• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2012
    Also, I believe the eagles were afraid to go any further towards doom, so they couldn't simply be brought to the mountain and be done with it.
  1. BobdH wrote
    Also, I believe the eagles were afraid to go any further towards doom, so they couldn't simply be brought to the mountain and be done with it.

Seen this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoSJKQmloVg

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    applause

But we all know why it isn't that simple. If there was no problem there would be no book.
    And I'm sure the eagles are explained somewhere, like Bob said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    My review of the score and theme's usage for anyone interested smile http://demetrischristodoulides.com/2012 … rney-1010/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013 edited
    Saw the movie in 3D today and bit of a mixed bag for me; The best scenes involve the returning characters from the trilogy and the quest with its decent share of battles and adventure.

Two main gripes with the movie:

1 The new HD/framerate look Jackson went for which looked extremely cheap in the opening sequence involving the shire. For the Belgian & Dutch peeps here, it felt like I was watching a Kabouter Plop movie. I don't like every shot to have everything (background, foreground, actors) sharp all the time, it makes the shot choices seems arbitrary as there is no sense of focus. I do like the effect of seeing the action sequences now as that becomes a lot clearer and better staged.

2 I'm not going to use a spoiler alert here, because really the first sequence you see involves a dragon, you don't get to see it in the opening montage (only the damage it does to a city) but it is setup early on that there will be a big battle/confrontation to come between Bilbo & co and the dragon. Let me save you from the disappointment of finding out that the big climax involving said dragon is ... yes ... ported over to the next movie, which bummed me out immensely.

In conclusion, the opening shire sequence with tons of boring exposition and dwarf characters I didn't care for went on way too long (to the point I nearly fell asleep), and it's mostly the last two acts of the movie that had me sitting on the edge of my seat. My brother -who read the book- told me they shouldn't have done the 3 picture format but were better of to stick to two movies, but hey, milk that cash cow I get that. But where is my freaking dragon climax?!? wink
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013
    It's interesting how short the cues are (especially in the first hour of the movie, where most aren't longer than a minute). It must have been hell figuring out how to make a smooth listening experience out of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013
    After part one I would also say a duology (?) would have been better for the pace. But I can only judge in 2014 after it has finished.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013 edited
    I'd agree with that, just having seen it yesterday.

I thought Martin Freeman was excellent! But then I liked most performances. For a Fantasy film, the talent was considerable!
    And like Francis, I very much enjoyed the cameos from the Rings trilogy - especially when I -totally unexpectedly- heard [spoiler]The Voice[/spoiler]...and [spoiler]Saruman[/spoiler] came in frame!.
    There were some truly spectacular scenes, like the stone giant battle
    Shore's score in the film was a welcome return of a familar friend (even though most of the songs were awful. But well, they were in the book.)

But overall, there's no shaking the feeling of bloating for bloating's sake. There was a lot that felt redundant (cutting all the 'meaningful stares' would have cut 20 minutes by itself!) and could easily have been left out entirely. That might also have brought the film back to a more palatable two hour format.

So, I didn't love it.
    But I did enjoy it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    especially when I -totally unexpectedly- heard [spoiler]The Voice[/spoiler]...and [spoiler]Saruman[/spoiler] came in frame!.

Great moment and I love how Shore used his theme appropriately. By the way, the [spoiler]necromancer in the castle ruins, is he suppose to become Sauron?[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    francis wrote
    Martijn wrote
    especially when I -totally unexpectedly- heard [spoiler]The Voice[/spoiler]...and [spoiler]Saruman[/spoiler] came in frame!.

Great moment and I love how Shore used his theme appropriately. By the way, the [spoiler]necromancer in the castle ruins, is he suppose to become Sauron?[/spoiler]

Yes, I think so.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Yes, he is. But in the books he hardly features at all.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    It's one of those elements they took from The Silmarillion and the appendices.
  3. More the Appendices. They can't take anything from The Silmarillion that isn't mentioned in either The Hobbit or LOTR or the latter's appendices.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    True, apart from the backgrounds on the dwarves, like the siege of Moria.
  4. That's actually in the LOTR appendices I believe. (Under a section on genealogies, I think.) If they used anything from SILMARILLION, they'd be sued for sure by the Tolkien Estate. (So, for example, they can refer to the Seven Dwarf kingdoms if they are referred to in those texts, but if the Seven Kingdoms are only named in the Silmarillion or Book of Unfinished Tales, they couldn't feature the names.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am