• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012
    The moons and the planets have aligned. It's that time of the year. It's time for...

Independence Day David Arnold

In my top ten. For me, it just doesn't get better.
  1. Bregt wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    It just rubs me the wrong way... but maybe that was the intention.

I think it was the intention. I felt very uncomfortable watching that scene for the first time.

As did I. It's an odd way to do such a scene, goading you to view it as triumphant warfare. What would be interesting is finding out if any audiences have really cheered it on because of the music -- taking the bait, so to speak. (Although I'm not sure the rest of the film would persuade them to dispense with their views.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. NP: Game of thrones (ramin ramin ramin)

Ok, so 'North of the Wall' was temped with the least impressive music from James Newton Howard's VILLAGE score, the music representing the mysterious creatures that live in the forest that surrounds the village. What an imaginative bit of temp scoring there.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

No words are needed... just watch and listen... That scene right there is one of my most cherished cinema moments of all time!

:goosebumps&tears:

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012 edited
    Well, it's nice, with some great wrtiting by Powell.
    But I never really got into the hype. No goosebumps at all.
    ...although I have to say that that live performance by several pipes 'n' drum bands at the Edinburgh (?) Tattoo that Bregje posted some time back (or was that on Facebook?) that really took my breath away!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012 edited
    For me, the Test Drive scene is perfect blend of music and visuals. The animation is marvelous and Powell OWNS that scene especially from the free fall to the point when Toothless' wings open up to catch the air as he and Hiccup skim the evergreens with Powell's heroic theme guiding them along on a breakneck speed flight through the cliffs of Berk.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE FINAL CONFLICT (Jerry Goldsmith)

Because it was....there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    For me, the Test Drive scene is perfect blend of music and visuals. The animation is marvelous and Powell OWNS that scene especially from the free fall to the point when Toothless' wings open up to catch the air as he and Hiccup skim the evergreens with Powell's heroic theme guiding them along on a breakneck speed flight through the cliffs of Berk.

-Erik-

I cannot agree for these are facts. Facts simply are, whether we agree with them or not.

By the way, I agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It's a fantastic scene. What a great score! punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Inception - Hans and co

It's been a while since I listened to this, so it's great to revisit it. One of his best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote

No words are needed... just watch and listen... That scene right there is one of my most cherished cinema moments of all time!

-Erik-

Extraordinary scene and music! This is why Powell's How to train your dragon is in my top5 of favourite scores evah.

Another scene that always gets to me is the romantic flight scene, starting at 2:52 in this vid-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWsNWCq0JRI

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Medicine Man - Jerry Goldsmith

I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012
    plindboe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Extraordinary scene and music! This is why Powell's How to train your dragon is in my top5 of favourite scores evah.

Another scene that always gets to me is the romantic flight scene, starting at 2:52 in this vid-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWsNWCq0JRI

Peter punk

After I saw the movie with the kids, Quinn and I watched the HD clips on YouTube again and again. Especially Test Drive and Forbidden Friendship. It's goosebump & tear - stuff indeed.

If Quinn will ever seriously get into film music then How To Train Your Dragon was her first! After seeing the movie she was humming the themes for days!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Atlantis - The Lost Empire - James Newton Howard

Great action/adventure/fantasy score!! This is not my favorite film music genre but this score is amazing. The way JNH use the choir is powerful and majestic. I listen The Crystal Chamber or Just Do It and I have goosebumps. And I love when a score end with a big statement of the theme like in Atlantis. (JNH also did that in Vertical Limit).

* * * * * 5 stars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hoosiers - Jerry Goldsmith

You can't beat a bit of cheese on a Friday night.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote

I can't stop reading this line literally, as if you're telling us not to punch dairy products.

Peter shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, not on a Friday at least. Have SOME decency, man.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Lorax (Powell)

This is out on itunes. Won't be out on CD before the 6th, I believe.

I've been looking forward to this one, as I love Powell's animation scores, but am a bit disappointed. The tracks Valley exodus and Funeral for a tree are both fantastic. The rest of the score doesn't really do anything for me yet.

Anyway, a guy on Filmtracks thought it was fantastic and compared it to How to train your dragon, so don't be too alarmed by my disappointment.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: I Have Never Forgotten You: The Life And Legacy Of Simon Wiesenthal - Lee Holdridge

shocked
    My word. This is quite a beautiful score.
    Obviously strongly drenched in melancholy and Jewish strains, this is quite the gorgeous score: stirring, melodic and very emotional. No, it's not Schindler's List (but then that's pretty much the atom bomb of emotional pressure in the genre), but it's certainly heartfelt.

In fact, it's so stirring and dramatic in places, it's hard to keep in mind this is music for a documentary!

Sadly the CD is out of print now, but if you can find it, it's well worth picking up!
  3. Southall wrote
    Hoosiers - Jerry Goldsmith

Are you saying your cheese is too small to beat?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2012
    NP : YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE - John Barry

Excellence!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE WIND AND THE LION - Jerry Goldsmith

Excellence!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : GHOST STORY - Philippe Sarde

Excellence!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    Well, not on a Friday at least. Have SOME decency, man.

Of course you're right, my brother. For doth it not say in the Book of Dairy: "Thou shalt not smite a milk-based product at the end of thy working week".

Peter beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Fair game (John Powell)

Yep, not liking it. This guy does way too few animation scores.

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Timmer wrote
    KRULL

Ohhhhh yesssssss!!!!!!!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. NP: The Lorax - John Powell

I'm surprised on how different this sounds from Horton Hears A Who. Sure, it has some bits representing the wackiness of Dr. Seuss's characters, and Powell uses again the harpischord and saxophone represent The Lorax (previously he used it to represent the Whos). But it's very charming and energetic.

The choral bits (Especially the quirky ones in Truffula Valley Fantasy) are wonderful. The action cues sounds very strong and with typical Powell style (Especially with the Mr. And Mrs. Smith-esque Thneedville Chase - again Powell uses the electric guitar to enhance the brass section). And the emotional side of Powell's music (which is becoming much more predominant in his scores) is showed again in the beautiful theme played in Valley Exodus and Funeral For A Tree.

Though the tracklist is very short (46 minutes), I'm glad that it doesn't have 50 cues with several of them, being a single track divided in two.
  5. Stavroula wrote
    Timmer wrote
    KRULL

Ohhhhh yesssssss!!!!!!!

It's a typo, he meant KULL. tongue

It was a mixturee day of listening, with my sutie from "Innerspace", score from "Stargate: The Ark of Truth" (one of Joel M.I.A. Goldsmith's best), and "Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend" (such a combination I doubt we'll hear again).

Next up on the plate is the first real complete run through of "Mulan". I was underwelmed by it the first time, though the "Overture" is a Goldsmith masterpiece.

I remember thinking one day, after hearing the "Overture" that I own very few pieces like this that are such orchestral grandure that tells a story all by itself, is a stand-alone listen, and is so satisfying and wonderful that you don't want to listen to anything else afterward, because it detracts from what you heard and pales when in comparrison.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2012 edited
    Stavroula wrote
    Timmer wrote
    KRULL

Ohhhhh yesssssss!!!!!!!

Yes indeedy! ( typo your sorry arse Justin tongue )

KRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!! punk
  6. Timmer wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Timmer wrote
    KRULL

Ohhhhh yesssssss!!!!!!!

Yes indeedy! ( typo your sorry arse Justin tongue )

KRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!! punk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNGLWDEnGK0#t=6m44s