• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011 edited
    *sigh* All good things come to an end...

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/daily/a … leID/6706/

I know it's not the end of the world but it'll be a sad day next year when FSM stop producing new CD's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011
    About bloody time!! wink

Seriously, it was a good run and I'm thankful for getting all those unreleased gems out there, especially those by Williams. I wish many of them were presented more with a listening experience in mind, but it's even more imoprtant to get them out there in the first place.

Thankfully, the market is so full of specialty labels that I don't think "it's an end of an era", really. Great releases will continue to come, and Lukas will be involved in many of them.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm glad you feel so possitive Thor, I wonder if this is not the start of some domino effect? I'd hate to see other speciality labels folding because of their interest in producing older sometimes long forgotten scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    I'm glad you feel so possitive Thor, I wonder if this is not the start of some domino effect? I'd hate to see other speciality labels folding because of their interest in producing older sometimes long forgotten scores.

That is a worry I share, Tim.

I was just listening to (clips of) FSM's newest release, The Space Children & The Colossus of New York (both by Nathan Van Cleave), and thought how great it sounded. Who would release something like that in the future? Intrada? Perhaps. But, it's likely that there will be titles that may have seen the light of day yesterday that now may be less likely to be released.

Perhaps with one less label the titles that are remaining to be released can be snapped up by the remaining labels. We may still see the titles we want being released, but it will just take a bit longer. Who knows.

I did think when reading Lukas' comments that perhaps FSM are a victim of their own success. Being one of the pioneer labels at the start, they were had set up deals with studios to release their music. But there were labels at the time who would not play ball and not give access to their music. That was fine, and FSM had success in releasing quality music that was quite well known. It seems today that other labels have been more fortunate in gaining access to the studios that were reluctant to give access before and now they are having their own Golden Age, releasing scores that are of great demand.

I am sure that Lukas' job has become more of a chore than a passion (for all the reasons he mentions). Now he wants to enjoy the music more but still keep his hand in.

If all my discs were not in boxes I would be looking at title after title that has given me hours and hours of enjoyment (and will continue to do so). I have nothing but gratitude for Lukas and the team at FSM for producing so many desired titles for me and many others (including some titles I had no idea I had a desire for until I heard them!)

I am looking forward to hearing what they have in store for us over the next few months.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here's my little tribute to Lukas and FSM.
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1194

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    If all my discs were not in boxes I would be looking at title after title that has given me hours and hours of enjoyment (and will continue to do so). I have nothing but gratitude for Lukas and the team at FSM for producing so many desired titles for me and many others (including some titles I had no idea I had a desire for until I heard them!)

I am looking forward to hearing what they have in store for us over the next few months.

Well put, Alan!
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    rip

They will be missed. There's no other company that produces scores with such an attention to details. A real holy grail factory.

Peter smile
  2. A sad day, one which probably reflects the economy more than anything. (I see it is not explicitly referred to in Lukas's piece.) It reminds me there are a few titles I really do have to get around to buying. The company has a rich legacy.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011
    I saw this coming when the rules changed at SAE. I fear that there will be further changes in the industry coming. Now a sharp well run company like Naxos is already setup and in place. Their entire catalog of material is available through the website.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  3. Keeping fingers crossed that the last two of my holy grails (Gremlins & Hook complete) get released before Lukas pulls the plug.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Probably thought that once your Holy Grail titles were done that there was no point continuing. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't know about HOOK ( and don't care personally but will hope it comes for your sake wink ) but GREMLINS is definitely coming from what I've heard? To be honest, it's not a score that overly interests me either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Keeping fingers crossed that the last two of my holy grails (Gremlins & Hook complete) get released before Lukas pulls the plug.

I think La La Land will be working on Hook!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. That's like totally awesome news dude !!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's just speculation but I think MV hinted at it on the FSM board a while back!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2021 edited
    10 years later, and I'm still bummed that FSM ceazed their CD production. Theirs was really the only label that released old and obscure Williams. The last really old, obscure, previously unreleased Williams score that got a release was NIGHTWATCH in 2011. Well, there was PETE'N'TILLIE, which was included as a bonus on the STANLEY & IRIS expanded release, but that's not quite obscure enough for hardcore JW nuts like me. No one has really followed in FSM's footsteps since then.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I too lament the passing of FSM releases.