• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010
    D, I suggest you avoid the thread until you have. Today of all days.

I think the ending was pretty good as it can be interpreted in many different ways, and while it's not mind-bogglingly confusing I find myself writing my ideas down about it only to come up with different ones half way through. Will get back to you when I've come up with some solid ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    The ending it's pretty clear.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    How did you interpret it?

And don't just state the obvious answer, [spoiler]they're dead[/spoiler], because it was much more complex than that. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote
    How did you interpret it?

And don't just state the obvious answer, [spoiler]they're dead[/spoiler], because it was much more complex than that. wink

[spoiler]Redemption. In one way, it's good all the flashbacks, flashforwards, etc...was like when people see his life throught her eyes seconds before his death. only in LOST it was in six seasons. We had his past, his present and his future. Death it's the only thing we needed to close his life. the redemption of every character it's even good enough (did you notice jack and juliett has a good relationship but kate is his true love? it's what happened in the island) but...

Even if you don't like time travels, electromagnetism,etc... it had to many plots and minutes in the show to now leave all this without any conclusion. What happened with change the future? Faraday? Eloise? Desmond flashes before his eyes? Contants? variables? Im not talking about the creation of the island, or the meaning of the numbers...I'm talking about what they said was the main plot of the last 3 seasons. I can't accept that.

And then writters says what only matters is what matters to the characters, but even this has no conclusion. And no, death is not a conclusion, because obviously every one is happy. I want a conclusion of his life, only jack had this.
    [/spoiler]

PS:Sorry for my worst than usual english. I didn't sleep and i'm angry.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think you need to look at the island as the real world we live in. There's crap loads we don't know about it, and we'll never know why we are here, and then we'll die. The backbone of the show was the friendships and relationships we form in life are what really matters. It could have been set in an office and the same thing would have happened - it was just a lot more interesting on a crazy island.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    I think you need to look at the island as the real world we live in.

I do that. [spoiler]because Christian is what says to jack,[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    What about the score?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It wasn't the best we've had, but it was definitely the most "sweeping" and gave good resolve to many of the themes. The O6 theme was overused a bit and sort of lost its identity with the group and becoming sort of a "main theme", but it's still one of the best of the series so I can't complain too much.

The piece that surprised me the most was the Sayid & Shannon love theme that only appeared in season 2 ep Abandoned showed up again.

Best score of the season goes to Across The Sea, followed by Ab Aeterno followed by this.

Best score of the show however...that's a tough one. There's No Place Like Home part 2 I think.

But now, IT'S OVER! No more new Lost music. cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Vincent is the same dog? older? or the producers couldn't find a dog who looks like vincent?

And...the last theme is the theme from Rose and Bernard?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I read this. I recomend you learn spanish or translate the text above. It's by a user from Lostzilla forum:

"Seis años mirando una serie de televisión, preguntándonos qué era ese humo negro que asesinaba gente, babeándonos cada vez que aparecían los números mágicos, estremeciéndonos cuando los Otros susurraban, para en los últimos minutos darnos cuenta que “Lost” siempre fue una serie con un solo tema: la redención, que dicho en otras palabras es la aceptación del destino, que al fin y al cabo es la muerte.

Los creadores de la serie bien podrían haberse atenido a contestar los misterios de manera ramplona y mantener a sus fans contentos; en cambio, optaron por decir algo sobre los temas trascendentales de la vida, que no es un humo negro ni todas las pavadas frikis (y adictivas y a veces fascinantes y genuinamente misteriosas) que nos presentaron. Las respuestas a esos misterios están allí para el que quiera encontrarlas. Podrían haber grabado un episodio final lleno de acción y espectacularidad, con Jack transformándose en el Humo Negro, Hurley siendo acosado de nuevo por los números, etc. Pero no, porque “Lost” jamás se trató de eso. Puede que los millones de fans que tiene la serie hayan sido captados por los misterios, lo cual puede considerarse un timo, sin embargo al ver las cosas así nos estamos perdiendo del verdadero valor de la historia: teniendo a millones de fanáticos pegados a la tele, muchos de ellos nerds que piensan que “Lost” tenía la respuesta a sus vidas, optaron por hablarnos de la muerte. Ni más ni menos. Embarcados como estamos en una sociedad cuya cultura se ha transformado en una negación constante de la muerte, “Lost” decidió que ése fue justamente el tema a tratar. La aceptación de nuestra muerte.

