• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2011
    Scribe wrote
    I haven't seen the film but, any film that has a cue like "Theology/Civilization", had better at least be trying to be operatic in scope...

Oh, it is!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    yeah

I agree with Peter, the film is operatic in it's scope.

yeah

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2011 edited
    Mars needs moms (John Powell)

Highly entertaining score from start to finish. The themes are great. Not as good as that dragon thing, but it's the same type of score; i.e. very melodic, easy on the ears, filled with positive energy and with some rather catchy themes. Especially the theme heard in the beginning of the credits suite I worship. The theme is pure, concentrated joy. Just a shame it's only heard in snippets on the album, amounting to a few minutes. I'd like a concert piece with this melody, instead of the way too short snippets we get on the album.

Fantastic tracks: Gribble's loss, The sacrifice, Mars needs moms (Credits suite)

Rating: ****

Peter smile
  1. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : TIN TIN - John Williams

My second listen, it's just not connecting somehow.

I haven't bothered to listen to it since my first two attempts. It hasn't got anything that's made me want to return to it.

I can't hide my disappointment sad

I actually feel it'll be an effort to return to it.

Wait until you hear it in the film guys... It has the same effect that Temple of Doom has in the film, or Hook. Without the brilliant themes I admit, but incredibly fun and energetic.

I can't hide my appointment smile (the total opposite of disappointment)
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Southall wrote
    Forever Young - Jerry Goldsmith

This really is a fine score - full of magic and optimism and wonderful themes. For once I even support the use of the film tracks in the body of this expanded album rather than Goldsmith's preferred album versions, which are relegated to bonus tracks at the end - the dialled-down synth percussion in the film versions is far superior.

Listening to it now and I preferred the original album presentation. The added cues are not exactly needed (basically filler) and the really great cues are now more far apart, breaking the flow somewhat. The standout cues are lovely and the improved sound is appreciated. I would have liked the original album as a second disc with remastered sound. Just my two cents.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Rio (John Powell)

Meh. Disappointing.

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The movie is fun, but not as good as they said it was. The score was ok, fun at parts, serviceable at most.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Trailer certainly looks fun.

Shame about the music though. Not that it's bad, but knowing Powell's talent for making terrific themes, an average score like this is a major disappointment

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    plindboe wrote
    Trailer certainly looks fun.

Shame about the music though. Not that it's bad, but knowing Powell's talent for making terrific themes, an average score like this is a major disappointment

Peter smile

It's a movie that works because of the songs and underscore. Powell was very involved in the musical production of the various songs in the movie. It's another Happy Feet in approach.

Christodoulides wrote
    The movie is fun, but not as good as they said it was. The score was ok, fun at parts, serviceable at most.

It certainly was made for the kiddies, but, in my experience, very good for a very wide demographic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: Enemy at the Gates - James Horner

A new debate has flaired up on another board about Horner's borrowing from himself and others. I spend the weekend researching specific examples of the borrowing and seeking to understand if Horner is a good guy or bad guy.

I determined that he's a good guy. And this is still one of my favorite scores from Horner - including the delicious Prokofiev influence!!!
    Insert witty line here
  3. I may well be the only Horner fan that has a serious problem with 'Enemy at the Gates'. Give me Deep Impact, Four Feathers and I will enjoy it from start to end, even Troy I will enjoy to some extent. But this has the magnificent opening track, but after that I feel like I'm wasting my time. Of all his 70+ minute albums, this one and 'The Missing' are the only ones I can live without.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Neilbucket wrote
    NP: Enemy at the Gates - James Horner

A new debate has flaired up on another board about Horner's borrowing from himself and others. I spend the weekend researching specific examples of the borrowing and seeking to understand if Horner is a good guy or bad guy.

I determined that he's a good guy. And this is still one of my favorite scores from Horner - including the delicious Prokofiev influence!!!

