• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It sounded a bit Chronicles of Narnia to me in places. This is the first thing I have seen on The Hobbit and it looks as though it is going to be a good re-acquaintance with Middle Earth.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012
    Teaser had more mystery in it. More awe inspiring.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012
    That trailer did nothing for me, but neither do the LOTR trailers and those films are immense!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2012
    There's a difference in mood that is interesting don't you think?

If they can capture in the film how the Hobbit-feel differs from the LOTR-feel in the books, that's impressive.
  2. With The Hobbit having been written as a children's book and The Lord of the Rings evolving into more of a darker, grown-up book I can see where there could be a different feel between them.

Personally, I would want to keep the darker feel of the latter book(s) for The Hobbit. Which may remove the feel you are hoping to retain?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2012
    Hm, I'm not sure what I want... The LOTR-feel is really good of course.

I think I tried to say that the difference in feel is already noticed in the short trailer. And I'm not sure what it is. Is it visually different or in dialogue or in 'tone', whatever that is? It seems lighter.

Looking forward anyway!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2012
    I just saw the film -- in 3D and 48 fps.

Wow. Just wow. It's one of the most stunning visual experiences I've had since AVATAR.

There are some elements that don't work so well (esp. Radagast the Brown), but by God -- the crystal clarity!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2012
    How's the movie, in essence? Also it's weird than when you often comment movies, we have to ask you on a 2nd question to actually comment on the scores as well tongue kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    How's the movie, in essence? Also it's weird than when you often comment movies, we have to ask you on a 2nd question to actually comment on the scores as well tongue kiss

Who cares about scores?! wink

Yeah -- I need some time to digest it all before I provide detailed comments.

The film is wonderful and a great continuation of the LOTR aesthetic (except for some minor "Disneyfications"/HARRY POTTERish elements in the Radagast segments). Loved the extended stay at Bilbo's house in the beginning. I've always wanted to stay there longer than in the LOTR films. Wonderful atmosphere.

Shore's score works wonderfully in context too -- especially the reappearance of the themes from LOTR. Goosebump-inducing. The dwarf theme is used to great effect -- from source singing to a heroic version in the vista/transportation scenes. The action music I can give or take; it's buried in sound effects anyway.

There is most definitely a good 50-60 minute soundtrack program hiding in here, because the highlights were really strong.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2012
    What a really good film! Like Thor says, it's wonderful and an often emotional return of the characters, the music and ... well, the whole universe of Middle-Earth. When the first music comes in, the tone is set. The introduction and history of the Dwarves is a very strong opening! The scenes in the Shire, which many say are too long, I thought was great and very atmospheric!

It's a less serious, or lets say a more chiller/easy-going affair, then the other fellowship. There's more humour because of the many Dwarves and some awkward jokes as well. However, that doesn't really spoil much of the fun.

The music is not as spectacular as Fellowship, and there's really a lot of it. Hearing the dulcimer (?) again when Gollem returns was spine tingling! cheesy Near the end there's also a fantastic piece [spoiler]when the big birds return[/spoiler]. I love how Shore takes the Lonely Mountain theme to a new Fellowship theme, it has a bit a similar sound and structure, and it returns in similar scenes (you know, when the camera flies over mountaintops and you see the group running enthusiastically over ridges without fear).

I've seen the regular version. And I sat next to a lonely incredible stinking smelly man that had smoked cigarettes too much. I had a headache near the end. Fuck.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2012
    Great, i am going to watch this!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2012
    I really enjoyed the movie, I didn't have any issues with the frame rate.

My only complaint was that I felt the movie was maybe a little long, which is surprising considering they apparently splitting one book into three films.

I didn't think the Radagast the Brown scenes were that bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    I thought the film was great. Saw it in regular 2D, but am thinking of seeing it again in HFR, just to see what the fuzz is about smile. I didn't think the film was too long - actually I was surprised at how fast almost 3 hours went by smile

Have to re-read The Hobbit to know what they've changed/added - too long ago smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What is hfr?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2012 edited
    HFR is High Frame Rate, the controversial framerate (48 frames per second instead of the usual 24) in which the film was shot and at some cinema's projected.

