• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2011 edited
    (so far that is)

TUOMAS KANTELINEN's "THE ITALIAN KEY", an outstanding and beautiful score praying for a release.
    MARCO BELTRAMI's and BUCK SANDER'S DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK one of the best horror scores i've heard in years.
    MARK McKENZIE's lyrical "EL GRAN MILAGRO"
    The truly beautiful "JANE EYRE" by DARIO MARIANELLI
    and of equal characteristics' "LA FILLE DU PULSATIER" (ALEXANDRE DESPLAT)
    DOMINICK SHERRER'S tv score for "MONROE"
    THOMAS NEWMAN'S back on form with "THE HELP"
    RACHEL PORTMAN'S gorgeous "SNOW FLOWER AND THE SECRET FAN"
    HENRY JACKMAN'S "WINNIE THE POOH"
    HENRY JACKMAN'S and RODRIGO Y GABRIELLA - Puss in Boots
    ALBERTO IGLESIAS' THE SKIN I LIVE IN
    and of course the charmingly dark and complex "TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY" by ALBERTO IGLESIAS.
    LUDOVIC BOURCE - The Artist
    BRIAN TYLER - fast five
    The rum diary - Christopher young
    FEDERICO JUSID's HISPANIA
    WILL, composed by Nigel Clarke and Michael Csányi-Wills
    Abel Korzeniowski' W.E.
    The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim by JEREMY SOULE
    Lord of the Rings: war of the North by Inon Zur
    Assasins Creed: revelations by Lorne Balfe and Jesper Kyd.
    Extremely Loud and incredibly close by Alexandre Desplat
    The iron Lady by Thomas Newman

More to be followed soon.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2011
    I'll make a tally when the year is over. There are some really exciting things ahead, two Williamses, at least two Elfmans etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2011
    What is this "Monroe" like? I have never heard of it before now. And every time you say a score is one of the best of the year I always end up loving it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011
    Updates with Iglesias' superb THE SKIN I LIVE IN.
  1. I've not heard one score on that list. shocked

My heart isn't with the newer generation anymore. But that's alright, I have more than enough of the oldies to enjoy.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    I've not heard one score on that list. shocked

My heart isn't with the newer generation anymore. But that's alright, I have more than enough of the oldies to enjoy.

Do yourself a favour... take 15 minutes out of your day and listen to the EL GRAN MILAGRO suite on my show http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=756 and then buy the album http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/grmielgrmior.html

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote

It's not new generation, the scores listed above. They have everlasting qualities, especially what Erik linked to smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011 edited
    I have a much harder time to keep up with all the new music, because of a dissolving level of interest and because of the fact that there's simply too much music all the time, plus I have to make time to listen to everything I have. But I'm having fun doing so. I just prefer to listen to the ones I love, than to put time into something new, fearing it will be another crap waste of time.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011
    Find out the good ones and listen to those only, not everything that comes out.
  2. Christodoulides wrote

And how do you "find the good ones" if you don't sample all the one that might be of interest?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You probably can't Alan. Like books there aren't enough hours in the day to read everything written.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    If you read this site every day and know the tastes of the various members, you can usually tell by their comments which scores will be to your tastes and which scores won't.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. sdtom wrote
    You probably can't Alan. Like books there aren't enough hours in the day to read everything written.

Surely everything can't be of interest? It's like browsing in a bookstore looking for something to read. I wouldn't dream of starting at one end of the shop and buying the first book, reading it and then coming back for the next in line. I look at the bestsellers, look at the authors, read the promotional bits, maybe read a few pages (maybe be attracted to the cover and browse that book!). Then I may browse certain sections in the shop using the same technique to weed out everything until I get the one I want. THEN I would read the book.

The same is for the music. From my own experience there is a lot of stuff that just doesn't interest me (specific composers, specific films, certain musical styles) and I can ignore them, then I listen to clips that are available and I weed out the scores where the music turns out not to be particularly interesting.

What's left are the few titles than may be of interest and then I go about finding out a bit more about these ones (reviews, opinions, etc).

