• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007 edited
    *copied from: comingsoon.net*

Peter Jackson to Produce The Hobbit and Sequel!
    Source: New Line Cinema
    December 18, 2007

Academy Award-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson; Harry Sloan, Chairman and CEO, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM); Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs of New Line Cinema have jointly announced today that they have entered into the following series of agreements:

* MGM and New Line will co-finance and co-distribute two films, The Hobbit and a sequel to The Hobbit. New Line will distribute in North America and MGM will distribute internationally.

* Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh will serve as Executive Producers of two films based on The Hobbit. New Line will manage the production of the films, which will be shot simultaneously.

* Peter Jackson and New Line have settled all litigation relating to the "Lord of the Rings" (LOTR) Trilogy.

Said Peter Jackson, "I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line. 'The Lord of the Rings' is a legacy we proudly share with Bob and Michael, and together, we share that legacy with millions of loyal fans all over the world. We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth. I also want to thank Harry Sloan and our new friends at MGM for helping us find the common ground necessary to continue that journey."

"Peter Jackson has proven himself as the filmmaker who can bring the extraordinary imagination of Tolkien to life and we full heartedly agree with the fans worldwide who know he should be making 'The Hobbit,'" said Sloan, MGM's Chairman and CEO. "Now that we are all in agreement on 'The Hobbit,' we can focus on assembling the production team that will capture this phenomenal tale on film."

Bob Shaye, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO comments, "We are very pleased we have been able to resolve our differences, and that Peter and Fran will be actively and creatively involved with 'The Hobbit' movies. We know they will bring the same passion, care and talent to these films that they so ably accomplished with 'The Lord of the Rings' Trilogy."

"Peter is a visionary filmmaker, and he broke new ground with 'The Lord of the Rings,'" notes Michael Lynne, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO. "We're delighted he's back for 'The Hobbit' films and that the Tolkien saga will continue with his imprint. We greatly appreciate the efforts of Harry Sloan, who has been instrumental in helping us reach our new accord."

The two "Hobbit" films – The Hobbit and its sequel – are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, with pre-production beginning as soon as possible. Principal photography is tentatively set for a 2009 start, with the intention of The Hobbit release slated for 2010 and its sequel the following year, in 2011.

The Oscar-winning, critically-acclaimed LOTR Trilogy grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box-office. In 2003, "Return of the King" swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the eleven categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The Trilogy's production was also unprecedented at the time.

For more information about "The Hobbit" films, please visit TheHobbitBlog.com.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Wow, that's great news. Now the question is who will they get to direct.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Shore.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Shore to direct? He did a fantastic job on the music, but I'm not sure how he would do with directing. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Howard? Direct The Hobbit? Well, how much I'd like to see that (full focus on musical influences, surely!), I don't think it'll be going to happen dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What i was answering to, i think is obvious :P
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Let's hope the right actors are brought back where appropriate.

And let's also hope Shore is also on board.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormarie-lise
    a sequel to the Hobbit?
    So they will divide the book into two films? or is there another sequel I'm not aware of? (I always thought LOTR being the sequel to the Hobbit? confused )
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yep, The Hobbit is basically the prequel to The Lord of the Rings. There were ideas a while ago, when The Hobbit was not to be made due to certain conflicts that have cleared up now, to release another movie after The Hobbit that would build a certain bridge between Hobbit and LotR, which would be based on notes Tolkien had left and various elements from his stories from Middle Earth (Unfinished Tales).

I assume this is what they mean... though the way it is described in these new press-releases (also the way Empire talks about it), it seems they indeed split The Hobbit up into 2 films. I guess it will ultimately be a combination of all these ideas; they'll extend the Hobbit novel with the help of several other notes of Tolkien to get to 2 films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Timmer wrote
    Let's hope the right actors are brought back where appropriate.

Well, they always said they would be more then happy to resume their roles for The Hobbit... IF Peter Jackson was attached. And since he will produce, I guess we shouldn't worry about that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    There are a lot of sideway tracks that could be included, most prominently the storyline about what Gandalf did the whole time while Bilbo and the Dwarves got to Lonely Mountain (which is probably even more interesting than what hapens in the Hobbit itself). And the years between Bilbo´s return to the Shire and the beginning of The Fellowship certainly leave room for at least an hour of epilogue. biggrin

I´m opening up a bet:
    I bet the first movie will open up with a shot of the green door, very similar to the final shot of ROTK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2007
    Yay! That's great news! I hope Howard Shore returns to score them!!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    I think a lot of LOTR fans will crucify Sam Raimi (who is rumored to direct the two Hobbit films after he directs a horror film) if he doesn't bring Shore back to score the films. Other directors rumored to take the director's chair for the two films are Alfonso Cuaron, Guillermo del Toro and Matthew Vaughn.

Either of the four directors would be a good match. I'm a bit iffy about del Toro, though.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  1. Matt C wrote
    I think a lot of LOTR fans will crucify Sam Raimi (who is rumored to direct the two Hobbit films after he directs a horror film) if he doesn't bring Shore back to score the films.