I have yet to see the HFR version, only saw the 2D last week and will see the HFR 3D experience this thursday, but as I also heard complaints from a friend who saw it in IMAX about the HFR, I'm glad I at least saw it first in the good old format in which I also saw the original trilogy, so I could just concentrate on the film. Also because the 2D version is in 2.35:1 instead of the 3D version that is in 1.85:1. I very much prefer the more cinematic wideness for these kind of films.

Having said that, you can tell Peter Jackson meant the prologue to show off with his new HFR toy and impress the audience, as it's full of constant panning camera's, which shows quite blurry with a regular projection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ahhhh this is what they call it! Thanks smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Me want see!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2012 edited
    Saw it in HFR 3D IMAX today. Did not enjoy it at all. May elaborate later. I will say that this is Peter Jackson in bloated 'Kong' mode throughout.

The score loses all thematic integrity thanks to temp-track love in the last act.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2012
    Jim Ware wrote
    Saw it in HFR 3D IMAX today. Did not enjoy it at all. May elaborate later. I will say that this is Peter Jackson in bloated 'Kong' mode throughout.

The score loses all thematic integrity thanks to temp-track love in the last act.

Temp-tracked with which scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Bits of Two Towers and Return of the King which have no relevance. Given the lengthy recording and composing schedule, it seems cheap.
  3. I saw it, in regular 24 fps and 2D, and like most here I loved it. I stayed away from the book and the score before seeing it, and having read it holds neither the epic scale or the musical grandeur of the LOTR, I was expecting something far less epic than this. Okay, it can't be LOTR epic, but something tells me this is definitely EPIC enough for The Hobbit.

Though it took me a while to accept a completely new fellowship group, it's definitely a strong (more comical) and excellent adventurous ride through Middle Earth. The complete secondary part (from the Goblins, Gollum to the final fight) is one happy LOTR memory that I wasn't expecting at all. And the music, I've read it was boring and non epic. But boy the final 30 minutes were mindblowing epic LOTR stuff, so If that's all on the CD I'm gonna enjoy this.

Yes, the first 30 minutes were calm and so was the music, but it was such a delight to hear all those themes return. Anyway, still deciding between an 8 or a 9, but I loved the first part of a new trilogy nonetheless
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    EY! Just noticed something!

No idea if this has been discovered yet, but the extended tracks at the Special Edition album of The Hobbit aren't just extended, they're quite alternative! Inspired by a comment on Filmtracks ("to those who liked that one glorious Misty Mountain theme outburst in "Roast Mutton" (the non-deluxe version"), I thought, wait a minute, why specifically mention 'the non-deluxe version'?, and looked up the track. Turns out, THAT GLORIOUS MISTY MOUNTAIN THEME OUTBURST IS NOT ON THE DELUXE, EXTENDED VERSION! (it's the outburst around the 2:21 mark of Roast Mutton on the regular edition). Darn, since I love the theme and thought it wasn't developed enough on album.

Now, does anyone know of a more detailed description of the differences between these albums? Are there any more thematic statements or interesting material that's different on the albums, as opposed to just extended on the Special? Do I have to buy the regular as well, now? Because I'm tempted...

So it seems the tracks aren't just edited down for the regular version, they're all different takes?

EDIT:
    To elaborate:
    OLD FRIENDS: At the 1:50 minute mark, the Shire theme is at the regular edition stated with a simple whistle, while the Special Edition has the more fully orchestral Shire version.
    ROAST MUTTON: At 2:21m., the Misty Mountains theme is quite impressively stated on the regular edition, not featured on the Special Edition.
    MOON RUNES: The standard version ends on a more quiet note, with on harp an understated version of the Misty Mountains theme, which is, again, not on the special.
  4. BobdH wrote
    EY! Just noticed something!

