• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BUYSOUNDTRAX RECORDS RE-VISITS ENNIO MORRICONE’S THE THING
    Longtime John Carpenter Collaborator Alan Howarth Re-Creates Music For
    The Thing—Music From The Motion Picture

(October 5, 2011) – BuySoundtrax Records is proud to announce the release of The Thing-Music From The Motion Picture a recreation of the Ennio Morricone-penned score as heard on the original out-of-print soundtrack album. Alan Howarth, John Carpenter’s longtime collaborator, provides a faithful restoration of the music as it was originally heard on the out-of-print soundtrack. The Thing-Music From The Motion Picture, featuring extensive liner notes by Randall D. Larson, will be released digitally with a limited edition CD (1500 units) be available from www.buysoundtrax.com on Wednesday, October 5, 2011.

The Thing marks the first time that John Carpenter hired an outside composer to score one of his films. He chose Ennio Morricone, the legendary Italian composer known for his scores for Westerns to write the music. “We couldn’t speak the same language, but he saw a cut of the film and he got some ideas from that, and then I told him about keeping the score to a minimum in terms of the amount of notes and very few key changes,” said Carpenter in a 2000 interview.

Randall Larson describes:
    Morricone actually wrote a great deal of music for The Thing, but only a portion of it was used in the film. “I gave John much more music than he actually needed, and we then came to an agreement to choose one piece in particular to put in the film,” he said. Carpenter focused on placing Morricone’s throbbing Thing motif and the sustained string pattern of isolation throughout the film as the primary motives.

“There are two different music styles in Morricone’s score,” Alan Howarth explained. “The first is the more traditional orchestral material that Morricone did on his first pass. After hearing that score, Carpenter actually played the Escape From New York music for Morricone and asked ‘can you give me anything like this?’ So he went back in the studio without the orchestra and created this synthesizer music. That’s when Morricone came up with this very memorable theme with that electronic pulse. It’s almost like Morricone doing John Carpenter.”

From scores to special sound effects, from Halloween stalkers to Star Trek, Alan Howarth’s electric imagination has contributed to some of the biggest genre films of the ‘80s. Alternately wearing the hats of both composer and sound effectsman, Howarth has collaborated with John Carpenter on the music for some of his most significant films from Escape from New York through They Live; he’s provided sound design and effects for Poltergeist, Raiders of the Lost Ark, all the Star Trek movies, The Hunt for Red October, Coppola’s Dracula, Total Recall, and Stargate, among others. As a composer, he’s scored all or part of all the Halloween sequels, composed music for Retribution, The Dentist, and others.

Because of Howarth’s close working relationship with John Carpenter, it seems natural that he should be involved with the re-recording of the classic soundtrack. Though technology has advanced significantly in 30 years, Howarth tried to recreate the sounds of the original recording. The tracks have also been re-sequenced to match the order of the film.

“I’ve switched it around and put the music in order from the opening title and the spaceship fly-by, going into the main Thing Theme and the desolation motif, and I’ve lined them up to the best of my ability in the way they were in the movie,” said Howarth. “The orchestral cues I’ve done with Larry Hopkins using Digital Orchestra Tools to recreate them, and in some ways the performances are better in our version than they were in the original. It’s like an upgrade.”

The Thing-Music From the Motion Picture will be available digitally, in stores, and directly from Buy Soundtrax on October 5, 2011. The first 100 people to order the set at www.buysoundtrax.com will receive a copy autographed by Alan Howarth.

###

www.buysoundtrax.com

For more information contact: cinemediapromo@yahoo.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011
    Interesting read, and interesting release.

The main theme doesn't sound quite right to me, but I do like the version of "Bestiality".

Not one of my favourite scores, but it does seem to have a huge fan following. Hope it will sell well.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    Not one of my favourite scores, but it does seem to have a huge fan following. Hope it will sell well.

yeah

It's such an elegant issue I was tempted to pick it up...but then listening to the clips I realised I simply really don't like the actual score very much (however wonders it works in the film).

So I won't, but I certainly hope BSX does well on it.
    BSX is getting some great issues together these last few months. Enjoying their output a lot!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. I just love this score. For me it does have some really high highs and some really low lows.

Tracks such as "Humanity" and "Solitude" contain some of Morricone's finest work - and, I would say, some of the most effective music in film scoring. His string writing in "Solitude" is spot on for making me feel alone, bleak, cold. It is literally spine tingling!