A much more manageable number to consider.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    To be honest I think there's still a ton of stuff in my own collection that needs new attention/re-evaluation, a chance to become familiar with the unfamiliar, I haven't counted my CD's in years but a conservative estimate says I have well in excess of 2.5 thousand, that's just too many.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

And how do you "find the good ones" if you don't sample all the one that might be of interest?

According to one's tastes (composers and genres we like) and / or generally by avoiding the scores you know they're going to be nothing special or even worse - suck. Such as output from specific composers or from specific genres which rarely hold any interest (i.e. comedy for instance or the large bunch of animated or horror scores which all sound the same, scoring by the numbers) unless you read a review or general tendency towards such a score that might be very different: recent case for instance: Debney's latest horror score: DREAM HOUSE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    To be honest I think there's still a ton of stuff in my own collection that needs new attention/re-evaluation, a chance to become familiar with the unfamiliar, I haven't counted my CD's in years but a conservative estimate says I have well in excess of 2.5 thousand, that's just too many.

Oh man 2500, that shows what a smalltime miniscule collector I am (maybe having 400 scores give or take and about 100 albums in other genres). And where do you find room to store all those CDs?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Shelves! in the living room, bedroom, kitchen...........

There's a whole load stored in the attic, these are the ones I need to revisit.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011
    Your Highness - Steve Jablonsky ( a really Underrated Score IMHO)

Kung Fu Panda 2 - John Powell and Hans Zimmer.

Fast Five - Brian tyler.

Soul surfer -Marco Beltrami

Priest - Christopher Young.

Rise of the planet of the Apes - Patrick Doyle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011
    Current front-runners (also quite unlikely to change):

El Gran Milagro (McKenzie)
    Kung Fu Panda 2 (Powell/Zimmer)
    La Ligne Droite (Doyle)
    Priest (Young)
    Soul Surfer (Beltrami)
  4. Priest (Young)
    Soul Surfer (Beltrami)
    Le Fille Du Puisatier (Desplat)
    Battle Los Angeles (Tyler)
    Deathly Hallows Part 2 (Desplat)

There's still some which I'm expecting to hear (including Tintin and War Horse).
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Do yourself a favour... take 15 minutes out of your day and listen to the EL GRAN MILAGRO suite on my show http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=756 and then buy the album http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/grmielgrmior.html

-Erik-

not nessecary Erik, I bought the score and once it arrives, I'll make him listen to it wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011 edited
    Updated with the gorgeous LUDOVIC BOURCE - The Artist , i'm on the 5th listen now and can't get enough.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Updated with the gorgeous LUDOVIC BOURCE - The Artist , i've on the 5th listen now and can't get enough.

Best score, worst publicity doubleheader?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Excuse me?
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Excuse me?

What I mean that on the one hand you talk of it as being an excellent score but on the other had I have never heard anyone talking about it (as you mentioned).

Best score and worst publicity.

Unless I have got the wrong end of the stick and your initial comments were a statement on how little publicity there has actually been for such a highly regarded score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011 edited

Unless I have got the wrong end of the stick and your initial comments were a statement on how little publicity there has actually been for such a highly regarded score?

It's new, and small-scale / indie / festival kind of movie. The composer is unknown (at least to me). It's natural that not many people will know it; this is why i am talking of it boldly, cause a) it deserves it and b) this way it can attract people's attention. It's also caustic to the point that we're flawed with the same scores and talk about the same composers and / or scores of inferior quality, 90% of the cases. This is a huge depart from the rule, a pleasant surprise. smile
  8. I look forward to sampling it at some point in the future. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
  9. I see that the album was released in France on the 10th October:

http://www.amazon.fr/The-Artist/dp/B005 … amp;sr=8-2

It's slated for release in the UK on the 18th October.

For the sake of balance, I don't really like the clips. Probably because I don't like the era (and therefore the style of music).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I see that the album was released in France on the 10th October:

http://www.amazon.fr/The-Artist/dp/B005 … amp;sr=8-2

It's slated for release in the UK on the 18th October.

For the sake of balance, I don't really like the clips. Probably because I don't like the era (and therefore the style of music).

Fair enough smile
  10. But thanks again for bringing it to my attention, D. beer