Todos morimos, eso es sabido y hasta de perogrullo resulta remarcarlo. ¿Pero lo es? Porque inmediatamente somos conscientes de nuestra mortalidad, la negamos. Decimos: “está bien, pero falta mucho”, o “hay que vivir el presente y ser felices ahora”. Cuando miramos televisión hasta asquearnos o cuando nos compramos esos zapatos que tanto nos gustan, cuando buscamos componer una canción o cuando hinchamos por un equipo de fútbol con pasión irrefrenable, sólo es una contestación sorda y vacía al enigma de la muerte. Todo lo que hacemos es para negar nuestra mortalidad. Tomemos por caso a Jack, el protagonista de la serie: su destino era ir a la Isla y morir allí por una causa. Y esa causa era por demás importante: salvar al mundo, nada menos. Podría haber sido otra, lo importante era que esa causa lo trascendiera, lo superara. Es la única manera de vencer a la muerte: entregarnos en pos de algo superior. Y no hablo de Dios ni nada por el estilo.¿Por qué Desmond, cuando toma conciencia de su muerte, pierde el temor? ¿Por qué tipos como el Che Guevara no le tenían miedo a la muerte? Cuando el Che es fusilado en Bolivia, le dice a su verdugo que lo mire a los ojos, porque está a punto de asesinar a un hombre. Ahora le dirían terrorista, cuando en realidad es todo lo contrario: es una de esas personas que saben que la vida termina en algún momento y que prefieren aceptar su destino y entregarlo por una causa.

La mayoría de nosotros estiramos el presente, sumergimos la vida en una botella de nada, y naufragamos negando el destino. Los famosos “flashsideways” de “Lost” son precisamente eso: la vida feliz de los protagonistas, lo que ellos querrían haber sido pero no fueron; y no fueron por un simple motivo: porque no era su destino. Su destino era morir, como el de todos, pero morir de una determinada manera. Lo maravilloso y emocionante del final de “Lost” es que parece decirnos que hay una manera de vencer a la muerte, y no sólo es sacrificarse en pos de algo superior, si no también recordar. Si no recordamos, estamos muertos. Si vivimos una vida sumergidos en el olvido, en la negación y la ignorancia, toda nuestra felicidad será sólo aparente. Sobrevivir y llevar adelante una existencia normal, implicaba un costo para los protagonistas: olvidar. Recordar los lleva a morir, y al mismo tiempo a entrar en ese espacio donde el tiempo no existe, donde sólo hay espacio y luz, que no es otra cosa que el lugar donde la chispa de la vida se enciende. Vivimos por esos instantes que nos hacen felices, pequeños momentos que cargamos hasta el final. Pensemos que estamos en nuestro lecho de muerte, minutos ante de fallecer: ¿qué recordaríamos? A las personas que quisimos y que nos hicieron sufrir y reír, que nos ataron a la vida y nos alejaron de la muerte. La comodidad burguesa es tan poca cosa entonces. Agradecemos incluso lo mal que la pasamos, porque aceptamos nuestro destino. Negar la muerte es negar la vida.

Jack cura a Locke en el último capítulo, lo hace dejar la silla de ruedas, pero lejos está de ser un milagro de fe o un milagro científico. Tiene que ver con la aceptación de la muerte. Cuando Locke recuerda que murió, ahí entonces puede caminar y entrar al funeral. Por eso se cura tan rápido. No era importante la cirugía, lo importante era recordar. En el primer capítulo, “LA X”, la Isla está hundida porque ninguno de los protagonistas que debía salvarla aceptó su destino. Prefirieron la comodidad de una vida lejana al sufrimiento y la redención.

