) different from the original versions. So this is no rehash but a genuine fresh listening experience. It mostly is not piano solo as I expected but piano plus soft, subdued synth pads.
    Listen to this album in a comfortable chair, with something good to drink and closed eyes.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2019
    It's a great album. Spun it quite a few times after I first got it a few months ago.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2019
    Thor wrote
    NP: VESPERS (Sergei Rachmaninoff)

Such a gloriously religious choral piece, my heart melts every time. After I heard this performed live last year (in the Oslo cathedral), I was completely sold and it quickly rocketed into my Top 10 of favourite classical works.

Woah!!! I don't think I've ever heard this ( please don't be shocked ) I'm going to check it out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2019 edited
    NP: CUSTOM MIX - GOLDFRAPP

I'm melting.

I'm also very drunk.

cool
  4. NP: Underwater Sunlight (1986) - Tangerine Dream

The 80s saw Tangerine Dream drifting towards pop, without loosing their avant garde touch altogether. Boutique Label Esoteric Records / Cherry Red has now re-released four albums TD recorded after leaving Virgin. The style is somewhat reminiscent of Jan Hammer's music for Miami Vice from the same period of time. The box set "The Blue Years Studio Albums 1985-1987" contains: Le Parc, Green Desert, Underwater Sunlight and Tyger.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2019
    Interesting. I haven't heard that one.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2019 edited
    NP: SUBNAUTICA (Simon Chylinski)

Beautiful electronica game score from last year(?) that nobody ever heard. Has a bit of TD vibe going on too.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Subnautica and Underwater Sunlight ... that kind of fits. smile Anyway, I sampled Subnautica on YouTube. Nice. Since gaming is none of my hobbies, game scores regularly go by me unnoticed. So thanks for the heads up.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2019 edited
    Cool. I think you'd also like a couple of other synth scores I've recently reviewed on CT:

http://celluloidtunes.no/instant-family … l-andrews/
    http://celluloidtunes.no/dont-come-back … nny-jewel/

I still have a few more synth scores that I'm going to review, when I get the time. It's been some good releases recently, "below the radar" for most people.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2019
    NP: CRYSTAL CITY (Robert Parker)

Glorious 80s synthwave!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2019 edited
    NP: SPEAKING OF NOW - PAT METHENY GROUP

I faintly remember chatting drunkenly to Antonio Sánchez (of Birdman fame) in Ghent about this as he was the principal drummer on the album - as well as many of Metheny's subsequent records - but, unfortunately, I can recall nothing. spin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9F8OFn74zw

His girlfriend was hot though. I DO remember that.
  6. NP: Clutching at Straws (1987) - Marillion

The fourth and final album that Marillion would do with Fish at the helm. I love these albums.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2019
    Thor wrote
    Cool. I think you'd also like a couple of other synth scores I've recently reviewed on CT:

http://celluloidtunes.no/instant-family … l-andrews/
    http://celluloidtunes.no/dont-come-back … nny-jewel/

I still have a few more synth scores that I'm going to review, when I get the time. It's been some good releases recently, "below the radar" for most people.

Glad you enjoyed Instant Family, I thought that score flew under the radar last year. I actually enjoyed the film as well, I thought it was quite funny and while sanitised, felt genuinely touching at a few points (the ending at the courthouse brought it down for me a bit).
  7. Thor wrote
    NP: CRYSTAL CITY (Robert Parker)

Glorious 80s synthwave!

Indeed!
  8. NP: Kebu Live in Oslo (2019)

A concert recording of the retro electonica artist Kabu. Mostly his own compositions but also a few cover versions to celebrate his idols. I would have loved to see the show but in Germany there was no gig in my vicinity.
    The video is on amazon prime.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2019 edited
    NP: SILVER EYE (Goldfrapp)

Their 2017 album. Great stuff! I know that Timmer and others have been touting Goldfrapp's horn here for decades now, but I don't think I was ready for them before. Love this funky electropop stuff! I'm working my way through their discography -- from most recent back to the classics -- on Spotify.

(this was also prompted by the fact that Will Gregory apparently has scored a Serengeti documentary, according to a thread on FSM).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2019
    NP: SIMPLE THINGS - ZERO 7

An absolute masterpiece of an album. I always try my best to resist playing it all year until Summer arrives because I have so many good memories that this album evokes at this time of year. It’s just incredible.

cool
  9. NP: Music Inspired by The Lord of the Rings (1970) - Bo Hanson

Being a fan of both, psychedelic / progressive rock and The Lord of the Rings, it astounds me, that I only now stumbled across this album. I seems to command some cult following. I am not sure, what to make of it, but it at least seems interesting.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2019
    NP: GOLDFRAPP - BLACK CHERRY

Just, finally, moved into a new place after a weekend of nightmares. Wanted to play an actual CD and this was at the top of the massive pile in the first box I opened.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2019
    NP: HERGEST RIDGE. - Mike Oldfield Brilliant album!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Timmer wrote
    NP: HERGEST RIDGE. - Mike Oldfield Brilliant album!

Indeed. Possibly his most daring and progressive album.

Volker
  11. NP: Canto Olympico (1992) - Mikis Theodorakis

A work of breathtaking richness and beauty!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2020
    LSH wrote
    NP: SIMPLE THINGS - ZERO 7

An absolute masterpiece of an album. I always try my best to resist playing it all year until Summer arrives because I have so many good memories that this album evokes at this time of year. It’s just incredible.

cool

Morning Song from As It Falls has become my lockdown theme out here in Nepal, goes with the glorious scenery and means so much. One day I'll look back on these times and this song will encapsulate it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2020
    NP: WATERMARK (Enya)

I've been on an Enya binge for the last few weeks. I've only ever had her SHEPHERD MOONS album, but I've acquired another 6 studio album digitally recently, and loving every minute of it.
    I am extremely serious.