Listening to the clips and hearing Carpenter's track "To Mac's Shack" takes me straight back to the film - and I haven't heard that music since I last saw the film several years ago. I just love that whole sound Carpenter had at that time that is captured in this track (there's a bit of it too in Halloween III: Season of The Witch). It will be good to hear the whole track.

It's not all plain sailing though. What Howarth and Larry Hopkins has done in "Eternity" sounds quite awful: sounds like it was done on one of those small Casio keyboards. I will be sticking to the OST for that track!

I would pick up the original tracks of this in a heartbeat and if they ever do appear then this re-recording will do nicely until then.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I absolutely can't stand Morricone when he's in dissonant mode, and that goes for this as well. I wouldn't take this if you threw it after me.

That being said, it does what it's supposed to do in the film itself and is very effective there. Even has a John Carpenter vibe on occasion.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011
    Thor wrote
    I absolutely can't stand Morricone when he's in dissonant mode, and that goes for this as well. I wouldn't take this if you threw it after me.

That being said, it does what it's supposed to do in the film itself and is very effective there. Even has a John Carpenter vibe on occasion.

I'm not sure the music for The thing can be considered dissonant. It's melodic, just very slow and bleak. I doubt this score would have so many fans if it truly was Morricone's dissonance, which there are better examples of in his giallo scores.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011
    Well, maybe it's not all dissonant (even though there's plenty of it! But then that would be expected in a sci-fi/horror score), but it sure as hell ain't very melodic overall!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

I'm not sure the music for The thing can be considered dissonant. It's melodic, just very slow and bleak. I doubt this score would have so many fans if it truly was Morricone's dissonance, which there are better examples of in his giallo scores.

Peter smile

I agree, with Morricone there's dissonant and there's dissonant. For me, THE THING is brilliant, I love every moment of that album but I fully understand why it isn't to everyones taste.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Well, maybe it's not all dissonant (even though there's plenty of it! But then that would be expected in a sci-fi/horror score), but it sure as hell ain't very melodic overall!

Perhaps melodic isn't the right word. Is harmonious the term I should have used? Much of the score consists of minor motifs being repeated again and again, creating a rather foreboding and unsettling atmosphere, though other parts are indeed dissonant. I think much of it is treading the line between dissonance and harmony, making it appealing yet disturbing at the same time.

In any case, it's MUCH easier to listen to than stuff like this, which is just outright dissonant mayhem.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2011
    The score conveys that solitude, isolation and female deprivation mode of the movie, it's a very compelling listen and I love both the Morricone and Carpenter/Howarth contributions.

Perhaps the prequel will have a more melodic score with the Norwegians and all biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011
    francis wrote
    The score conveys that solitude, isolation and female deprivation mode of the movie, it's a very compelling listen and I love both the Morricone and Carpenter/Howarth contributions.

Perhaps the prequel will have a more melodic score with the Norwegians and all biggrin

Yeah, as in lots of folk music played on the Hardanger fiddle! smile

There is actually a fun piece of Norwegian source music in the film (also featured in the trailer), where some of the guys sing the Eurovision Song Contest song turkey (from the 80's) called SAMI EDNAN. That cracked me up when I saw it, but is most likely lost on most non-Norwegians.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011
    Martijn wrote

I don't think you can call it dissonant. There is a melody.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011
    It would be interesting at least to me to hear a symphony orchestra perform this.
  3. I am listening to this re-recording now and the first thing I went to was the John Carpenter-composed tracks. Although I can't exactly remember how they sound in the film itself I find that these here certainly evoke what I remember of his music. It's that great ambient electronic work that Carpenter was doing around this time - and maybe this aspect of the score is the easiest to recreate? The music for the alien ship fly-by at the beginning of the film is a great intro into the score: sets up the rest really well. Tracks like "Fuchs" and "To Mac's Shack" are other highlights - those sustained synth notes with the low register rumbles are so evocative of the score (and are partly why I like Halloween III so much as they feature in that score too).

After this success I then went on to some of my favourite OST tracks to see how they stood up. Both "Despair" and "Humanity" with their emphasis on string writing stand up quite well - especially with them being "front-and-centre" in terms of their solo playing (without much else of the orchestra). "Despair" especially sounds excellent, and if Howarth hasn't added anything then this recording brings out some subtle playing that I don't remember from the OST. My only negative comment is that in "Humanity" the brass does sound synth-generated. "Solitude" sounds really faithful too, and "Wait" and "Bestiality" have also been done well.

