• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Anthony wrote
    I think after finally completing my Pixar DVD collection, I can safely say my favourites in order:

1. The Incredibles
    2. Ratatouille
    3. Toy Story 2
    4. A Bug's Life
    5. Monster's Inc
    6. Finding Nemo
    7. Cars
    8. Toy Story

I'm not quite sure where I'd put Wall-E. It was a good movie, but on a different level from the rest of the Pixar ones.

Toy story at the bottom!!!!!!!!!!!!!..Dear God Man!!

Me and Bregt went and saw Wall.E yesterday, and our opinions were not quite as positive as everyone elses, but we'll discuss in more detail when Bregt is at a computer so we can back each other up!
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008
    Toy Story feels too "dark" to be a Pixar film. Plus, it's an HOUR AND SEVENTEEN MINUTES long. That's not feature length!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    There's got to be a name for the way they are playing. Anyone?

Well, I play horn, but all I can tell you is that they are alternating between staccato and slurred notes (going from short, separated notes to smooth, together notes).

Anthony wrote
    And does anyone know if any similar sounding performances?

I probably do, but not offhand. wink Sorry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Toy Story feels too "dark" to be a Pixar film. Plus, it's an HOUR AND SEVENTEEN MINUTES long. That's not feature length!

Too dark? Hmm, fair enough. I've always considered Toy Story 1 and 2 the more fluffy outings of Pixar. Haven't seen Toy Story for ages, but I've always thought Toy Story 2 to be the weakest of all the Pixar films - that is until Cars came along of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Toy Story feels too "dark" to be a Pixar film.

I think so, too. beer Sid and one of his mutated monster toys used to creep me out when I was younger. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    ... I've always thought Toy Story 2 to be the weakest of all the Pixar films - that is until Cars came along of course.

Meaning you like Cars the least? I have always had a pretty strong dislike towards A Bug's Life. I don't know exactly why, but I just don't really enjoy that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hmm, must have been a long time since I've seen this one, I can't remember it being dark? Methinks a viewing is in order.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008
    Anthony wrote

Well excuse me Mr ADD.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  2. Anthony wrote
    Plus, it's an HOUR AND SEVENTEEN MINUTES long. That's not feature length!

So what ?

Toy Story is the first animated film by Pixar, made in 1995, NOT in 2008...

Cars better than Toy Story ??

vomit
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008
    Toy Story doesn't feel bighearted enough to be a Pixar film....but Cars just isn't funny. I must say though, the best gag is in the credits when John Ratzenberger is going on about what a great actor he is. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    My top 10 in order -

1) Finding Nemo
    2) Ratatouille
    3) Toy Story 2
    4) Toy Story
    5) The Incredibles
    6) Monsters Inc.
    7) A Bug's Life
    8) Cars

I'm sure Wall-E might come up somewhere towards the top when I watch it! Unfortunately I'll have to wait for the DVD, they didn't release it in the theatres here at all for some reason!! angry
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I've got to watch Finding Nemo again. I've only seen it a couple of times and it didn't really catch my attention. Granted both these times were 1am after an evening of heavy drinking. beer vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    Unfortunately I'll have to wait for the DVD, they didn't release it in the theatres here at all for some reason!! angry

What? confused Well that stinks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008
    Ok..this is my Top Pixar as well...

1. Finding Nemo - Probably the best all around animated film of all time. Yahoo users have already selected as the best animated film of all time.. I should agree on that because of the great treatment of its simple but very human and touching story. The score by Newman is one of my all time favorite scores...

2. Ratatouille - Great film with probably one of the better endings Ive ever seen... Excellent score too..

3. Monsters Inc. - Very entertaining and touching film...Randy Newman did a very good and moving score... Love that main tittle with jazz elements...

4. Wall-e - This is the most adult-oriented film that Pixar has ever done because of its environmental awareness and great love story. Excellent script and Tomas Newman did a great score again...

5. Toy Story 2 - Very funny..lots of jokes...very good film.

6. The Incredibles - I think this film captured the essence of a family just like a very few films have done before even real ones...

