• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010 edited
    I watched White Rabbit tonight and it occurred to me that this episode is unique because (to the best of my knowledge) an orchestra isn't used!

Anything that uses an orchestra or percussion sounds tracked, and all the new material is done on piano or synths (and guitar for the L&D theme).

Interesting..in a super-geeky-Lost way. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010
    I can't be bothered to do a google search... White Rabbit?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I was thinking about the Jefferson Airplane song myself....hey, Jefferson Airplane....Airplane....LOST.....must be a connection there!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm too lazy to click the link and read it. Can you summarize the contents of the page without using words with more than two syllables? Use big font too, it's easier to read.

Oh, and make it snappy - I don't have all night.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010 edited
    JACK SEES DAD ON ISLAND

JACK LOOKS FOR WATER

BORING FLASHBACKS
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Much better. You should make one of those Lost explanatory montages.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010
    Wait, wasn't that about LOST actually?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010
    Happy Belated LOST Day for yesterday.

Also, I'm very happy this has finally been picked up! cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2010
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010 edited
    So, after an absolute BINGE helping of Lost, I finally reached the end.

Well, as much as I liked the show as a whole, and as much as I was perfectly happy not getting all the answers (or indeed any answer: mystery is good, and we do not need to have explanations handed down to us. Much more fun discovering them over time.), the end positively annoyed me.

Several critics have come back suggesting the overarching "slogan" for the show might be "whatever happened, happened", or "letting go is the greatest achievement".
    I beg to differ.
    With six seasons of just double-speak, vague allegations, suggestions of Greater Things and straightout threats to motivate characters, I think the slogan should be "do as I say, or I will kill or maim you and those closest to you".
    Which, I think, is very much in keeping with the utterly insane ending.

Consider this: the Sideways Universe as it's called -which for the longest time I (like many) thought was a paralel timeline in which which the island had been "unmade" by the historic hydrogen bomb explosion)- , is a Universe where (most) everybody has lived their lives tothe VERY best of their potential. Lived, loved, raised families, cured, healed and created. All in all, showing -for the overly large part- the very best of humanity... and then, by machination, not coincidence, everybody is made to understand that THAT is not how it's supposed to be!
    Oh no! Heaven forbid they should be happy.
    For, as a Christian Shepherd tells us in a church (for FUCK's sake!), this whole universe (you know, the one in which everybody is happy and fulfilled) is just a holding pattern, and everybody IS SUPPOSED (there is that "do as I say" thing again!) to move ON!
    Because, you know, being happy apparently isn't good for you, or something.

ARGH!
    What the fuck are we supposed to take away from that?

Seriously, I do not mind the relatively bleak ending of the "reality" timeline, with its myriad deaths and sacrifices (one of the most touching things I've ever watched was Jin's refusal to leave Sun to die alone on the sub)... but to present a fully rounded timeline, with several secondary characters like Jack's son just living life in a VERY distinct non-dead/limbo/spiritual way as "just" a waiting room for the Afterlife (coupled with the VERY disturbing spiritual message I suggested above) was just...bad.

Stylistically the slow-mo wrap-up party didn't do much for me either (I understand it was also quite literally the very last scene ever filmed by the Lost cast and crew, so the weird party feeling was not one I made up). It really felt like a goodbye party, sans band and catering, rather than a spiritual denouement or apotheosis.

Sadly, this feeling overwhelms the rest of Lost, which -again- I really liked a lot.
    I liked the ambiguity of both Jacob and his brother (really I can't see one as more evil or good than the other). I liked the suggestion of massive ancienity (the unexplained statue of Egyptian god Sebek on the beach, the Temple. Great stuff!), I liked the Magic Well concept. I liked the characters. I liked the dialogue.
    Really, it was a great run, and one of the more interesting things on TV in the last few years.

But the ending... Yuck.
    It might have helped if the writers -like Babylon 5's Michael Straczynski- would actually have had an overarching story with a head and a tail, rather than -by their own admission- a set of epic ideas they just tried and tie together over time, making most up as they went along. They got away with it for six seasons, and admirably and interestingly so. But in the end, it showed.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010
    My gripe with the ending was it had no relevance to the previous seasons. The final season was just a big nostalgia trp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010
    I didn't mind.
    It was just the church scene I wanted to throw a flaming torch into.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010 edited
    I agree, Martijn. The "let's everybody walk into a white, bright light because we've long since written ourselves into a corner and walking into a bright light is obtuse enough to solve everything"-type ending annoyed me too. Clichéed, cheap and a cop-out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011
    Lost finally makes sense smile

http://celebs.icanhascheezburger.com/20 … kes-sense/

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011
    I miss Lost. It was Giacchino as his best too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011
    Completely. I haven't felt anything as strong with anything he released since.
  1. I agree. I'm just listening to Season 1 of Lost now, just wonderful.