• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010
    Anthony wrote
    I reckon purgatory was the plan the entire time, but since people figured the island out too quickly they just created it as an silly alternate universe at the very last minute.

It was completely unnecessary and RUINED "the journey."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote
    I reckon purgatory was the plan the entire time, but since people figured the island out too quickly they just created it as an silly alternate universe at the very last minute.

Ah ha, that's purgatory!

I agree. I'm 90% sure that in the first season the purgatory or limbo was the Island (that's why they put Christian character's on it, i'm sure the original version of his speech was planned to be on the island ) . but people figure out too soon and they changed the plan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    It doesn't matter, really, but still I don't think that's true. Imagine proposing an entire series to play on a mysterious island with the ultimate twist that it'll be purgatory: it's a) too obvious, people figure this out instantly and b) totally ridiculous, like in "oh, it was all a dream". Not even Abrams could come up with something that stupid smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The problem is that it all ends up too BROADLY, with typical WIDE themes imported from Christianity, spirituality and so on. "Big white light solves everything"-type logic. That's simply not justified by all the SPECIFIC going-ons of the preceding 6 seasons. So the problem was planted long ago. They would have needed to weed out a lot of stuff, either making the show shorter or by dwelling more on certain plot points that they KNEW they could resolve at the end.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    All I can say was the show was at its best when it was just mercenaries trekking around the island trying to kill everyone. Four was a beast of a season. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    The problem is that it all ends up too BROADLY, with typical WIDE themes imported from Christianity, spirituality and so on. "Big white light solves everything"-type logic. That's simply not justified by all the SPECIFIC going-ons of the preceding 6 seasons. So the problem was planted long ago. They would have needed to weed out a lot of stuff, either making the show shorter or by dwelling more on certain plot points that they KNEW they could resolve at the end.

I agree, but I think that "Big white light" theme of the last three episodes could be very easily digested (meaning: I totally buy what they're trying to do, emphasising the larger themes and the character relationships in the ending), had they only not dismissed some of the smaller - more unimportant in the larger framework - mysteries and loose ends, which they clearly DID have answers for, and do not fall under the category "you can ask another question for each answer".
    But they ignored that in the end, in their discourse and in the series, miscalculating the balance of mystery show and character study that the series had had from day one. It wasn't as bad as saying in the end that the Rambaldi mythology didn't mean anything, but was just meant as a plot device for boring (and meaningless!) spy antics of Jennifer Garner in Alias, but it goes in the same direction.
    Addressing more of the dangling ends of the mythology (Egyptians, Walt, the appearances, the Rules, the ash) and the plot (outrigger, the glass eye, the bear cave corpses, the eye in the Cabin, the volcano, the wheel) would have put the criticism down, and would have put everyone's minds more to that what was 'really' important in the series and what was in the finale.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Walt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I was also waiting for Aaron to have this kind of BIG purpose (the new Saviour or whatever), but in the end, he was just a.....baby.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    EEARON! EEEEARON! [/Claire]
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    finally watched the ending, and the ending is what people have said at the end of season 1

Actually, viewers of the show at the end of season 1 said the the survivors were in purgatory on the island which is not true. Everything that happened on the island ACTUALLY happened. Purgatory came later!

-Erik-

ah yeah, true
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    .........and it's about the journey as we said, not just the ending.

for me, LOST got silly during season 3. The mystery of the monster, the mystery of the Others, that was fun. But everything else, forward flashes, time travel, islands that disappear or move

come on, get real
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    EEARON! EEEEARON! [/Claire]

Fucking bitch. Someone should have killed her in season 1.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indifferent really. It's Sun that I genuinely truly hate.
  3. Steven wrote
    Indifferent really. It's Sun that I genuinely truly hate.

why?

[spoiler]their death[/spoiler] at the end of season 6 is one of the few moving scenes in the entire season cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I literally cheered when that happened. I wanted to take that moment, have sex with it and make lots of little moments with it. Srsly.
  4. Steven wrote
    I literally cheered when that happened.

I didn't, alongside the relationship between Penny and Desmond, and Daniel and Charlotte, the most moving chemistry in couples on the island

I would like to add Hurley and Libby to that, but it barely received the time to grow
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They were useless, boring and annoying. Especially Sun. Mostly Sun really. God I hate Sun. So annoying.
  5. You can't hate Sun, Sun = life. Without it you perish. shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    They were useless, boring and annoying. Especially Sun. Mostly Sun really. God I hate Sun. So annoying.

LOL! cheesy
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Steven wrote

we get it tongue

for me lost was annoying overall after a while, but I did find comfort in those moments when we actually saw good emotional chemistry on screen (supported through of course Giacchino's music)
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    You can't hate Sun, Sun = life. Without it you perish. shocked

that's what Locke thought as well wink
  8. Oh Locke off... Lost is over !

I'm happy I gave up mid S2.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    Oh Locke off... Lost is over !

I just wanted to know, now that I know I don't want to know anymore cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote

Your loss.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Your loss.

his survival smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Your loss.

I don't blame Gilles, I have no intention of watching this overrated tosh ever again. I got as far as S3 and I wish I'd never bothered.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Well, the best stuff came in Season 4 & 5. And it was science fiction all along smile
  11. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Your loss.

No mate... seeing I already lost interest during one of the more normal seasons (according to my bro) it most definitely doesn't feel like it.

Now Entourage, that one can run until infinity for me. Great great show and it doesn't get ridiculous, as far as my knowledge on the movie business goes anyway.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    fommes wrote
    Well, the best stuff came in Season 4 & 5. And it was science fiction all along smile

Thanks, but I'll gladly remain ignorant.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Ignorance is bliss after all. wink