No idea if this has been discovered yet, but the extended tracks at the Special Edition album of The Hobbit aren't just extended, they're quite alternative! Inspired by a comment on Filmtracks ("to those who liked that one glorious Misty Mountain theme outburst in "Roast Mutton" (the non-deluxe version"), I thought, wait a minute, why specifically mention 'the non-deluxe version'?, and looked up the track. Turns out, THAT GLORIOUS MISTY MOUNTAIN THEME OUTBURST IS NOT ON THE DELUXE, EXTENDED VERSION! (it's the outburst around the 2:21 mark of Roast Mutton on the regular edition). Darn, since I love the theme and thought it wasn't developed enough on album.

Now, does anyone know of a more detailed description of the differences between these albums? Are there any more thematic statements or interesting material that's different on the albums, as opposed to just extended on the Special? Do I have to buy the regular as well, now? Because I'm tempted...

So it seems the tracks aren't just edited down for the regular version, they're all different takes?

That post on filmtracks worried me, too. Evenso I am not going to buy the standart edition. Some day the complete recordings will be released which then might force me to buy the same score a third (!) time. I am certainly not going to do that.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    I saw the film in 3D and 48 fps. It was so stunning visually, the flight scene was one of the best experiences I had in a cinema.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I saw this today. Not impressed. The film has so obviously been artificially bloated just to make it stretch into a trilogy. About 100+ minutes could have been cut out with no impact whatsoever on the story. The score is as unimpressive in the film as it is on album - the only memorable musical moments are when the "Misty Mountains" theme appears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I had a very different reaction. It is the extended scenes, e.g. at Bilbo's house in the beginning, that are the real FORCE in this film, IMO. I don't think it's 'bloated' at all. The 2 hour 50 minutes went by like nothing.
    But for the most part, it's the audiovisual experience that sticks in my mind -- one of the greatest I've ever had in a cinema.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    ... it's the audiovisual experience that sticks in my mind -- one of the greatest I've ever had in a cinema.

James -- sounds like using your eyes and ears at the same time should help in a future viewing. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It does sound that way!

Here are some of the things I thought were wrong with the film (not for the most part spoilers, but I'll put the tag there just in case):

[spoiler]- It tries to be equal parts slapstick comedy and serious "epic" action/adventure; each of those aspects stops the other one from being entirely successful
    - There's the classic "prequel problem" that the filmmakers assume that because characters are lovable from the films that are already known, people will love them by virtue of them being on the screen in the prequel; that's a particular problem with Gandalf, who spends the film being either comic relief or bringing one deus ex machina moment after another by rescuing the dwarves and Frodo from a completely impossible situation by appearing ten minutes into said situation and banging his staff on the ground to make the bad guys disperse
    - There are far too many scenes there that add nothing - I don't think the Cate Blanchett stuff was in the book, so it's only there as an excuse to get Cate Blanchett in the film and it just doesn't add anything; the whole Radagast business seems entirely extraneous; the meeting with Gollum again seems to be there only to make people say "Ooooh, Gollum!" but you could have just shown Frodo finding the ring, cut to Gollum discovering that he's lost it a few minutes later and saved yourself half an hour of almost painfully boring film
    - The Barry Humphries (Barry Humphries!) character is absurd and appears to have a giant scrotum hanging from his face - he's meant to be this menacing leader of a deadly foe but is just far, far too silly to have the desired dramatic impact
    - Essentially, it isn't really a film - it's the first act of a film - this isn't The Fellowship of the Ring to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, this is the first third of The Fellowship of the Ring to The Fellowship of the Ring
    [/spoiler]

There are certainly some positives though:
    - Martin Freeman is excellent as Bilbo (really, really excellent)
    - The action is handled with aplomb
    - The thing is for the most part visually stunning (though the 3D seemed entirely extraneous and unnecessary in this case to me, and I'm usually a voice-in-the-wilderness-proponent of 3D)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2012
    I disagreed with practically everything you said in the spoiler tags there, except the business with Radagast. Interesting.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2012
    My companions had a mixed reaction. Mrs S liked it, my Tolkein-fanatic friend didn't, but her non-Tolkein-fanatic partner did.