• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I can certainly see that there are strong links between The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings - though LoTR was not conceived originally as a sequel to The Hobbit. Didn't it more rightly evolve into something that had links with the original book?

There's such a look and feel to the movies that someone other than Jackson at the helm would be at risk of being so different from the trilogy as to be doomed to being a poor relation to the trilogy.

Sorry, I misstyped: its "enchanting prequel" in referance to the Hobbit.

My complaint is: Whats the deal with a sequal to the Hobbit?
    and yes, you are correct that the LOTR was written as a sequel to the Hobbit. upon release the Hobbit was such a big hit that the publisher demanded another.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    I would surmise he'll be cutting The Hobbit in half, actually, maybe adding some left-overs from The Lord Of The Rings (Tom Bombadil?).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    I don't care, to be honest. Just skip to the Shore scores and hand them over for my pleasuuaah!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    haha..
    good point.
    But seriously: as a single film, the Hobbit would be awsome (including the climactic end with the dragon etc.. and the battle of five armies.) Broken into two films... it would break! We already have that with Star Wars... LOTR is supposed to be a prologue and a trilogy... not a five film money maker.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I would hope they do The Hobbit as one unbroken film and then the sequel would be a completely new story created from Tolkien's notes.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Well, Tolkien did begin on a sequel to LOTR...
    The Return of the Shadow... which was rumored to involve the Mouth of Sauron. But Peter Jackson
    had Aragorn kill him in the ROTK so thats a no - go.
  1. I like the sequel devised by the Tolkien Sarcasm Page, where the two Blue Wizards do battle in the East with hordes of Variags and Easterlings commanded by the Missing Finger of Sauron. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007 edited
    bartley wrote
    Well, Tolkien did begin on a sequel to LOTR...
    The Return of the Shadow... which was rumored to involve the Mouth of Sauron. But Peter Jackson
    had Aragorn kill him in the ROTK so thats a no - go.

We're talking about a sequel to The Hobbit, which would still be a prequel to the Lord of the Rings wink It could feature the Mouth of Sauron then... but I highly doubt it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007
    franz_conrad wrote
    I like the sequel devised by the Tolkien Sarcasm Page, where the two Blue Wizards do battle in the East with hordes of Variags and Easterlings commanded by the Missing Finger of Sauron. wink

To qoute the best pixar animation every:
    "lame lame lame lame laame!"- Syndrome, from the Incredibles
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008 edited
    Well, to all of you hoping Guillermo del Toro will be directing The Hobbit and its follow-up, this must be wonderful news for you:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21871

I loved El Laberinto del Fauno and I'd love to see what he'd do with Tolkien's world, but I really hope he'll keep Howard Shore for the music! Or otherwise Javier Navarette, but I'm not tolerating anybody else!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008
    BobdH wrote
    Well, to all of you hoping Guillermo del Toro will be directing The Hobbit and its follow-up, this must be wonderful news for you:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21871

I loved El Laberinto del Fauno and I'd love to see what he'd do with Tolkien's world, but I really hope he'll keep Howard Shore for the music! Or otherwise Javier Navarette, but I'm not tolerating anybody else!

With you all the way Bob! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I get the impression for PAN'S LABYRINTH's slavish devotion to one melody that if we do get a Howard Shore score for a Del Toro HOBBIT, the Shire theme is sure going to get used a lot. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I get the impression for PAN'S LABYRINTH's slavish devotion to one melody that if we do get a Howard Shore score for a Del Toro HOBBIT, the Shire theme is sure going to get used a lot. wink

I have a feeling Jackson will have a lot more say in the focus of the music and it use in these next two films.
    But will it be Howard Shore. I think it HAS to be but if Jackson and Shore don't kiss and make-up then who are the other choices. Newton Howard? Elfman? Beltrami?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008
    Strange...I thought Sam Raimi was officially signed on. EVIL IMDB!!!!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    I think it HAS to be but if Jackson and Shore don't kiss and make-up then who are the other choices. Newton Howard? Elfman? Beltrami?

Oh, those two have already kissed and made up (in a scrictly platonic way, I suppose, otherwise, it'd just be... ewww). After all, the decision to reject Shore for King Kong was made in a friendly way, it was for just that project, and they're still friends.

Come to think of it... I really wonder which composer Jackson will get for The Lovely Bones... no rumors about that one yet, eh? And is it me, or does that film has a really long production time?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Strange...I thought Sam Raimi was officially signed on. EVIL IMDB!!!!

Thank God he is not! Let me whisper something in your hear, if you're interested...
    he sucks!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes, please letRaimi not do a movie in this merchandise, or any other actually.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I certainly hope it's Shore. I don't think Del Toro's latest friend Danny Elfman would be right for it (though I'm sure he would do a professional job). Mind you, I don't think Del Toro would be right for it either.
  3. I can see the squishy close-ups of the fish flesh in Gollum's mouth already. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Yes, please letRaimi not do a movie in this merchandise, or any other actually.

LOL! I'm sure you meant FRANCHISE, but hey....I'm sure there will be plenty of merchandise as well. wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2008 edited
    Well, it looks like it may be a bit longer before (or IF) we get The Hobbit. According to the Associated Press, The Tolkien Estate is suing New Line claiming they haven't been paid a cent of their share of the total profits from the original three films.

Good old Hollywood business practices....

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c … &tsp=1
  4. The wheel goes round and round...
  5. Is anyone else participating in the "Hobbit" chat with Peter & Guillermo which starts in 20 minutes...?

http://www.wetanz.com/party/
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    Well, as no one else has yet posted it here (and I'm surprised they haven't), I suppose I will: it is now (and has been) official that Howard Shore will be scoring The Hobbit.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/03 … he-hobbit/
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Excellent news.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Well, as no one else has yet posted it here (and I'm surprised they haven't), I suppose I will: it is now (and has been) official that Howard Shore will be scoring The Hobbit.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/03 … he-hobbit/

Oh Happy days! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Panthera wrote
    Excellent news.

Yep, that's for sure! biggrin I really can't wait for this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Excellent news.

We'll have to.

I'm used to waiting, I can wait! smile wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Excellent news.

We'll have to.

Aw... sad wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    More LoTR stuff to look forward to!! punk