• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007 edited
    Here's the brand new trailer to WALL·E. Really excited about this; Pixar hasn't disappointed yet.

For some reason, you can't open the trailer in your browser. You'll have to save it to you hard drive.

Trailer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Pixar has disappointed... A Bug's Life anyone. And even though the rest of the world LOVED Ratatouille, too me it fell flat on it's face many times. It was the first cliche-ridden Pixar movie and that's in itself is a big disappointment for me. I haven't seen Cars yet but the trailer did absolutely nothing for me. Can anyone else chime in her about that particular film

As for Wall-E... could be fun!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007 edited
    Cars is, for me, the only disappointment from Pixar, even though I did enjoy it and it's still above anything the other studio's come up with, just because it, as everything from Pixar, breathes true passion for the art of animation. So if you do not love the studio, there's no need for you to check that one out wink

Apparantly I'm the member of a select few who loves A Bug's Life. It's a very original concept, the jokes are often hilarious, the characters are wonderful and it's just so passionately made. I'd definitely rate it above Toy Story (the first part), which is, for me, mostly a first experiment with the medium (though I haven't rewatched it in years).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BobdH wrote
    So if you do not love the studio, there's no need for you to check that one out wink

Oh, I love the studio and most of the work they have created.

BTW, I prefer Antz over A Bug's Life.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I adore Pixar! Apart from The Incredibles, I love all their films unreservedly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    I too love A Bug's Life and have never understood the criticism against it. It's a great movie from beginning to end and has a wonderful score from Randy Newman to boot. Cars is quite easily the weakest of their films, but it's still a fun movie, and leagues ahead of any other animation house in both story and animation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

I used to like you man. You were on my short list man! This changes everything you realize. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

I used to like you man. You were on my short list man! This changes everything you realize. slant

No kidding... how can you be a fan of Pixar and not love EVERYTHING about The Incredibles <-- My favorite Pixar film next to Toy Story 2.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    For me, A bug's life doesn't stand a chance against Antz...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've only seen The Incredibles once, and I want to watch it again. I just didn't think it had the same attempts to appeal to adults as broadly as it does children, save for some pop culture references which were more on the level of Dreamworks animations than Pixar. Perhaps I was wrong.

I thought Antz was OK. But nowhere near A Bug's Life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMWRuger
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2007
    I liked Cars.

The main story, Lightning McQueen’s evolution from a hyper-competitive jerk to someone who can appreciate that there are some things more important than winning, isn’t the main draw in my opinion. It’s the call of the forgotten past, all those little slices of Americana hidden down the lost byways of Route 66.

The interstate is clearly more efficient and saves time and money and is focused on the goal of point A to point B, but the Route 66 illustrates that the journey is just as important as the destination and that for the sake of efficiency and savings, we have given up something important without pausing to consider it’s value. This, of course, ties into Lightning’s growing awareness and ultimate redemption.

I haven’t seen Ratatouille yet, but I have doubts about the hilarity of a Rat Chef. I suppose the story is about how you shouldn’t judge someone because of what they look like or background. As someone who cooks every day I have my doubts whether this one will work for me or not.

Monsters Inc. is probably my least favorite of the Pixar films. I have seen it a couple of times and while enjoyable didn’t engage me.

The Incredible is simply the best homage to silver age comics ever on the silver screen. It is unabashedly retro and captures perfectly that bygone era of comics from the 60s’ to the mid 70’s. Great, great stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The Incredibles has the cutest baby ever.
    Alone for that, this movie should b like by everyone!

Heartless people here.
    HEARTLESS!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed Bregt, indeed!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    Erik Woods wrote
    Pixar has disappointed... A Bug's Life anyone. And even though the rest of the world LOVED Ratatouille, too me it fell flat on it's face many times. It was the first cliche-ridden Pixar movie and that's in itself is a big disappointment for me. I haven't seen Cars yet but the trailer did absolutely nothing for me. Can anyone else chime in her about that particular film

As for Wall-E... could be fun!

-Erik-

Cars... eh, I enjoyed it but it's not the kind of Pixar film that exactly requires repeat viewings. It felt way too long and it was amusing, but had hardly any laugh-out-moments (I think people who love NASCAR and/or cars will get a bigger kick out of the film than I did, as it's geared more towards them). Ratatouille for me, was a bit disappointing but I enjoyed it far more than Cars.

And I agree with you on The Incredibles and Toy Story 2 being your top two favorite Pixar films. I also really like Monsters, Inc. but I haven't gotten around to getting the DVD yet.

I wonder who will score Wall-E -- I think it may be Newman again.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  1. Newman's been confirmed on this one for a long time, Matt smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    shocked

I'm really behind on who's scoring what now. shame
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007
    WOW!