"Sterilization" and "Eternity" though are the main letdown of the album. The sources for the synths here sound quite different from the OST. But I am not too bothered about this as these tracks are not amongst my favourites from this score.

Howarth has re-arranged the music into a sort of chronological order - which I like. So, after the "Main Title" there's a good approximation of the music that we hear first in the film proper - underscoring the dog running across the snow ("Main Theme - Desolation"). This repeating bass rhythm is repeated (and embellished) as an end credit track. One thing I like with the "Main Theme - Desolation" track is that if features only the pulsing guitar passage. If I remember right, on the OST this music is joined with another piece to make up the second half of the "Humanity (Part 2)" track. Here, on the re-recording, this second half piece is separated out to give the next track "Humanity 2". This is good for me because I usually edit this second half of the original track out, just leaving the pulsing beat part.

All in all, I'd say that this was a successful project and it is well worth getting. I can't wait now to get my copy in the post.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011
    I'm listening to the newer version of this right now and this is another one that will take some serious listening to get comfortable with it. As I remember the movie was a huge hit when it first came out. How is the second remake of it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011
    No one has seen the remake of the remake
  4. sdtom wrote
    No one has seen the remake of the remake

It is only on general release in these countries at the moment, Tom:

France, Australia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Portugal, Singapore, Thailand, Canada, India, Norway, Turkey, USA.

It doesn't even open here in the UK until the beginning of December according to imdb.com.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Just curious about it
  5. And I am certainly curious about it too.

I have read reports that it's not a particularly good film. The guy over at AICN.com talks about the first 40 minutes being a prequel and then after that it's just a slasher style remake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One to avoid I'm sure
  6. From the trailer I saw it looked quite good. But then there is an art to making good trailers isn't there?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I never thought for one minute that this film could be anywhere near as good as Carpenter's film, it'll probably start off with a good premise and then get ruined by a CGI crapfest.

Bring back Rob Bottin.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. I didn't imagine it would be as good either, but something that would be worthy of inclusion with the others would have been nice. By all accounts, it is a CGI-dominated picture (and these CGI effects are not that good).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I didn't imagine it would be as good either, but something that would be worthy of inclusion with the others would have been nice. By all accounts, it is a CGI-dominated picture (and these CGI effects are not that good).

I was one of a tiny handful of people who saw the film on it's release in 1982, it was considered a failure and tanked at the cinema becoming the massive hit it became due to the rapidly growing VCR market, I think it only stayed at the cinema for one week during which time I took a different friend to see it because I was so blown away by it, I think it was a word-of-mouth reputation that helped it become the massive cult hit it eventually became.

It has it's faults but it's still a darn great film and John Carpenter rarely, if at all, reached these heights again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    I was one of a tiny handful of people who saw the film on it's release in 1982, it was considered a failure and tanked at the cinema becoming the massive hit it became due to the rapidly growing VCR market, I think it only stayed at the cinema for one week during which time I took a different friend to see it because I was so blown away by it, I think it was a word-of-mouth reputation that helped it become the massive cult hit it eventually became.

Interesting. Didn't know it tanked at the cinema.

Timmer wroteIt has it's faults but it's still a darn great film and John Carpenter rarely, if at all, reached these heights again.

What faults? I think it's the perfect horror film. In my top5 of all-time fave films. The effects might look dated to some, but I think they look helluva lot more realistic and creepy than the CGI effects of today.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I sure enjoyed the short novel.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Who goes there?
    Excellent short story, indeed. Very creepy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Interesting. Didn't know it tanked at the cinema.

Timmer wroteIt has it's faults but it's still a darn great film and John Carpenter rarely, if at all, reached these heights again.

What faults? I think it's the perfect horror film. In my top5 of all-time fave films. The effects might look dated to some, but I think they look helluva lot more realistic and creepy than the CGI effects of today.

Peter smile

The faults are to do with the odd iffy effect ( look closely at the arms bitten off by the opening chest scene ), but like I said, bring back the likes of Rob Bottin, Dick Smith, et el, CGI should be an extra tool in the film makers armoury, not the end all and be all.

Anyway, like I said, GREAT film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This is certainly not a score for everyone. It is one that I won't likely return to for awhile. I've spent roughly 8 hours listening to it today and that is enough.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/t … d-howarth/

a review