Shostakovitch, Prokofiev, Kackaturian, Vaughan Williams, Benjamin Britten, Arvo Part, are just a handful of composers Horner has stolen from over the decades and you know what? I couldn't give a piss!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK - John Williams

Not because it's Halloween but because I want to play it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Battle: Los Angeles - Brian Tyler

Brian Tyler spicing his palette with a bit of John Murphy. Let's see how this will work. I really like his Fast Five score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    BLIZZARD - MARK MCKENZIE

Delightful and lovely, full of delightfully lovely melodies... perfect for a delightful family film featuring a lovely animal. Only my third listen or so and this maintains its enchanting effect until the very end.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the music is quite lovely and extremely delightful. smile

Thanks bro!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wild Rovers - Jerry Goldsmith

Not many seem to love this as I do; but I really do love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2011
    Southall wrote
    Wild Rovers - Jerry Goldsmith

Not many seem to love this as I do; but I really do love it.

If I was rich enough, I would commission a rerecording of every Goldsmith western score. His western music is fantastic, but unfortunately a lot of the recordings are just terrible to listen to. Thank god for his rerecording of Rio Conchos.
  4. WILD ROVERS is great.

I liked it so much, that I used it as a temp track for large chunks of a film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : TIN TIN - John Williams

My second listen, it's just not connecting somehow.

I haven't bothered to listen to it since my first two attempts. It hasn't got anything that's made me want to return to it.

I can't hide my disappointment sad

I actually feel it'll be an effort to return to it.

I love how it becomes a national tragedy here whenever Williams puts out a mediocre score. biggrin

A "national tragedy" How so? And you suggest it's a "mediochre score"?

Williams is considered the best composer in film today, so when he writes a score that doesn't immediately impress, it's talked about as if it's such a big letdown.

Regarding Tintin, I haven't listened to it, but it seems to me that it's getting a mixed reception.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's certainly not as good as what he wrote in the days of old, but I've listened to it a bunch more times than most other things recently, so it must have something going for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2011 edited
    Tintin is a score that doesn't impress on first listen. I've heard it four times now, once in the film and I must say it is a good score, very complex in the writing not to mention the execution by the orchestra, it's not memorable from the get go, but I'm already capable of seperating the various themes and how they interact with each other. It's really quite remarkable after a couple of listens, this must be one of the busiest and liveliest I've heard Williams do in a long time.

I think it's a tremendously fun score in the film especially (makes me forget about the utterly dull Indy IV) and I can't believe all the disappointment coming from this board. The guys over at FSM seem to love it, and in all honesty so do I.
  6. A BEAUTIFUL MIND - JAMES HORNER

I don't listen to this as often as I should. It has that non-stop emotional and melodic foundation that is getting rare these days.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    BLIZZARD - MARK MCKENZIE

Delightful and lovely, full of delightfully lovely melodies... perfect for a delightful family film featuring a lovely animal. Only my third listen or so and this maintains its enchanting effect until the very end.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the music is quite lovely and extremely delightful. smile

Thanks bro!

you're welcome. I adore this one smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Ah, now you can see I don't waste my time while working.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bolt (John Powell)

The themes don't blow me away, but it's all rather enjoyable. So, to sum up these past days' listening:

Mars needs moms ****
    How to train your dragon *****
    Rio ***
    Bolt ****

Think I'll get onto Horton hears a who and Happy feet next.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Rum Diary - Christopher Young

Fandabidoozie (forgive the spelling). Best jazz-based score since Sideways. Hugely entertaining throughout.

Absolutely great score one of the best of the year.

Have yet to hear it yet but am looking forward.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm in the homestretch of the Greatest Miracle.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: Cinematic Sound's 2011 Halloween Special - I had not heard Young's score to Drag Me To Hell - going to have to pick that one up!

I had I would say 60% of the scores so it was a real treat to hear some that I don't. And Bear McCreary's theme for The Walking Dead is superb!

A great selection, Erik, thanks!
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Neilbucket wrote
    NP: Cinematic Sound's 2011 Halloween Special - I had not heard Young's score to Drag Me To Hell - going to have to pick that one up!

I had I would say 60% of the scores so it was a real treat to hear some that I don't. And Bear McCreary's theme for The Walking Dead is superb!

A great selection, Erik, thanks!

Glad you enjoyed it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Rum Diary - Christopher Young

Fandabidoozie (forgive the spelling). Best jazz-based score since Sideways. Hugely entertaining throughout.

Absolutely great score one of the best of the year.

Have yet to hear it yet but am looking forward.

Tom

I am confident you will love it Tom .

My week with Marilyn, main theme by desplat and rest of the score by pope.

Loveit, old time nostalgic and relaxing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.