7. Toy Story - A breakthrough for Pixar and animation in general. Very good film...

8. Cars - I didn´t connect too much with the story...The score was not as expected.

9. A bug´s life - Great visuals but maybe the characters were not very interesting to me...
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Tim (not timmer) went to see Wall-E at Bath this week, and we were both, surprisingly, quite disappointed. We had like both the "is this it?" idea the first moment when the credits had rolled. I'm sure nobody will agree, and I don't say it's a bad movie (it's still better than the usual animation movie) but we couldn't see the brilliance, at least not in the story, which was quite predictable and not surprising at all.

MINOR SPOILERS
    Don't start about the double layers in the movie, because they were so apparent that even when being blind and deaf, you could see the story referenced the current environmental issues, the fact that we produce too much waste, the fact that we sit still before our desk and don't do much sports, the fact that big companies are evil (obviously), ... It was all like .. blatant? And the storyline with the lonely plant was not very original either.
    END

But besides that, the animation was terrific, the first 20-30 minutes were in fact awesome (until the second half made it less interesting), the fact that there was very few dialogue here made it extra special. Wall-E was superbly animated (remember that close-up somewhere in the first half shocked ).

Myeah, I don't know, I was shocked that it was "only", although that may have been driven by the now seeming over-enthousiasm of the movie at all those review websites. Not Pixar's best at all. Perhaps I need to see it another time, but then it'll be not in a cinema, because in Bath, that was like extremely expensive.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    [old Steven] Is it me, or are youths these days becoming harder to please? rolleyes [/old Steven]

Honestly, from the clips I've seen I'm already in love with the characters. And the music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Unfortunately I'll have to wait for the DVD, they didn't release it in the theatres here at all for some reason!! angry

Yeah! It's really annoying, they only release live action movies here. Cos the "kewl" young people of my age consider anyone who watches animated movies as immature and childish. slant vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Then they are most definitely not cool. Most people I know at uni love animated movies, although I should say that trying to be "cool" all the time isn't really an issue at uni, culture tends to be very different in a university environment than a school environment - all for the better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Yeah! It's really annoying, they only release live action movies here. Cos the "kewl" young people of my age consider anyone who watches animated movies as immature and childish. slant vomit

Is that seriously why? That seems like a stupid reason to me. And, yeah, the kids over here, my age, are the exact same way. It stinks; everything boils down to being 'cool,' rather than being who you actually are. sad vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The people that don't need to be cool are the cool ones. I know that sounds like a fat man saying it's okay to be overweight, but it really is true to say that those who try to be 'cool' all the time are the real losers.

If you get along with people, have a sense of humour, know how to have a laugh and when to be serious, that's what I consider "cool". It has nothing to do with keeping up with fads and fashion! That's all bullshit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    It has nothing to do with keeping up with fads and fashion! That's all bullshit.

I agree! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    It has nothing to do with keeping up with fads and fashion! That's all bullshit.

I agree! beer

Yeah! beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Robinson wrote
    6. The Incredibles - I think this film captured the essence of a family just like a very few films have done before even real ones...

But we all know the best factors of this movie was that they are on a tropical island with a monorail, a hidden underground base, awesome flying-transports and a rocket that launches out of a volcano!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Anthony wrote
    Robinson wrote

But we all know the best factors of this movie was that they are on a tropical island with a monorail, a hidden underground base, awesome flying-transports and a rocket that launches out of a volcano!

No. Not that those aren't ridiculously cool but umm...no.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Bregt wrote
    Tim (not timmer) went to see Wall-E at Bath this week, and we were both, surprisingly, quite disappointed. We had like both the "is this it?" idea the first moment when the credits had rolled. I'm sure nobody will agree, and I don't say it's a bad movie (it's still better than the usual animation movie) but we couldn't see the brilliance, at least not in the story, which was quite predictable and not surprising at all.

More-or-less echoes what I thought after seeing this. I wish I had sneaked out and watched The Dark Knight instead.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. I want to say a four letter word in front of Dark Knight, four letter word, starts with f, ends with k, and it's not folk.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008
    KevinSmith wrote
    I want to say a four letter word in front of Dark Knight, four letter word, starts with f, ends with k, and it's not folk.

As in " shocked " THAT WAS SO GOOD, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    KevinSmith wrote
    I want to say a four letter word in front of Dark Knight, four letter word, starts with f, ends with k, and it's not folk.

I wonder what it could be... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fuck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He's obviously a fan of the fcuk clothing brand; that or someone in the movie wore fcuk clothes.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.