• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. THE MATRIX (DELUXE EDITION) - DON DAVIS

Aaahhh, what an impressive selection of not your run-of-the-mill music for one hell of a sci-fi actioner. The cues at the end are bloody awesome!!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Timmer, I heard a bit of the main theme to War Horse.

I'll tell you this, there WILL be some Vaughan Williams twist on Seven Years of Tibet (the radio broadcast that will be tomorrow night, I am thinking of staying up to hear it).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Just listening to the trailer for WAR HORSE made me want to play some JW...

NP : SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET - John Williams

cool

Don't tell me you wouldn't crave for a sequel score to that gem too, right?

Yes it is a great score but how would there be a sequel?

You know, for War Horse, a similar sound wouldn't be unwelcome.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Ivanhoe!
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1271

Rozsa Conducts His Great Film Music (on LP only)
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=906

Yes, my plugs are shameless but this is why my radio show exists!

Here's another one... JULIUS CAESAR
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7 … egory=2004

-Erik-

Quoting this so I don't forget about it, thanks dooood! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Real Steel - Danny Elfman

I was surprised to read that Filmtracks gave this a 5 star rating! shocked

I'm surprised anyone would listen to it more than once. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Golden Child - John Barry

It's (more than) a bit too long on the album but I like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011 edited
    Southall wrote

You and me both mate. To know that I bought a copy and Thomas got a copy for free (for review) that he doesn't want, I still think it's worth my money.

L.A. NOIRE - ANDREW HALE & SIMON HALE

Tim, have you heard this score to the detective noir videogame? I'm thinking it'll be right up your alley: jazz-fueled orchestral writing with great themes and more than one nod to the masters who have written similarly inspired scores. Fans of Barry should eat this for breakfast.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks for the tip Gilles, I've made a note of this in my 'to be checked out' notebook. cool

NP'S : LOADS OF STUFF - Multiple Composers

I'm just pulling out bits n' bobs from my shelf and playing favourite tracks, just now I played Ben's Death and The TIE Fighter Attack from STAR WARS and I played it fook LOUD! My gods what a piece it is, one of the most exciting action tracks EVER, nobody can write stuff like this anymore and that includes Johnny Williams. slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

It is but I love it! track 17 is my favourite that melodic French horns statement is fucking glorious and I wish it had been repeated, yet it doesn't appear anywehere else.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    Thanks for the tip Gilles, I've made a note of this in my 'to be checked out' notebook. cool

NP'S : LOADS OF STUFF - Multiple Composers

I'm just pulling out bits n' bobs from my shelf and playing favourite tracks, just now I played Ben's Death and The TIE Fighter Attack from STAR WARS and I played it fook LOUD! My gods what a piece it is, one of the most exciting action tracks EVER, nobody can write stuff like this anymore and that includes Johnny Williams. slant

Great and awesome cue but my favourite moment of Star Wars action music is definitely The Battle of Hoth, all 15 minutes of it. Not even 'Desert Chase' from Raiders beats it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

It is but I love it! track 17 is my favourite that melodic French horns statement is fucking glorious and I wish it had been repeated, yet it doesn't appear anywehere else.

For anyone who'd like to hear what I'm on about...

THE MOUNTAIN TREK

Check it out at the 4 minute mark, a shame someone has tried to match it to the film but just check out that scenery shocked I've seen that exact same scene from a boat in that very same lake in Pokhara. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    DAFT PUNK - tron: legacy

One of the classic scores of our times.

Not yet.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote

Great and awesome cue but my favourite moment of Star Wars action music is definitely The Battle of Hoth, all 15 minutes of it. Not even 'Desert Chase' from Raiders beats it.

I refuse to take the bait.

:whip:

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

It's not terrible by any means but I have a very hard time placing this on any best of list. It's not even a great "sports" score.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I refuse to take the bait.

:whip:

-Erik-

I will! Gilles is WRONG.

FACT!!!!

( I do of course agree that BATTLE OF HOTH is an awesome track though )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Playing selected tracks from John Williams SUPERMAN, superhero scores do not come better than this.
  6. Michael Giacchino - Medal of Honor: Airborne

One of my all-time favourite game scores even if, granted, I haven't heard many.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

It's not terrible by any means but I have a very hard time placing this on any best of list. It's not even a great "sports" score.

-Erik-

I am currently disregarding my own advice and listening to it for a second time. I'm so surprised Elfman has written a score like this at this stage of his career, when he presumably can just pick and choose to do whatever he wants. This could be by any generic B-list composer to be honest - you're right, it's not terrible, but nothing about it is particularly remarkable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer, I heard a bit of the main theme to War Horse.

I'll tell you this, there WILL be some Vaughan Williams twist on Seven Years of Tibet (the radio broadcast that will be tomorrow night, I am thinking of staying up to hear it).

I look forward to hearing it. Williams channeling RVW is always a great pleasure, still, we'll have to wait and hear eh? smile

p.s. I understand what you were trying to say about a "sequel" to Seven Years In Tibet now Gilles smile
  7. Just listened to TINTIN - John Williams (on cinematicsound.net - thanks, Erik!)

It's so delightfully Williamsy! Good to hear something new from him. I didn't get to listen to it properly (it was playing in the background while the family ate breakfast), but as far as I can tell I will enjoy this score more than a little.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Awesome! Thanks for listening!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Puss in Boots - H Jackman

Well, this is entertaining!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    'tIs, is it not?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Just listening to the trailer for WAR HORSE made me want to play some JW...

NP : SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET - John Williams

cool

Don't tell me you wouldn't crave for a sequel score to that gem too, right?

Yes it is a great score but how would there be a sequel?

The closest thing you'll find is his Elegy for Cello and Orchestra which expands on one of the secondary themes from this score.
  8. Maciek Dobrowolski - Clockwise

I really love this work and I always believed in Maciek and this is his very best work. I'm proud to have worked on this score and to call Maciek my friend.
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    DAFT PUNK - tron: legacy

One of the classic scores of our times.

The most bad-ass end credits piece I've heard in ages.
  10. "Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant", Attack of the Clones - John Williams

Awesome piece. Apparently there was a big scandal when Williams used an electric guitar with this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Presence - Conrad Pope

Very strong.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A BEAUTIFUL MIND - James Horner

A great score, it's been some time since I've played this.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Southall wrote
    Puss in Boots - H Jackman

Well, this is entertaining!

Just saw an advanced screening of the film. The music definitely shines throughout.