I just saw the trailer!

I can't wait to watch this movie! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007
    I'm already in love with the character.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Seen the movie twice now, and I must say, it's one of Pixar's better ones, quite possibly my favorite from them. biggrin
  2. Pixar films I've seen:
    Toy Story: too long ago to remember what it's about.
    Toy Story 2: seen it recently and found it somewhat enjoyable, still awesome animation.
    a Bug's Life: bugs are cute and raise a smile now and then, a good Pixar.
    Monsters Inc.: some good moments and brilliant voice acting, though not as strong a film.
    The Incredibles: now this one I have to get on blu-ray because that will be fantastic.
    Ratatouille: simply incredible, engaging story and technically unequaled.

Wall-E will find its name on this list soon enough. The various trailers peaked my interest and I wanna watch it first chance I get.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Personally speaking, I liked almost every Pixar movie till date, my favs being Toy Story 1 and 2, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles and Ratatouille. Will have to wait a bit for Wall-E cos it's not out here yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    Personally speaking, I liked almost every Pixar movie till date, my favs being Toy Story 1 and 2, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles and Ratatouille. Will have to wait a bit for Wall-E cos it's not out here yet.

You'll probably like it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote

You'll probably like it. wink

Yep! biggrin
  3. Here's what I wrote at anotehr board. Some light spoilers:

Saw "Wall-E" today.

While I enjoyed it and wouldn't mind seeing it again, I'd say it wasn't as good as "The Incredibles". The film lacked the over all excitment and interest holding that that film had, though during the last, say, 10 to 15 minutes it definately did.

It's clear Pixar, at various times in the film, was trying to show a political and polution message, but they made sure to never push it too far or make it too overt. A good line of thought that the Whoopie Goldberg/Robin Williams comedy special a couple or so years back could have learned from (I tuned in to laugh, not hear Bush bashing right off the bat).

Wall-E is a likable character, even though he rarely speaks. No explination is given as to why all the other Wall-E units failed and died while he remained the only to survive, but it's very easy to look passed that and forget it all together.

Without giving too much spoilers, the film is basically about a lonely compactor robot unit mass producted, called Wall-E. When the Earth became overwhelmed by garbage, the Wall-E units were created and to clean up. Unfortunately polution forced humanity to leave, but the Wall-E units were left going.

For 700 years Wall-E crushed cubes of garbage and stacked then until a rocket comes to Earth, with a probe named EVE.

All those decades Wall-E's programming has made him lonely and wanting the company of another and when EVE and Wall-E befriend, he follows her where ever she goes.

The human race has become a mere shell of what it once was and a self-centered commercialized mess, to which EVE and Wall-E are the saviors.

The film has heart and at least two good belly laughs as I recall.

I'd say a discount afternoon viewing is worth it, but unless you are a die-hard Pixar fan, I don't quite think $8.50 is worth it.

Thomas Newman's score works very well in the film, even if "dsijointed" on CD. This was Newman's chance to show what he can do for outerspace, and while it was good, it's no Star Trek -- so stop suggesting he should score Trek films; the best thing he could have done is the "Enterprise" series. At the very least he's ci-fi scoring is good enough for something along the lines of "Gattaca", "Space: Above & Beyond" and maybe even something like "Battlestar Galactica".

(Yes, I meant Thomas Newman)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008
    I saw Wall.E last Sunday. I don't have the OST, but I really liked the score in the movie when Wall.E is approaching the AXIOM spaceship. At that time the score was very massive/serious/imposing. Very good stuff. Love that part.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008 edited
    Talos wrote
    ... I really liked the score in the movie when Wall.E is approaching the AXIOM spaceship. At that time the score was very massive/serious/imposing. Very good stuff. Love that part.

Yep, I like that part too! smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I still think my favourite cue is "Wall-E's Pod Adventure" which can hardly be heard in the movie! I love the brass that comes in at :14.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think after finally completing my Pixar DVD collection, I can safely say my favourites in order:

1. The Incredibles
    2. Ratatouille
    3. Toy Story 2
    4. A Bug's Life
    5. Monster's Inc
    6. Finding Nemo
    7. Cars
    8. Toy Story

I'm not quite sure where I'd put Wall-E. It was a good movie, but on a different level from the rest of the Pixar ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    I still think my favourite cue is "Wall-E's Pod Adventure" which can hardly be heard in the movie! I love the brass that comes in at :14.

Ooh, yeah! Gotta love those horns! punk biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    There's got to be a name for the way they are playing. Anyone?

And does anyone know if any similar sounding performances?