• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    What else is there, when film music is going down the toilet...

In your own, thankfully not largely-shared, opinion smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. tongue

I'm an oddball... I am aware of that. My personal tastes (or distastes) do not necessarily reflect those of the majority of the community.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012
    So this Saturday I saw the Pittsburgh Symphony perform Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses. Absolutely fantastic! Slight caveat; I am an obsessive Zelda fan (complete with Zelda tattoo!), which makes me likely to enjoy anything Zelda related. On the other hand, it makes me a pretty harsh critic sometimes too; again, the Zelda suite that was part of the Video Games Live tour was one of the weaker moments of the show. Not so with this. The opening prelude was exactly what the VGL suite should have been; introducing the major themes of the series (main theme, zelda's theme, gannon's theme, etc). After that, there were a few themed suites (dungeons, ocarina tunes, great fairy theme, etc) and the symphony in 4 movements. Each of the 4 movements was dedicated to an individal game (ocarina, wind waker, twilight princess and link to the past), but there are enough reocurring themes throughout to make it seem like a cohesive symphony. They finished with three encores, including the final one which was a suite based on Majora's Mask.

Like all video game related shows, there was a lot of video of gameplay and cutscene footage. The presenter and conductor seemed to be having a really good time, and the composer was brought up on stage at the end. For the Wind Waker suite the conductor used a replica of the Wind Waker to conduct, gleeful that there was a game where a baton is a major part of the gameplay!

Sadly, there was no recording of the show available. Hopefully they'll get around to releasing one soon; the suites are well arranged and a much more rewarding listen than the orchestrated scores for the various games. I also felt compelled to play through all the games again, in order of release. We'll see if I can finish before the 25th anniversary of the US release (8.22, which also happens to be my birthday).

Great show, and again, hopefully they'll release it so everyone can hear it!
  2. I would be very interested in hearing such a concert recording of Legend of Zelda music. That 45 minute thingie released last year is good but a bit short.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012
    Argh, I missed that! Yeah, that is the material they're touring with (though about twice as long). That includes two of the four movements from the symphony (missing Ocarina and Link To The Past). By the looks of it though, everything on the CD was played.

Looks like the CD is a little tough to come by. Hopefully they'll do a wider release with the symphony complete and in order, as well as the other stuff that isn't on this CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2012
    Greatest Music games vol. 2 is out:
    http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Video-Ga … me+music+2

It is also available on Spotify. It includes the Icarus theme from Deus Ex: Human Revolution o/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSirCaledor
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012
    Check out the following new additions to GSoundtracks:

Review: Assassin's Creed: Liberation by Winifred Philipps

All in all, the score to Assassin’s Creed: Liberation is a fine effort in every respect and one that deserves the attention of game music enthusiasts. And even though the score might easily be overlooked, since it accompanies a rather precarious Assassin’s Creed spin-off game, it enriches the musical landscape of the series in an exciting and enjoyable way: it is highly recommended to fans of the franchise.

http://www.gsoundtracks.com/reviews/ass … eedlib.htm

Interviews with composers Andreas Waldetoft and Howard Mostrom

http://www.gsoundtracks.com/interviews/waldetoft.htm
    http://www.gsoundtracks.com/interviews/mostrom.htm

I hope you enjoy the new stuff! smile
  3. Interested to hear the very positive comments in the above review (and elsewhere). I found the choice of synths/samples very, very distracting.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2013
    Listen to The Greatest Video Game Music 2 ENTIRE cd online! Excellent re-recordings on this one.