Pensemos en Jesús, ya que “Lost” tanto ha insistido en las metáforas religiosas. Pero pensemos en él como un hombre común, no como el hijo de Dios. Simplemente un hombre que se da cuenta que es especial, que sabe que será crucificado, que deberá pasar por un tormento atroz, pero sólo para renacer. La voz de Dios está ausente en el Nuevo Testamento, porque Dios es un Hombre que trasciende la muerte. Toda la historia del Nuevo Testamento es un subterfugio para decirnos que es posible la resurrección, en tanto y en cuanto muramos aceptando lo que somos. En un “flashsideway” bíblico, Jesús hubiese sido un ayudante de carpintero feliz y tranquilo, y jamás hubiese muerto de manera tan traumática.

Así como la voz de Dios está ausente en la biblia cristiana, de la misma manera en “Lost” jamás sabemos cuáles son las fuerzas últimas. Jacob es apenas un “trabajador” más para la Isla, ignora mucho del funcionamiento de las reglas y su principal tarea es remendar la macana que se mandó al asesinar a su hermano y dar vía libre al Humo Negro, cuya única misión es apagar la Luz. Llegados a ese punto, la Luz es Dios. Podríamos decirle Alá, Buda, OVNIS, lo que sea, no importa, porque todas las historias del mundo se tratan de lo mismo: del Hombre y su búsqueda por salir del laberinto de la existencia.

¿Cuántas veces en la serie escuchamos la frase “let it go”, “déjalo ir”? Está presente desde la primera temporada, cuando Jack era un hombre de ciencia aferrado al temor de la vida (es interesante pensar cuánto hay en la medicina de negación a la muerte, de los hombres tratando desesperadamente de aplacar lo irreversible, pero olvidándose de las grandes respuestas, dilatando el momento de aceptación). “Dejarlo ir” es saber el motivo por el cual estás en la Isla (reemplacen Isla por Mundo). Por eso Locke, desde el principio, entiende tan bien el funcionamiento del juego, porque no le tiene miedo a la muerte. Cuando el Humo Negro lo arrastra a un hueco y Jack lo rescata, Locke le pide que lo deje ir, que no pasará nada. Claro que Jack sí piensa que pasará algo (la muerte) y lo rescata. Locke llegó a la Isla en sillas de rueda y se despertó caminando. Para él fue fácil aceptar su destino porque no habría vuelta a la vida de negación. La Isla, para él, siempre lo fue todo.

Otro ejemplo claro que nos dice que el tema de “Lost” siempre fue éste: Charlie en la tercera temporada, cuando se entera de su muerte a través de Desmond. Al principio, y gracias a la ayuda del escocés, intenta zafar y extender su vida, pero luego se da cuenta que lo mejor es sacrificarse por los demás. No había otra opción. A la larga, no hay otra opción para nadie. El Charlie de los “flashsideways” es un Charlie muy parecido al de fuera de la Isla, porque los dos comparten esa fascinación por vivir al borde de la muerte sin aceptarla. Su redención llega cuando deja las drogas y puede ver con claridad que morir ahogado era su destino. Otro ejemplo: cuando murió Boone, allá por la primera temporada, ¡cuánto nos costaba entender las palabras de Locke: “fue un sacrificio que la Isla demandó”! Del otro lado lo teníamos a Jack, que con todo su raciocinio, le preguntaba qué respuesta encontraba Locke a sus delirios místicos en la terrible muerte del hermano de Shannon. Boone debía morir. ¿Debía morir de esa manera? Nadie lo sabe, pero el tema trasciende la coyuntura de Boone: el doctor no puede aceptar la muerte, en esa ni en ninguna circunstancia. Locke, en cambio, aceptó que el tiempo en la Isla era tiempo regalado, que nacemos ya muertos, en tiempo de descuento, y que todo lo que hagamos nos llevará al mismo camino. Lo contrario, es la negación, y uno puede vivir negándose hasta que llegue un Desmond y te atropelle en tu sillas de rueda y te replantees todo y sepas cuán corta y frágil es tu existencia.

