• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2011
    christopher wrote
    Cool! Thanks, Peter.

np. wink

Btw, give that youtube link a listen a few times. I guarentee you will fall for the theme. What an excellent performance! Funny he can play so well when the piano is jumping all over the place.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Howard Shore - The Score

Great jazzy work done between Lord of the Rings 1 and 2. Largely forgotten due to that.

Not by me, I think it's a fine score, played it many times.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Days of Heaven - Ennio Morricone

This is STUNNING. FSM's finest release and 2011's finest release.
  1. PawelStroinski wrote
    Howard Shore - The Score

Great jazzy work done between Lord of the Rings 1 and 2. Largely forgotten due to that.

This is one of my favourite Shore scores. For me it has a feel that takes it beyond film music. It works really well as an album in isolation.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Southall wrote

Have I mentioned before that I can't see the appeal of this?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TIN TIN - John Williams

My second listen, it's just not connecting somehow.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Classic Film Scores For Bette Davis. Charles Gerhardt conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

I haven't bothered to listen to it since my first two attempts. It hasn't got anything that's made me want to return to it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I haven't bothered to listen to it since my first two attempts. It hasn't got anything that's made me want to return to it.

I can't hide my disappointment sad

I actually feel it'll be an effort to return to it.
  3. Southall wrote

Agreed, a beautiful score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MIC-MACS (Raphael Beau/Max Steiner etc.)

Extremely eclectic soundtrack, from the quirky Yann Tiersen-like accordion stuff (very French!) to the lush Steiner romanticism. And some period songs as well. Weird, but I like it.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Basil Poledouris - Conan the Barbarian (Prague re-recording)

Everything has been said about this score. It's plain brilliant and I have to thank Martijn yet again for sending me this release.

I haven't seen the film though and I heard really mixed opinions about it. Is it watchable? I was turned off by a friend who at the time was an Arnold Schwarzenegger fanboy and told me "don't watch it, it's about a bunch of idiots."

Yes, I've heard of the beautiful cinematography, the score is, well, it's Conan the Barbarian of all things, but the only incentive, real incentive, to watch it for me is really James Earl Jones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I haven't seen the film though and I heard really mixed opinions about it. Is it watchable? I was turned off by a friend who at the time was an Arnold Schwarzenegger fanboy and told me "don't watch it, it's about a bunch of idiots."

Yes, I've heard of the beautiful cinematography, the score is, well, it's Conan the Barbarian of all things, but the only incentive, real incentive, to watch it for me is really James Earl Jones.

It's a great movie. One wouldn't think so considering that it's about Arnold Schwarzenegger with a sword, but it's in fact very well made and very enjoyable. It's especially enjoyable if you like the score as it's given alot of room and attention in the movie. It's basically like a long music video.

Stay far away from the sequel and spin-offs though. Red Sonja and Conan the destroyer are atrocious.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote

Extremely eclectic soundtrack, from the quirky Yann Tiersen-like accordion stuff (very French!) to the lush Steiner romanticism. And some period songs as well. Weird, but I like it.

Have you seen the film? I guess you need to see it to know how it all glues together. It's wonderfully weird, as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Thor wrote

Have you seen the film? I guess you need to see it to know how it all glues together. It's wonderfully weird, as well.

I have, yes. Typical Jeunet. He's a bit on/off to me, but this one didn't quite grab me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

It's a great movie. One wouldn't think so considering that it's about Arnold Schwarzenegger with a sword, but it's in fact very well made and very enjoyable. It's especially enjoyable if you like the score as it's given alot of room and attention in the movie. It's basically like a long music video.

Stay far away from the sequel and spin-offs though. Red Sonja and Conan the destroyer are atrocious.

Peter smile

It's quite a cheesy film, but somehow appealing. Arnold is actually pretty good in it, but that's because he's so fitting for the role.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    Basil Poledouris - Conan the Barbarian (Prague re-recording)

Everything has been said about this score. It's plain brilliant and I have to thank Martijn yet again for sending me this release.

But have you seen this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGOQ7SsJrw
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Yep.
  7. And the "Predator" musical?

Just checking. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Forever Young - Jerry Goldsmith

This really is a fine score - full of magic and optimism and wonderful themes. For once I even support the use of the film tracks in the body of this expanded album rather than Goldsmith's preferred album versions, which are relegated to bonus tracks at the end - the dialled-down synth percussion in the film versions is far superior.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Rum Diary - Christopher Young

Fandabidoozie (forgive the spelling). Best jazz-based score since Sideways. Hugely entertaining throughout.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Fandabidoozie (forgive the spelling). Best jazz-based score since Sideways. Hugely entertaining throughout.

Absolutely great score one of the best of the year.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. Southall wrote

I think you will find that it is "Fan-Dabi-Dozi".
  9. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I love how it becomes a national tragedy here whenever Williams puts out a mediocre score. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2011
    Really? uhm How do you figure that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2011 edited
    Curious how lukewarm the Tintin reception is here considering how nuts people are about it on other boards. I think that's what I like most about MT; there's usually a more critical sense, rather than the uncritical fan-raving most other boards are brimming with.

In any case, I downloaded the track "The adventure continues", as that seems to be the favourite track of most people. Didn't see the appeal at all and deleted the file. Not an album for me. I expect War horse will be more my cuppa tea.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I love how it becomes a national tragedy here whenever Williams puts out a mediocre score. biggrin

A "national tragedy" How so? And you suggest it's a "mediochre score"?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Peter smile

yeah

I agree with Peter, the film is operatic in it's scope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I haven't seen the film but, any film that has a cue like "Theology/Civilization", had better at least be trying to be operatic in scope...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!