Sam Raimi, eh? Big special effects involved? Good luck, Mr Shore. Better crack out the album arrangements of LOTR, they're about to be tracked in... biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. He will fire Shore, then he will have a fallout with Young, and we will get a LoDuca score in the end christmas_biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    and we will get a LoDuca score in the end christmas_biggrin

But not before Deborah Lurie and John Debney write additional music adapting Shore's themes for each scene that DeLuca's score was rejected from... dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007
    Matt C wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    and we will get a LoDuca score in the end christmas_biggrin

But not before Deborah Lurie and John Debney write additional music adapting Shore's themes for each scene that DeLuca's score was rejected from... dizzy

biggrin

(God we're nerds! dizzy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007
    shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Raimi directing would be like...a nightmare. Spider-man 3 was HORRIBLE.

On second thought...only if the same screenwriters were involved. Most of Spidey's problems came from poor plot and screenplay.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Scribe wrote
    Raimi directing would be like...a nightmare. Spider-man 3 was HORRIBLE.

On second thought...only if the same screenwriters were involved. Most of Spidey's problems came from poor plot and screenplay.

I hope, if Raimi does shoot The Hobbit, New Line won't give him grief over what to do -- they'll probably put a clause in his contract saying that he has to use Shore and let him do his own thing. Fran Walsh, Jackson and Phillippa Boyens would probably contribute the screenplay. If Raimi and the producers are left alone, they could really do a good job. Raimi has gotten a much better grasp of big budget action and visual effects, too, he could probably recapture the scope and depth of the original LOTR trilogy.

As for SM-3 Raimi co-wrote the story treatment with his brother, while Alvin Sargent wrote the actual script (for some reason, the Raimis got credited for the screenplay too). The real problem with the film was that the screenplay was rushed and the story wasn't properly laid out. Had Sony given Raimi and Sargent a few more months' time to work on the script (and cut out one of the two excess villains), likely it would've been as good as the second film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Matt C wrote
    I think a lot of LOTR fans will crucify Sam Raimi (who is rumored to direct the two Hobbit films after he directs a horror film) if he doesn't bring Shore back to score the films. Other directors rumored to take the director's chair for the two films are Alfonso Cuaron, Guillermo del Toro and Matthew Vaughn.

Either of the four directors would be a good match. I'm a bit iffy about del Toro, though.

I hope it is Alfonso Cuaron! I am already starting to imagine how the track "Battle of The Five Armies" will sound if Mr. Shore scores it :D
  3. Spider-man 3 was a massaker. God, I hate this movie, and I was so in love with part 2... I have no idea what I want. I know Raimi could do it, but so can the other ones. No idea. I hope Jackson´s influence will be big enough to get some great stuff together anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It makes no difference to me, i hated all three of them. slant wink
  4. Doesn't anyone else feel a certain indifference to the idea of The Hobbit being filmed? I for one am quite happy with the ample visit to Middle Earth that The Lord of The Rings gave.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007
    Falkirk,
    As a LOTR/Tolkien fanatical freak myself, I have great concern for the Hobbit's outcome, as should
    all serious fans. PJ should definitely be the one to direct the Hobbit. It wouldn's be as good any other way... the man is a machine for getting his 'perfect' shots etc.
    As far as the Hobbit sequel; I absolutly obhorr the idea - we've all seen it in Star Wars so there is no
    point to bridge is again... as someone early put the idea. Is it not correct to say that the Hobbit bridges
    quite well to LOTR? Afterall its the "enchanting sequel" that sets up all to come in the Lord of the Rings.
  5. I can certainly see that there are strong links between The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings - though LoTR was not conceived originally as a sequel to The Hobbit. Didn't it more rightly evolve into something that had links with the original book?

There's such a look and feel to the movies that someone other than Jackson at the helm would be at risk of being so different from the trilogy as to be doomed to being a poor relation to the trilogy.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. I would rather this piece were taken on by Peter Weir as once rumoured. If we're going to go to Middle Earth again, we should get a different vision of the place. The opportunity to make films of that universe will not come again for a long time, and it would be a shame to waste it all on one director.
  7. franz_conrad wrote
    I would rather this piece were taken on by Peter Weir as once rumoured. If we're going to go to Middle Earth again, we should get a different vision of the place. The opportunity to make films of that universe will not come again for a long time, and it would be a shame to waste it all on one director.

I'd disagree with you, Michael on this one.

Personally, I'd prefer the continuity across the board. Jackson, etal. nailed it so squarely on the head that it would be too distracting for a different visual reference.
  8. Then we shall be as enemies! wink

I actually, I don't really care to be honest. I share the indifference you earlier cited, partly because I don't think even a couple of years have been very kind to the Jackson films. Between that and THE GOLDEN COMPASS and the very-flat NARNIA adaptation, I wonder whether cinema is terribly well equipped with these kinds of novels. They seem to work better when the original author is making the storytelling decisions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    Jackson should do them, no doubt about that.
    I am extremely serious.