• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010 edited
    And that's The Four Trombones done. For ever. For good.

Until rewatch.

I have so much free time on my hands now...

44 main themes
    206 motifs

That's got to be a world record for a TV show surely?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010
    Jordi, it's just occurred to me - and maybe this is why you didn't like it - that the sideways was completely disjointed from the island storyline this season. You could remove it and it wouldn't change a thing. Is that what's annoying you? Editing out the sideways completely would make a better ending imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I would have enjoyed it more without the flash-sideways so the writers could concentrate on the main story which takes place on the island! But the flash-sideways was a cheap cop out for the writers who knew they couldn't tie everything up in the main story because they obviously didn't know how to!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The more I think about it, the sideways ruined the season. It could have been SO much better if there were no flashes at all and it was completely island centric. I think I would have been more satisfied if they just defeated Flocke and some of them escaped. Really didn't need to see this "meeting place" set up for when they died.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    I think of the flash-sideways more as misdirection. [spoiler] Clearly they wanted us to the think that the atomic bomb they blew up actually changed the course of history and created an alternate reality. Apparently they bomb didn't do what Daniel thought it would. It didn't change the course of history one bit - all it did was send them back to when they belonged in their own present day. The island never sank. I thought what they did was a good way to finish the story on the Island (and apparently there wasn't much story left there to tell), and get all the characters back together for a brilliant send off. [/spoiler]
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The island story did end well, but as Erik said, the sideways was a complete cop out.

I wish they could add in some extra scenes so the show could wrap up nicely at the end of season 4.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010
    This should have been the ending!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Jordi, it's just occurred to me - and maybe this is why you didn't like it - that the sideways was completely disjointed from the island storyline this season. You could remove it and it wouldn't change a thing. Is that what's annoying you? Editing out the sideways completely would make a better ending imo.

No. In fact the sideways make a perfect ending for all the flashbacks and flashforwards. sideways fits perfectly with lost narrative in the way that they was coherent to resume all the characters lifes that is what they have done all this years. it works terrifically well with season 1.

What I was thinking is if they only closed the island storyline in a most satisfactory way ( I insist, for me it was essential explain the meaning or the sense to introduce time travels in the show. Because now they seems out of place), we could have a masterful finale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven, have you watched it all yet?

Yes. Very enjoyable, very emotional.

I'm not surprised in the least that they didn't explain everything, like why the island is so important, what the light source was, what Jacob and his brother actually were, why their fake mother was the protector of the island etc. In a way I'm glad, Lost was always about mystery so why take that away? (Also, that scene with both Desmond and Jack in the light well was very Spock in Wrath of Khan! biggrin )

The whole ascension thing at the end was a bit weird, and not because I'm some hard nosed atheist where the slightest mention of "God" turns me off (in fact, I love the idea in and of itself within the realm of fiction*), but because it just didn't seem to sit right with the rest of the story. Part of Lost's appeal for me was its mystery without being too supernatural and in many ways scientific, but then suddenly at the end we see them going to heaven. I guess there were hints all throughout the show pertaining to its religious connotations, but this seemed a little too 'in your face' perhaps? I dunno. Bit like the ending to a certain other show I won't mention.

I also had a lot more empathy for Jacob's brother than perhaps the writers had intended. The guy just had a rough life and wanted to get off the island! I don't blame him for being pissed off... and it was Jacob who turned him into the friggin' smoke monster! I didn't really like Jacob.

Also, where was the island's power source before the island was created? Tectonic plate movement is a bitch. biggrin

Oh, and some of the music in this season was really good. What wasn't so good was the over saturation and over reliance on music. Less music would have made those truly special scenes far more effective, but by the time they came, you felt so full up on Giacchino's score, you were somewhat anesthetised to it. A shame since it was so fantastic.

*Although what does turn me off about it is that shows as popular as Lost will probably go to confirm religious beliefs (it's not surprising to see Christian folk reacting so well to its ending because I'm sure it's something they can connect with quite considerably). I love the whole moral, human, emotional side to it, I really do... but these things inevitably have to involve religion since it's the most effective way to get the message across to an audience that is largely religious in some way, and I really wish it didn't have to resort to that. I'm all for stories of faith and love and all that jazz, but were it up to me I'd do it without the mention of any specific religion. To me it seems the writers took the easy route by focusing on Christianity knowing the majority of their religious viewers would be Christian. :shrug: Having said that, I still enjoyed the way they dealt with it... until the end that is.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    What I was thinking is if they only closed the island storyline in a most satisfactory way ( I insist, for me it was essential explain the meaning or the sense to introduce time travels in the show. Because now they seems out of place), we could have a masterful finale.