El miedo es paralizante. Y es lo contrario al amor. Quien teme no ama. Por eso, para que los protagonistas acepten sus muertes deben encontrar a sus parejas en la Isla (es decir, en el Mundo). La historia de Penny y Desmond es quizás la más significativa (una historia de separaciones y reencuentros, de aprender que existe una constante más allá del frío universo), pero también tenemos a Kate y Jack, a Sawyer y a Juliet, a Charlie y a Claire, a Hurley y Libby, a Sun y Jin. Pueden amarse y reencontrarse cuando pierden el miedo.

¿No es esta lectura mucho más satisfactoria que saber “qué pasó con el fantasma alto de Walt”? Seguramente habrá miles de teorías acerca de lo que pasó o no, y los guionistas son lo suficientemente inteligentes para dejar a los fans con ganas de más, pero más allá de esto es para celebrar que hayan decidido abocarse a los temas que harán de la serie una historia inmortal. Porque una vez que sabemos qué son los números, ¿qué nos queda saber? Tiramos los DVDs a un costado, los olvidamos y nos acostamos a dormir una siesta. Pero con esta clase de preguntas y respuestas, podremos volver a la serie una y otra vez, o cada tanto cuando la angustia de la muerte nos asalte.

Ahora, por fin, sabemos que Jack y Kate y Sawyer y compañía le temían al Humo Negro por ser el misterio de la muerte, no por ser una nube de nanotecnología. Ahora sabemos cada ojo abierto al comienzo de un capítulo significaba una sola cosa: una nueva oportunidad para redimirse. Cerrar el ojo, con una sonrisa, y con un labrador al lado, ensangrentado y viendo partir el avión sano y salvo, al revés de lo que pasó cuando llegaron, sólo podía ocurrir cuando Jack completara su misión. Todo lo demás, como diría Jacob, es sólo progreso"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd much rather read a Jordi-ified version wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Jimmy Kimmer post lost show, was pretty good. Specially the interviews with the cast.

Check it out

http://the-odi.blogspot.com/2010/05/jim … t-all.html
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The best part was the Giacchino band.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    A good theory I've read - [spoiler]Hurley set up the flash sideways so everybody could be together after they died. After all, Ben said Hurley's there to take care of people.[/spoiler]

I like that. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I rewatched again the episode. I can't denny the final montage (with O6 theme) really touches me. Specially [spoiler]Jack dying with vincent near. it's really moving.[/spoiler]

Anthony, I recomend you read the explanation or theory I posted above. it's really, really great.

I was thinking, there are a lot of things in Life we will never will understand.[spoiler] And we always try to find out a meaning of a lot of things in the real life (in the island is time travels, variables, constants...) But what its really important is how we live and how we finally die.[/spoiler]

Of course, I still blame the writters to don't make up a conclusion about [spoiler]" flashes before his eyes-the constant". It could have great if it was the purgatory too, and that could explain why eloise appears.Sadly some things doesn't fit with that theory.[/spoiler]