Thanks to tracksounds and X5musicgroup for the heads-up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eluZ_UY5AxA
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Here's a link to a free promo release of music from a game called League of Legends. Not sure how long it's going to be free for though since it's just been released on iTunes, etc.

http://promo.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/music-of-league/
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2015
    "a game called"....there are people who don't know what LoL is? I don't even play it and I feel like nerd/geek culture is saturated with the knowledge of its existence. Maybe I just read too many PC gaming websites. To me that statement was akin to someone saying, here is music from a film called "The Hobbit"... biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. I'd never heard of it, either. But then the last PC game I regularly played was Heroes of Might and Magic 5, so...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Neither have I.
    But my last played game was Secret Of Monkey Island, so, you know...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Scribe wrote
    "a game called"....there are people who don't know what LoL is? I don't even play it and I feel like nerd/geek culture is saturated with the knowledge of its existence. Maybe I just read too many PC gaming websites. To me that statement was akin to someone saying, here is music from a film called "The Hobbit"... biggrin

Someone's made a film of The Hobbit?! I think that that story will make a really good 90-minute movie.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    Neither have I.
    But my last played game was Secret Of Monkey Island, so, you know...

Wow. No wonder I don't fit in around here.

christopher wrote
    I'd never heard of it, either. But then the last PC game I regularly played was Heroes of Might and Magic 5, so...

Wow. No wonder I don't fit in around here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2015 edited
    Nobody fits in around here. Especially Thor.

I'm a Playstationer (Playstationite?), so I've never played League of Legends. I'm currently playing The Last of Us on the PS4, which is the most impressive game I've ever played. (People rave about the score, but I think it's adequate at best.)
  7. The last electronic game I played was Tetris. 30 years ago.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, well. They've come a long way since then, grandpa.
  8. I try to stay updated on games, but that is mostly because I have some friends who have a gaming channel on youtube that they want me to join. That would give me the opportunity to look closer at game soundtracks. I have read a little bit about the composition aspect of it as well, as I would love to compose music for games. It might have been mentioned here before, but a must-listen in game scores is Journey by Austin Wintory, first video game to be nominated for Grammy Award for Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media. There is also a great lecture with him on youtube where he talks about what he thinks are some of the positive aspects of online music sharing
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The only games I've played in the last couple of years are those from Telltale (mostly THE WALKING DEAD). Whenever they do an old-school point-and-click, I'm there. But beyond that, nada. My gaming days were over in the late 90s or early 2000s.

However, I do receive a fair amount of promos from computer game scores (both released and unreleased), and there is occasionally some good stuff there, for games I've not even heard about.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    The last electronic game I played was Tetris. 30 years ago.

I had Atari when I was a teenager, you could play tennis with 3 ( count em ) 3 speed settings. cool

Nowadays, aside from the odd muckabout on other peoples games I don't own or play any and have no intention to, I have enough poison in my life without adding more. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Nobody fits in around here. Especially Thor.

I'm a Playstationer (Playstationite?), so I've never played League of Legends. I'm currently playing The Last of Us on the PS4, which is the most impressive game I've ever played. (People rave about the score, but I think it's adequate at best.)

Yes, that's a bloody fantastic game. The last few hours left me dazed and overwhelmed in a way that few other storytelling experiences have ever done. The score is wonderfully atmospheric but pretty forgettable outside its function.

On a related Playstationy note I really hope Naughty Dog remaster and re-release the Uncharted series the same way they did The Last of Us, because now I really want to play them all but I don't want to buy a PS3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Here's a link to a free promo release of music from a game called League of Legends. Not sure how long it's going to be free for though since it's just been released on iTunes, etc.

http://promo.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/music-of-league/

Oh my! shocked
    This is REALLY good!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2015
    Just listened. yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Who wrote it?

A mystery! He/she/they is/are not credited!
    The only references I can find is to a writer of one of the songs.
    • CommentAuthorCalcio
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    Who wrote it?

VGMDB says: Michael Barry, Christian Linke, Sebastien Najand, Dan Negovan, Alexander Temple.

http://vgmdb.net/album/50544
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nice one!
    Thanks, Calcio!
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2020 edited
    Yu-Peng Chen - Genshin Impact - The Wind and the Star Traveler
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/gensh … -traveler/

I don´t know, but this looks promising.