• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011 edited
    Is that right? I'm far too much of a Palestine to know if that's right.

Anyway, continued from t'other thread:

Steven wrote
    Captain America: Another Two Hour Trailer for The Avengers Alan Silvestri

Definitely a generic score for the most part. 'Training the Supersoldier' is a hint to something far better, unfortunately the rest doesn't really live up to that track, save for the end march theme in all its generic-but-old fashioned awesomeness. The album could also do with a bit of a trim.

But, dammit, I like it! The theme pops up just enough times during the score to keep my interest, and I've always liked Silvestri's everything-and-the-kitchen-sink style of action scoring. It has its moments, for sure.
  1. Apparently 41 is XLI.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011
    't Is.
    If you're lazy XXXXI is acceptable as well....but not to proper Ancient Romans!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not to worry. One more thread, and we'll have all the answers to problems like this!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    popcorn
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    popcorn
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    uhm
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Darn! Missed it. rolleyes
  2. as long as you keep yourself busy Tim smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hey Thor wave

I really enjoyed the BOINGO version of I AM THE WALRUS, possibly the best I've heard outside of The Beatles unbeatable original.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojchiech Kilar

This is the re-recording on Marco Polo, very good it is too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Here's a summary of the events that transpired in the previous thread.

Disclaimer: I wrote to Warner Bros. Studios myself to get written permission to share this video on a public forum. Fear not people!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Hey Thor wave

I really enjoyed the BOINGO version of I AM THE WALRUS, possibly the best I've heard outside of The Beatles unbeatable original.

Glad you caught that inbetween the other issue. Love the brass arrangement as well as the "english garden" segment of the song.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Here's a summary of the events that transpired in the previous thread.

Disclaimer: I wrote to Warner Bros. Studios myself to get written permission to share this video on a public forum. Fear not people!

biggrin

Good catch up, I could hear it and I figured it must have been a train wreck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sleeping With the Enemy - Goldsmith

Run-of-the-mill Goldsmith thriller score with a very beautiful main theme. Not really sure this one needed expanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2011
    Forever Young - Goldsmith

This, on the other hand, is far from run-of-the-mill. Though nobody else ever mentions it, so perhaps I'm alone. Love it, classic action-packed adventure score with a couple of wonderful themes. Magical stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Damn! I'm away for one day and when I return I find all hell has broken loose! rolleyes Anyways!
    NP: The Corpse Bride ~ Danny Elfman
    I really,really like it! The music is amazing,multileveled and Victor's piano piece is one of my favourites while playing the piano myself. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2011 edited
    Stavroula wrote
    Damn! I'm away for one day and when I return I find all hell has broken loose! rolleyes Anyways!
    NP: The Corpse Bride ~ Danny Elfman
    I really,really like it! The music is amazing,multileveled and Victor's piano piece is one of my favourites while playing the piano myself. smile

Agreed! I only wish that piece was longer and didn't cut off so abruptly as it does in the movie. In other words, I wish Elfman had expanded upon it and made it one long piano piece as a bonus track on the soundtrack or something (or just replaced the one that's in it that even has dialogue)!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My first listen to the new soundtrack A Dangerous Method/Shore. It features the Wagner Siegfried Idyll performed by Lang Lang. Overall this has a very German sound to it, rather heavy. Shore seems to mimic Wagner.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Spellbinder - Basil Poledouris

In the run-up to Halloween I am playing my latest purchase of his....but I'm not enjoying it at all. sad
    Aside from a moderately interesting main theme with some ominous organ playing, this is a pretty generic electronic score without much thematic consistency or direction (to put it mildly).
    I don't think I'll revisit this one again.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    My first listen to the new soundtrack A Dangerous Method/Shore. It features the Wagner Siegfried Idyll performed by Lang Lang. Overall this has a very German sound to it, rather heavy. Shore seems to mimic Wagner.
    Tom smile

Everyone working in film music seems to mimic Wagner from time to time wink Did you like it Tom? Because his recent outcome, and i mean during the last couple of years, has been rather uninteresting, to say the least.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN

I can't get over the fact that I'm enjoying this more and more. While it's hard to memorize anything except maybe for a some action snippets and a few short motifs, there's just an energy to this score that is very infectious. I find it interesting John can still write like this, because it is still very much based on themes (more like motifs in Tintin's case). There's just enough comedy and filler music in between the energetic cues to not make it too much in either department. A very well sequenced album that entertains me throughout. Though I'm going to skip 'Presenting Bianca Castafiore' from now on, I never liked opera anyway.

