• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2007
    I'd like to get some recommendations on some video game scores that have an official CD release. I've heard rave reviews about Giacchino's Medal of Honor and Tilton's Mercenaries but I want to see what else is out there. There has to be more out there than what Screen Archives is offering.

Any recommendations, any sites I can buy them from?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Besides the obvious Giacchino recommendations (MOH series, Secret Weapons Over Normandy) I highly recommend you check out the stunning music of Jeremy Soule. His score to Guild Wars: Eye of the North is one of my favorites this year. You can purchase his music directly from www.directsong.com/

http://www.music4games.net/ is a good place to hang out where you'll find some more obsure recommendations.

One of my all time favorites is Primal by Paul Arnold and Andrew Barnabas (aka Bob and Barn)

The music of Jesper Kyd is impressive. Freedom Fights and Hitman are solid works.

Christopher Lennertz work of the Medal of Honor series is as impressive as Giacchino's. You can buy his MOH scores from iTunes.

Also look into the works for Inon Zur - www.inonzur.com - and Bill Brown - www.billbrownmusic.com

Bruce Borughton's Heart of Darkness is available on the Intrada label. The very first fully orchestral score for a CD-ROM game.

The Dig by Michael Land

And if you can find it... Outcast by Lennie Moore. This was one of the very first all orchestral score written for a console or PC based game. A massive score performed by the Moscow Symphony.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    "Advent Rising" by Tommy Tallarico,---great chorus music

"Cinematic Suite" from Warcraft 3 soundtrack, and World of Warcraft soundtrack, by Jason Hayes---solid fantasy score, much alike LOTR

"Bladestorm - Hundred Years War" by Jamie Christopherson --- Flesh+Blood-like score

And don't forget "LAIR" by John Debney !
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BIOSHOCK
    GOD OF WAR
    GOD OF WAR II

Come to mind now, all amazing works. And of course

the MEDAL OF HONOR series
    LAIR
    COMMAND AND CONQUER : generals
    by BILL BROWN (and lots of other stuff by him like the legendary original RAINBOW SIX score)
    METAL GEAR SOLID (the ones by HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS)
    SOCOM 3 (JAMES DOOLEY)
    Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (RUPERT GREGSON WILLIAMS)

Will think of more later! wave
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Gears of War

& Halo 1, 2, 3
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Guys, thanks for the suggestions, but emphasis on the video game scores that have an official CD release. I don't want to get recommendations that are digital downloads only.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Then you're missing out incredibly good stuff wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Don't forget the Final Fantasy series. Although, don't ask me where you'd should start.
    I also heard a lot of good game music on that concert last week. I loved Shadow of te Colossus.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    What about Mercenaries? I read a mixed review about it, saying that Giacchino's themes are good but the underscore by Tilton isn't as good. Is it worth checking out?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    The game music to From Russia With Love. Perfect.

And of course, The Medal of Honor series, and Black.

Goldeneye is also a fun one to listen to. Haha
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2007 edited
    Matt C wrote
    What about Mercenaries? I read a mixed review about it, saying that Giacchino's themes are good but the underscore by Tilton isn't as good. Is it worth checking out?

Who said that?

Tilton's contribution is incredible. Giacchino wrote the main theme and one other sub-theme but the rest is gold. Tilton is an incredibly talented composer. Check it out immediately

Here are some samples
    http://lalalandrecords.com/Mercenaries.html

As for digital downloads... a lot of video game scores these are only being released via digital download.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    This review gave Mercenaries a so-so rating. But since you highly recommend it (and La La Land has it for $5!), I ordered a copy. Here's hoping it'll be as good as you say it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    This review gave Mercenaries a so-so rating. But since you highly recommend it (and La La Land has it for $5!), I ordered a copy. Here's hoping it'll be as good as you say it is.

Dood... it rocks!

punk

-Erik-

PS - Watch my main theme music video on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkwXIPGA8H8
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TOTALLY AGREE on Mercenaries: go listen to it now! punk

Which reminds me....

BLACK ! (Tilton / Giacchino) punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2007
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    There's a lot of Lennertz that's great - his scores to Gun, From Russia With Love and MOH: Rising Sun are excellent.

Also reccomended - Evil Genius by James Hannigan - just google for it! wink
  1. Just about any of the Final Fantasy scores by Nobuo Uematsu are great. If you don't like the official soundtracks, there's always the piano collections or orchestrated cd's available.