Finally, [spoiler]In the same way we had a touching conclusion for the "flashsides" we needed a touching conclusion for the real life too: Desmond and penny reunited, Hugo and Ben working in the island, kate and claire taiking care of aaron. Then I could have forget all the "misteries" unexplained, and we could have been all much more satisfactory. Life and death.[/spoiler]
  1. Oh, man. I LOVED that episode! It couldn't have ended any better for me. It turned a crappy season of Lost into a great conclusion to a great show. Nice to know the writers hadn't lost their minds. Do NOT read this spoiler if you want to have any amount of surprise. [spoiler]Shannon and Sayid together is laaaaaaaame, but whatever. It's also a little odd that everyone seems to understand that they are dead simply by seeing their past life again except Jack who apparently needs an explanation from his dad. I'm okay with it. Maybe they all remembered their deaths. So clearly there is a lot to wonder about still (mostly I'm wondering about the alternate reality now - like who's Jack's son? Was he never real? Or Helen? Was none of that real? Why is Aaron a baby? etc.) but I'm satisfied with this ending. I love that redemption ends up being the theme in the end.[/spoiler] Very catharctic episode. Excellent closure for me. I'm walking away from this show a happy man.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010
    I'm not unsatisfied with it, but on reflection it's a bloody strange ending. If you told someone the ending several seasons back I doubt they'd have believed it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote
    I'm not unsatisfied with it, but on reflection it's a bloody strange ending. If you told someone the ending several seasons back I doubt they'd have believed it.

A lot of people asked to the writters if the Island was a [spoiler]purgatory[/spoiler] and they said No. Ok, the island not but the [spoiler]flashsides[/spoiler]

How I said, I consider all the [spoiler]flashbacks and flashforward a resume of his lifes from the "purgatory" or "limbo". So it's fine to me. touching. But How I said, I need a conclusion about all the "island" stuff. Specially Desmond "time travels" and "constants".[/spoiler]
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I somewhat agree with you the island story left a LOT unanswered. The problem isn't leaving things hanging, it's completely ignoring them.

I think a lot of the big questions were answered, but if you think about it - how do you explain what the black smoke is scientifically? Simple. You can't, it's a story!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    I somewhat agree with you the island story left a LOT unanswered. The problem isn't leaving things hanging, it's completely ignoring them.

I think a lot of the big questions were answered, but if you think about it - how do you explain what the black smoke is scientifically? Simple. You can't, it's a story!

I don't want a scientific explanation. It's imposible! How you said, they has ignored all the stuff they was presented to us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote

Indeed - and I suspect all the flash-sideways stuff was an invention as it dawned on them that they were never going to be able to explain anything that happened up to the end of season five, so would instead create some new mystery and then use the "explanation" to close that one off, which is fair enough I guess. I enjoyed the finale, but the show as a whole would have been stronger for me if they hadn't introduced the sillest stuff they did in previous seasons (the stuff we're meant to shrug our shoulders and simply accept) - though I came to accept a long time ago that that's just how it was and it was never going to be explained (since it was inexplicable).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I'm reading theories and this is really the esence of this show.

You can pick everyone of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010 edited
    After reading a lot of theories and thinking about the finale, this is what I want to think.

1-the flashbacks and flashforwards explained to us the life of the chracters. wich at the end, was a way to show to us his final redemption.

2- the writters have an answer to every question they rised. But they didn't want to give it to us. (Because they want the fans make his own theories or because it was too complicated).

3-the character will not know if they could create an alternative line, or change his future. We will not know it either. In our real lifes we will not know the answers to a lot of things, we only can search for them and the only thing that cares is our "experiences".

4- How it didn't have answers, lost is still alive. for good and for bad.

PS: I tried to think Desmond's time travels was , in fact, time travels in his mind at the time of his death ( this could explain Eloise apparitions). But some things doesn't fit with that.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I need to watch Flashes Before Your Eyes again. I can't remember if if that was just time travel or the first glimpse of the sideways. I bet Hawking has something important to say in it though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    I need to watch Flashes Before Your Eyes again. I can't remember if if that was just time travel or the first glimpse of the sideways. I bet Hawking has something important to say in it though.

it could fit with the first glimpse of the sideways if only the constand didn't have the phone call from desmond to penny.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The Constant was definitely time travel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    The Constant was definitely time travel.

EXACTLY. sadly, because it could have been a great way to introduce the "purgatory"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    LOLST!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Haha, the best scene of the finale is made even better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG6PziNscH4

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris