• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011 edited
    Accidentally deleted it before :

plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    As i said, i think film music fans listen to music according to the composers. Or composer - director's relationships.
    Not the movie so much.

How did they become aware of the composer in the first place? Remote viewing?

Peter smile

Peter do not make things look so black. Of course you usually begin from the popular names but then you move onto discovering new things like every other genre. Your listening hobbies and habits get disconnected slowly and with the time, from what's popular and what's not. Just because not many people like the obscure morriconne Italian scores for tv or b movies, that doesn't mean people don't search things in depth. I know people who absolutely adore and search in depth the works of composers nobody ever listened to before. I learn from them. It's unfair to put everyone in the same bag because the do not follow our tastes. I mean I would love it if the world jizzed over yvan Cassar or max richter like I do. Just because they do not, that doesn't make them less informed than me. This behavior In its extreme, the "you probably never heard of it" thing,is what I find pretentious and hate about friggin hipsters. It is not what you did, I am just saying in general.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Peter do not make things look so black. Of course you usually begin from the popular names but then you move onto discovering new things like every other genre. Your listening hobbies and habits get disconnected slowly and with the time, from what's popular and what's not. Just because not many people like the obscure morriconne Italian scores for tv or b movies, that doesn't mean people don't search things in depth. I know people who absolutely adore and search in depth the works of composers nobody even listened to before. I learn from them.

My point is that promotion is the root of everything. It determines what scores we become interested in, and what composers we become interested in. Of course I'm not claiming that there are no other factors, but it's the primary decider. Consider scores like "Iron man" and "I promessi sposi". The former got tons more publicity, and consequently tons more buyers. Surely you must recognize that the quality of the music has very little to do with the fact that Iron man has probably sold thousands more copies than I promessi sposi ever will. If you agree with me on this I'm not sure what we're discussing, as this has been my main point.

Christodoulides wroteIt's unfair to put everyone in the same bag because the do not follow our tastes. I mean I would love if the world jizzed over yvan Cassar or max richter like I do. Just because they do not, that doesn't make them less informed than me. This behavior In its extreme, the "you probably never heard of it" thing,is what I find pretentious and hate about friggin hipsters. It is not what you did, I am just saying in general.

I'm not sure how you extracted any of this from my posts. As I (perhaps poorly) tried to point out in a former post we're all inadequately informed, since none of us are omniscient and we depend on the media, internet and word of mouth. We all end up with a bias towards scores to heavily promoted films as a conquence of our limitations.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011
    While we're on the subject of obscure scores by obscure composers...

Jurassic Park - John Williams

This is genuinely great. I shall say it quietly... this is my favourite John Williams score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    While we're on the subject of obscure scores by obscure composers...

Jurassic Park - John Williams

This is genuinely great. I shall say it quietly... this is my favourite John Williams score.

Wow! We're both playing Dinosaur scores.

The difference being is that I'm playing this popular favourite...

NP : ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. - Mario Nascimbene

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I do not think Morricone is obscure !

Depends on the score. There are ultra-obscure Morricone and ultra-famous Morricone scores.

In any case, it doesn't address my basic point, that there's tons of great music out there most of us have never heard of and will never hear of, so if popularity of movies truly didn't matter, our listening habits would be radically different.

Peter smile

I could have lived perfectly happy without ever having known about, heard or seen Williams' JOHN GOLDFARB PLEASE COME HOME.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Joe vs the Volcano - Georges Delerue

This is good. Swoon, swoon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TOTAL RECALL - Jerry Goldsmith

I needed something meaty and this fits the bill perfectly.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SOMMERSBY - Danny Elfman

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How The Grinch Stole Christmas James Horner

A very frustrating score. There's some great material heavily buried in wacky Dr. Seuss-inspired wackiness. 'The Sleigh of Presents' is classic Horner.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LARGO WINCH - Alexandre Desplat

I like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Nightmare Before Christmas Danny Elfman

My housemates are enjoying this one as they all said "Turn it up!" biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The X-Factor is on TV so it's time for some real music...

NP : THE PERFECT STORM - James Horner

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Rudy - Jerry Goldsmith

This is fantastic. Makes me all warm and fuzzy.
  1. How can you concentrate on this with X-Factor on?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    How can you concentrate on this with X-Factor on?

My headphones are on very loud to drown it out.
  2. But you are still WATCHING, aren't you?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

punk

punk X googolplex

One of my all time favourite scores... ney, things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But you are still WATCHING, aren't you?

I am not! I was reading on my Kindle, now I'm on the laptop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote

punk

The perfect choice

sorry.....
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    How can you concentrate on this with X-Factor on?

I turned it off.

Simplez! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Patriot - John Williams

It must be a decade since I was last tempted to listen to this. Fairly enjoyable, but there's something a bit half-hearted about it. (Great theme though!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

It must be a decade since I was last tempted to listen to this. Fairly enjoyable, but there's something a bit half-hearted about it. (Great theme though!)

It does have an autopilot feel, yes, but still enjoyable. I'm still impressed that Emmerich managed to get Williams for this. Wouldn't have happened today.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NEW MOON - Desplat

Lovely little score. Best of the Twilight scores, I'd say. One of my favorite scores by Desplat as well.
  4. Timmer wrote

punk

Yes.

Come to think of it, Horner hasn't scored a decent disaster/tragedy flick in a while.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

It does have an autopilot feel, yes, but still enjoyable. I'm still impressed that Emmerich managed to get Williams for this. Wouldn't have happened today.

Thank goodness! What a shite film!!!
  5. The Debt - Thomas Newman

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Newman really should score a big-budget action film, just to stretch his muscles. "One More Parcel" proves he's capable of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Debt - Thomas Newman

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Newman really should score a big-budget action film, just to stretch his muscles. "One More Parcel" proves he's capable of it.

Maybe some day one of his frequent directorial collaborators - Sam Mendes, perhaps - will direct a big-budget action film and bring him along for the ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011 edited
    Wild Russia - Kolja Erdmann

I've wanted this since I watched the series a couple of years ago, but thought it hadn't been released. It was actually released under its German title (the very snappy Russland: Im Reich der Tiger, Bären und Vulkane) and now I find that Alan actually mentioned it on this very forum a long time ago. Anyway, I've got it now and it's superb wildlife documentary music. Not really in the George Fenton vein, too - more darkly dramatic, with a bit of a Russian hint. Superb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011 edited
    Steven wrote

Steven have you heard "Nightmare Revisited"? Pretty good says I!

NP: The Lord of the Rings-The Return of the Kings ~ Howard Shore

Pure bliss every time! I can't wait to hear what he has come up with for "The Hobbit"!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    Steven wrote

Steven have you heard "Nightmare Revisited"? Pretty good says I!

You mean the one with the cover songs? I haven't actually! I'll give it a try on your recommendation smile