• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2011 edited
    Continued from here http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … v/#Item_15

NP : PLATINUM - Mike Oldfield

Still continuing on my Mike Oldfield kick cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2011
    NP: EAST OF THE SUN, WEST OF THE MOON (a-ha)

Always smooth listening.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2011 edited
    NP : BREAK SESSIONS - Various Artists

A selection of original jazz & funk tracks as sampled by many of todays Hip Hop, Rap etc artists. There's only two names on the album I recognise and that's Isaac Hayes and Bob James. Mel picked this up today in a second-hand store and I gotta say I think it's a 'find', I'm enjoying the heck out of it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE MUSIC OF Howard Hanson VOLUME 1

And straight into SYMPHONY # 2 "ROMANTIC" as almost all film music fans will know as the End Titles for ALIEN, it's been some time since I've listened to Hanson's works.
  1. I am sure people have moaned at the use of pieces such as this in film music - Hanson himself did. But if I had not heard this piece in Alien, I would probably never have come across Hanson's work.

The same goes for the work of US band Gravity Kills. But which film put me on to this band?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE MUSIC OF Howard Hanson VOLUME 1

And straight into SYMPHONY # 2 "ROMANTIC" as almost all film music fans will know as the End Titles for ALIEN, it's been some time since I've listened to Hanson's works.

Big fan of his work.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am sure people have moaned at the use of pieces such as this in film music - Hanson himself did. But if I had not heard this piece in Alien, I would probably never have come across Hanson's work.

The same goes for the work of US band Gravity Kills. But which film put me on to this band?

No idea?

As for the Hanson work, I came across it more by accident when I hired the LP from my local Library and recorded it onto cassette, probably at the same time as ALIEN came out? I agree with you that there are many people who would have become admirers of Hanson's work purely from seeing the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2011
    NP : HEAVEN & HELL - Vangelis

Superb stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Explore all of his symphonies
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Superb stuff!

Not my favourite album, but definitely some intriguing things going on.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Superb stuff!

Not my favourite album, but definitely some intriguing things going on.

Same here Thor but it has some great highlights. Funny enough I'm not so keen on the track used in Carl Sagan's COSMOS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/08/14/p … 1873-1943/

A work some of you might not be familiar with.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/c … hmaninoff/

Another work early on in Rachmaninoff's life you might not be familiar with.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2011 edited
    NP: JAZZ BEGINNINGS (John Williams/various)

Superb 2CD set of very early Williams piano recordings, including some of his own compositions from the late 50's. Smooth jazz as well as arrangements for the likes of crooner Johnny Desmond.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2011
    NP: DON QUIXOTE (Symphonic Engravings) composed by Kara Karayev He wrote in the 50's and 60's and was heavily influenced by the style of Shostakovich although he has put his stamp on his work. http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/01/13/o … a-karayev/ I pulled this one off the shelf because I just received a new CD of his Ballet Suites, released on the Delos label.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011
    NP: CONVERTING VEGETARIANS (Infected Mushroom)

Feeling a bit tired, so I had to put on some hardhitting Goa to psych myself up...going to our summer house in Denmark in one hour. It's a 8-9-hour trip, including 4 hours across the "pond", so need to stay awake.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011
    NP: Jamestown Concerto composed by William Perry. Perry is somewhat of a modern day Holst or Vaughan Williams in his writing about this early time in American History. While thought by some to be a cello concerto, the instrument does play an integral part, Perry blends the instrument more into the orchestra. This was a world premiere recording by a composer who is as well known to people as Edward Kay was to Hollywood.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This is the new non film score thread.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011 edited
    Accidentally posted this in the old thread because, yes, I was drunk. Am drunk rather...

NP: ONCE UPON A TIME - SIMPLE MINDS

A brilliant album for getting you pumped up for a night out... even though I've just arrived back home from one!

Feel-good it is indeed.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Symphonic Dances from West Side Story - Leonard Bernstein

AMAZING.
  2. NP: 1980s.FM
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2011
    William wrote

AMAZING.

Very good perhaps his best!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2011
    Yep! I love that piece. Got the chance to play principal on it last summer at a music camp. It was fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2011
    NP: DON QUIXOTE SYMPHONIC ENGRAVINGS BASED ON A FILM SCORE
    Kara Karayev
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011
    William wrote

AMAZING.

Indeed! A wonderful work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011 edited
    NP: The Lark Ascending VAUGHAN WILLIAMS Does music get any better?
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011
    sdtom wrote
    NP: The Lark Ascending VAUGHAN WILLIAMS Does music get any better?
    Tom

All a matter of opinion of course.

Except in MY BOOK, quite simply Tom, the answer is NO! biggrin wink
  3. So is in mine.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011
    NP : The Velvet Underground & Nico

Drugs, prostitution...it's all covered here complete with an album cover designed by Andy Warhol, artsy New York drug induced shtick.....I like it a lot!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011
    NP : ARCHANDROID - Janelle Monae

Fantastic album, love it! punk