'Sir Francis and the Unicorn', 'Red Rackham's Curse and the Treasure' and 'The Pursuit of the Falcon' are classic Williams, I love these cues. punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Southall wrote

This, on the other hand, is far from run-of-the-mill. Though nobody else ever mentions it, so perhaps I'm alone. Love it, classic action-packed adventure score with a couple of wonderful themes. Magical stuff.

I have just received this, going to listen to it soon, though I already know the short release. Goldsmith magic indeed. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2011 edited
    NP: The Least Worst Of Michael Perilstein

Apparently mr. Perilstein has been rather proficient in scoring whole globs of direct-to-video movies and z-grade horror and scifi shlockers. So when I found this CD, filled with classics like "Master Race From Mars", I thought it'd be a good purchase. For $1.99.

And you know what?
    It's really good fun!
    Yes, it's all electronic and synthesizer work, and some of it is properly cheesy and some of it is properly sleazy....but it's so evidently made with fun and love, and there is such an infectious quirky vibe pervading it all, AND -very importantly- Perilstein has such a grasp on interesting melody, that this is a joy to listen to.

Not for everyone, to be sure. And certainly you have to be in the right frame of mid for it.
    But this is turning out to be one unexpected (and very welcome) fine addition!

Oh, the booklet is brilliant as well, containing -for no apparent reason- Madame Poo-Poo's 13 Psych(ot)ic Predictions For The Future ( "11. By the end of the next century, there will be the first inanimate president of the United States, which will become the world's most famous chair"), a four page comic extolling the composer's secret life as a super hero, and a bit about the composer's fan club ("Interested in joining the Michael Perilstein fan club? If this insipid idea inanely invites itself into your head, try the following apparent and alluring antidotes: laugh quietly to yourself; laugh quietly to someone else; laugh loudly out loud and if anyone looks at you as if you shouldn't be laughing at all, look back and laugh louder.")

I like this guy. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom smile

Everyone working in film music seems to mimic Wagner from time to time wink Did you like it Tom? Because his recent outcome, and i mean during the last couple of years, has been rather uninteresting, to say the least.

Edit: I too have heard it now: Howard shore - a dangerous method

Forget what he has been doing in the sideways during the last couple of years, I..e snoozefests. No it is not the shore of lord of the rings, rather the shore of the yards. Yes it's relaxed, completely lacking tension or anything grand. But if you like solemn, calm and beautiful classical sounding piano scores, this is for you. Generally it sounds like coming from a different time than ours and I can only fall for something like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    Sleeping With the Enemy - Goldsmith

Run-of-the-mill Goldsmith thriller score with a very beautiful main theme. Not really sure this one needed expanding.

Yeah. I wouldn't mind a full album filled with variations on that theme either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ennio Morricone - the thing, 2011 re-recording / re-release.

Oh God, make it stop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

I have just received this, going to listen to it soon, though I already know the short release. Goldsmith magic indeed. smile

It's surprising how unexpanded this actually is. If you take out all the alternate versions (does anyone ever listen to alternate versions more than once?) it's about 50 minutes. Not sure how long the previous release was, but it can't have been too much shorter, can it?

Anyway, I'm listening to it again now. It's terrific.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ennio Morricone - the thing, 2011 re-recording / re-release.

Oh God, make it stop.

Palestine! ( as Steven would say )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    NP: The Least Worst Of Michael Perilstein

Apparently mr. Perilstein has been rather proficient in scoring whole globs of direct-to-video movies and z-grade horror and scifi shlockers. So when I found this CD, filled with classics like "Master Race From Mars", I thought it'd be a good purchase. For $1.99.

And you know what?
    It's really good fun!
    Yes, it's all electronic and synthesizer work, and some of it is properly cheesy and some of it is properly sleazy....but it's so evidently made with fun and love, and there is such an infectious quirky vibe pervading it all, AND -very importantly- Perilstein has such a grasp on interesting melody, that this is a joy to listen to.

Not for everyone, to be sure. And certainly you have to be in the right frame of mid for it.
    But this is turning out to be one unexpected (and very welcome) fine addition!

Oh, the booklet is brilliant as well, containing -for no apparent reason- Madame Poo-Poo's 13 Psych(ot)ic Predictions For The Future ( "11. By the end of the next century, there will be the first inanimate president of the United States, which will become the world's most famous chair"), a four page comic extolling the composer's secret life as a super hero, and a bit about the composer's fan club ("Interested in joining the Michael Perilstein fan club? If this insipid idea inanely invites itself into your head, try the following apparent and alluring antidotes: laugh quietly to yourself; laugh quietly to someone else; laugh loudly out loud and if anyone looks at you as if you shouldn't be laughing at all, look back and laugh louder.")

I like this guy. smile

dizzy shocked dizzy