In that case I'll say it - if they answered more about the island, you'd probably by angrier.
  1. Nothing truer than that. TWIN PEAKS should never have said who killed her.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    I'm not surprised in the least that they didn't explain everything, like why the island is so important, what the light source was, what Jacob and his brother actually were, why their fake mother was the protector of the island etc. In a way I'm glad, Lost was always about mystery so why take that away?

I couldn't agree more. As a Lost skeptical for the past 3 seasons, I LOVED the ending. Of course, dozens of questions still unanswered (I've never understood Widmore's plans, even less after the finale, I'm afraid I'll have to live with that) but wasn't Lost about that for the first two seasons? If you remember what we were saying during seasons 1 and 2, almost everybody agreed that the island was a kind of a redemption place, a limbo, call it as you like it...and we all seemed to accept it this way. So, that's what we got! Ok, writers have been playing with us with the alternate reality. We know now that it was never an alternate reality but a dreamt one, a custom one, an imaginary one, name it as you like, made up by the characters.

We can discuss the show for weeks (with its hundreds of flaws), but the main idea, and the way it has been executed in the finale, is brilliant. The final gathering of all the main characters when they all have figured everything out is touching and moving. Also, loved the fact that Jack (man of science) is the last one to realize what's going on.

Of course I'd have loved to know more about Hurley and Ben running the island, or what happened with Desmond (did Hurley find a way to return him to his life with Penny and child?), or the lives of the ones that got out of the island, etc.... but that would betray the spirit of the show, wouldn't it?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Not having invested any time on Lost (other than with the music) I may have felt different if I'd watched it but I might have been a bit miffed having spent all that time watching it and then not having the mysteries explained!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's more about the characters and the relationships in the end, Alan. That's why I'm not so miffed that every last detail wasn't explained, plus some of the mystery that made the show so addictive was retained. Yeah, perhaps that's because the writers wrote themselves into a quagmire and convoluted the plot far too much, but it doesn't really matter... It's just a show. It's easy to critisise it, but it was still a very entertaining show with great locations, great acting and excellent music for a weekly TV show. And Kate. It had Kate.

I particularly liked the redemption of Ben Linus. Also, reading the comments about the flashsideways is surprising, because I actually enjoyed them!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    OH MAN! THIS IS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!
    AHAHAHAHAHAAH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJVSRqltKsU
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    rolleyes

For how long are we gonna be bombarded with Lost jokes / parodies? Not only most of them aren't funny but distort the series.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Mentioning Desmond, I thought Ben was going to quote himself from season 2 "Take the boat. Follow bearing 108 and you'll find rescue".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The 'you are a real good number two' line said by hurley to Ben might suggest that somehow Desmond managed to get out of the island?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    confused

I meant when Hurley asked "How am I supposed to get Desmond home?".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Yes, I want to think he managed to get Desmond home.

Great ratings by the way: 13.5 million viewers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    rolleyes

For how long are we gonna be bombarded with Lost jokes / parodies? Not only most of them aren't funny but distort the series.

For as long as DER UTERGANG parodies still come along, that is for ever wink

Alan, Lost isn't about the end result, the destination, but rather the whole trip, the characters, their stories and their bond. I always loved that and have no problem with non-solving all the mysteries. It's a rather well known director's game anyway, leaving stuff hanging and unanswered, food for thought and imagination.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Exactly. The destination may have been a pile of dog poo, but the massive amount of enjoyment I got from the rest of the show will not be denied!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote

Only 5 million less than last night's Eastenders then, in a country with a population five times as big as this one. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote

Only 5 million less than last night's Eastenders then, in a country with a population five times as big as this one. smile

biggrin applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Is Eastenders still being produced? shocked
    I remember watching it as a kid!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Alan, Lost isn't about the end result, the destination, but rather the whole trip, the characters, their stories and their bond. I always loved that and have no problem with non-solving all the mysteries. It's a rather well known director's game anyway, leaving stuff hanging and unanswered, food for thought and imagination.

Haven't you watched the finale yet D?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Is Eastenders still being produced? shocked

It is. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Wow, I was eight or nine years old when I watched it. This is a looooooong show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, it's a soap as opposed to a 'show'. They don't have seasons, they just go on and on and on and on and on and on...