• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2011
    CHRISTOPHER YOUNG - the rum diary

Awesome breezy and melodic jazz, almost as good as something Mancini would have written. My car at the cockroach and cues like this are brilliant!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That sounds interesting?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That sounds rather better than interesting!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll agree! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Will listen to this tomorrow.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. IRON WILL - Joel McNeely

I spent the morning listening to film scores. The first three were okay, but as soon as this one started they were forgotten. This score is so great! I have Erik to thank for pointing this score out (rather forcefully once). So glad I bought it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2011 edited
    See Erik, you are needed ( and wanted hug ) here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE NATURAL (Randy Newman)

It's very straightforward and not very complex orchestral writing (which Randy can't really do), but it's very pleasing. The main Americana theme is iconic.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

It's very straightforward and not very complex orchestral writing (which Randy can't really do), but it's very pleasing. The main Americana theme is iconic.

Complex orchestral writing means nought to good melody, good music is good music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2011 edited
    NP: Camelot - Mychael and Jeff Danna

Some interesting moments and some solid orchestration (and to be honest: some really quite nice choral work) fail to hide that this is nothing much more than just a pretty decent effort.
    It's not bad. Certainly not. But there's simply nothing that is memorable, leave alone groundbreaking, although it certainly gets heavy handed at times.
    As far as scores for (semi) historic big budget TV series go, Morris and Phipps were much more enjoyable (and diverse, and balanced) in their work for The Tudors and The Virgin Queen.

I expected a bit more...well, thematic and more subtle emotional approach from the Dannas.
    This CD will certainly find its niche with fans of the show and those who appreciate a leaden, heavy, almost "Two Towers"-esque musical approach to the era.

By the way, the teasers and pictures I've seen from the show are utterly foreboding: this looks to be a truly dreadful series with a bunch of apparently fifteen year old kids from Jersey Shore pretending at Dungeons and Dragons. Overproduced, overCGI'd, overstylized....truly horrid! I won't be watching this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2011
    Thor wrote

I think Randy Newman not scoring more straight dramatic films is one of the greatest missed opportunities in film music over the last couple of decades. He's so bloody good at it and I know he would have loved to have had more opportunities (since he told me!) but once he started doing Pixar stuff, the offers dried up. A real pity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    christopher wrote
    IRON WILL - Joel McNeely

I spent the morning listening to film scores. The first three were okay, but as soon as this one started they were forgotten. This score is so great! I have Erik to thank for pointing this score out (rather forcefully once). So glad I bought it!

I adore this. It's one of my most-listened-to soundtracks - never grow tired of it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Camelot - Mychael and Jeff Danna

Some interesting moments and some solid orchestration (and to be honest: some really quite nice choral work) fail to hide that this is nothing much more than just a pretty decent effort.
    It's not bad. Certainly not. But there's simply nothing that is memorable, leave alone groundbreaking, although it certainly gets heavy handed at times.
    As far as scores for (semi) historic big budget TV series go, Morris and Phipps were much more enjoyable (and diverse, and balanced) in their work for The Tudors and The Virgin Queen.

I expected a bit more...well, thematic and more subtle emotional approach from the Dannas.
    This CD will certainly find its niche with fans of the show and those who appreciate a leaden, heavy, almost "Two Towers"-esque musical approach to the era.

By the way, the teasers and pictures I've seen from the show are utterly foreboding: this looks to be a truly dreadful series with a bunch of apparently fifteen year old kids from Jersey Shore pretending at Dungeons and Dragons. Overproduced, overCGI'd, overstylized....truly horrid! I won't be watching this!

That'll be a no for me then.
  3. Hostage - Desplat

So different from his typical european style, though there's some trademarks. I like the main theme performed by his daughter Antonia, same thing with the themes for Talley and Tommy.

I don't know why there's a title called Mar's Theme, if there's no theme except Tommy's theme. The action cues are definitely different from Desplat's action cues in the last cues, much more bombastic and haunting.
  4. ^^ I love the main theme. It sounds like a lullaby, which shouldn't make sense with a thriller starring Bruce Willis, yet it does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    summer of 42 michel legrand

Sublime
  5. christopher wrote
    IRON WILL - Joel McNeely

when I heard it in 1994, I thought it was an entertaining score that sadly sounded like John Williams. Now I adore this score because it sounds like John Williams.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Southall wrote
    christopher wrote
    IRON WILL - Joel McNeely

I adore this. It's one of my most-listened-to soundtracks - never grow tired of it.

probably because the score isn't 77 minutes long, but yeah what a terrific score. I can't believe I sold this one, considering it's hard to find nowadays
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My Week With Marilyn - Conrad Pope

Excellent; quite varied; very beautiful in places.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TRANSFORMERS (Steve Jablonsky)

Great, thematic score! Love them power anthems.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    summer of 42 michel legrand

Sublime

The theme is absolutely gorgeous. I've only ever seen the film once and that was a long time ago, I don't think there was much score in the film, if any?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    On the lp there's a lot of atonal material too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Does it have a track list D?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Does it have a track list D?

I suspect that what you have is the same as the original LP and CD release and that the rest of the LP has the score for PICASSO SUMMER, THE THEME to this is one of my favourites, possitive, up-lifting, breezy and summery, it's beautiful.

A proper theme full of melody, Legrand is without a doubt one of the greatest film score melodist of all time, right up there with the likes of John Barry, Henry Mancini, Ennio Morricone, Georges Delerue etc.
  7. Ennio Morricone - Days of Heaven

cool

The themes are just plain exquisite. Listening to the new FSM edition.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. ANGEL - Philippe Rombi

So gorgeous! What a great album. If I have and love this, Un Homme et son Chien, and Merry Christmas, what of his should I get next?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2011
    christopher wrote
    ANGEL - Philippe Rombi

So gorgeous! What a great album. If I have and love this, Un Homme et son Chien, and Merry Christmas, what of his should I get next?

Jeux d'enfants perhaps. It has a wonderful love theme. The entire album is good and varied, but the best tracks tend to be the theme, so it might seem a bit monothematic. That's how I remember it at least. Think I will play it again now.

Peter smile
  9. Cool! Thanks, Peter.

NP: DREAM HOUSE - John Debney (via cinematicsound.net)

The suite Erik put on his most recent "This Just In" show is staggeringly good! I haven't heard Debney this good in a long time....maybe ever? From the sounds of it the whole album isn't as good as the first three and the last three tracks, but holy cow, those tracks are AMAZING! I'm blown away by this.
  10. Howard Shore - The Score

Great jazzy work done between Lord of the Rings 1 and 2. Largely forgotten due to that.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website