Of course I'm more a classc video game score type of person so I look for original and techno versions of Mega Man tunes and original or orchestral suites for any of Koji Kondos early works.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night wasn't too bad. Top Gear, Marble Madness, Contra, Double Dragon and Ninja Gaiden tunes always get stuck in my head.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    The Dig by Michael Land: A wagnerian and synthetic score creating a great another world sense.
    the Video Game is a masterpiece!
  2. Nautilus wrote
    The Dig by Michael Land: A wagnerian and synthetic score creating a great another world sense.

NOT!

This is one score that I just can't see what all the fuss is about! A lot of people have great things to say about it - so I must be wrong!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Outcast, mostly all medal of honor scores, Final Fantasy 8, Primal (haven't heard Lair yet) and many others, my old site still has all the reviews

But if you want true epic film music, Outcast, Lineage II, Medal of Honor and Primal are the biggest bombastic ones, I guess Lair is that too so I heard wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    Did anyone listen to he Toy Story 2: Action Game music? That's a really good but sadly underrated soundtrack!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007 edited
    I like to listen to the Warcraft III / World of Warcraft Scores, and recently I discovered the Guild Wars stuff (including the directsong-downloads), which is nothing but brilliant synth writing.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    *reads who mixed the score for Mercenaries*

Uh-oh. Erik, should I be worried about the score mixing for this album?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nautilus wrote

NOT!

This is one score that I just can't see what all the fuss is about! A lot of people have great things to say about it - so I must be wrong!!

NOT! NOT!

Whenever I hear that music I'm drifting away into some otherworldly place, I adore the mood created by the themes, especially the vocal tracks give me goosebumps. But yeah, you must love the synthesized direction Michael Land or the score will not click with you, I assume it's something you either hate or love.

Instead of repeating what everybody said I will give my recommendation to Final Fantasy VIII: Fithos Lucos Wecos Vinosec. It should be heard by everyone interested in orchestral game music, even the cheesy pop song is good in a over the top sort of way... One of the first orchestral game albums and filled with exciting and beautiful compositions.

Shenmue Orchestra version holds a few nods to famous film music, but is also incredibly beautiful at times. One track notably is a direct tribute to Goldsmith's First Knight: you'll know exactly which track I mean. It hits you right between the eyes!!

Everquest II by Laura Karpman is another great example of sweeping orchestral themes in the tradition of fantasy films. Check it out, it might surprise you!

Headhunter by Richard Jacques is a cool and uniquely sounding album which holds it own, with enough bold themes and interesting mixtures of synth and orchestral writing.

These are only some of the good to excellent video games scores, but there are many more.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nautilus wrote

NOT!

Shenmue Orchestra version holds a few nods to famous film music, but is also incredibly beautiful at times. One track notably is a direct tribute to Goldsmith's First Knight: you'll know exactly which track I mean. It hits you right between the eyes!!

Everquest II by Laura Karpman is another great example of sweeping orchestral themes in the tradition of fantasy films. Check it out, it might surprise you!

Headhunter by Richard Jacques is a cool and uniquely sounding album which holds it own, with enough bold themes and interesting mixtures of synth and orchestral writing.

These are only some of the good to excellent video games scores, but there are many more.

Definitely. some worthy scores here. Shenmue is a wonderful listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    I phased out of computer games in the mid 90's, but anything Lucasarts is brilliant - and yes, that includes the previously-mentioned THE DIG. Let me add to the chorus of salutations there!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    Kameo Elements of Power has an amazing score that could easily be mistaken for a film score. Plus, the Rareware website offers a bunch of bonus tracks as free downloads which adds a lot more content.

Highly recommended.
  5. Panthera wrote
    Kameo Elements of Power has an amazing score that could easily be mistaken for a film score. Plus, the Rareware website offers a bunch of bonus tracks as free downloads which adds a lot more content.

Highly recommended.

Cheers Panthera for the heads-up on the bonus cues for Kameo. An additional 30 minutes from Steve Burke is great news.

If anyone knows of other examples of additional tracks (that add to CD releases) that are available at game sites then share the news...
  6. Panthera wrote

Highly recommended.

I didn't find it that special really, my bro let me hear it once, but haven't heard it since. Maybe I was just not in the mood... I'll be playing the game soon, so I'll have a chance to hear it again.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Definitely. some worthy scores here. Shenmue is a wonderful listen.

Agree. There´s an specially awesome track called "Waves in Morning Haze". Simply beautiful.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you