• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011
    A Single Man

Yeah, you can all laugh at me because I discovered it only two years later... tongue

Stillness of the Mind will be on my new compilation. I haven't started a new one yet. But when I do, this will be on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Glad you did even now wink visit mt more.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP: Mind Heist - Zack Hemsey

Last weekend we bought Zack Hemsey's Mind Heist with iTunes, so the five different tracks. Really cool! Especially because we fixed our sound system too!!
  1. christopher wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    christopher wrote
    Good. smile

NP: Star Trek V - Some guy with a ponytail

First listen.

Is this really your first ever listen?

Well, I saw the wretched film not too long ago and heard the music in context, but yes, that was my first listen to the score away from the film. It's fun to still get to discover "new" things from Goldsmith (new to me, anyway).

With all its flaws, the film still has its selling points, like the comedy moments, the great chemistry between Shatner-Nimoy-Kelley, and of course the great score. Those points alone make me enjoy The Final Frontier for what it is.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. LES MISERABLES - BASIL POLEDOURIS

The complete score, which is just superior to the album. I'm preferring the individual track layout every time. The music is delightful and though I'm not a big fan of Basil (apart from his more action-packed work) this side of his composing touches me. It's a very emotional work and it works best in its complete form.

Given to me by one of Poledouris' biggest supporters here, you know who you are. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Dunno whatcha mean. angelic
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje wrote

Last weekend we bought Zack Hemsey's Mind Heist with iTunes, so the five different tracks. Really cool! Especially because we fixed our sound system too!!

I sense an inception mania or what? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011 edited
    Bregje wrote

Quality sound makes all the difference. I can't stand to see people use crappy Apple earbuds with their iPods! crazy

What kind of set up do you have?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Heyyyyyy but theyyyyy'reeeeeee fashionaaaaableeeeeee and cooooollllllllll
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Steven wrote
    Bregje wrote

Quality sound makes all the difference. I can't stand to see people use crappy Apple earbuds with their iPods! crazy

What kind of set up do you have?

We have a simple Samsung surround set, you know, like these complete sets for watching movies and listening to music, with five speakers and a subwoofer.

We went to the store this weekend, because I said I wanted a new one! We also had a look at the serious stuff but seeing the price tags we dedided to try to fix our own thing first and find the remote control too.

I'm glad we could fix it because the sound is good enough for our small living room, especially with the remote control options to edit the sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Christodoulides wrote
    I sense an inception mania or what? wink

Yes, I'm sorry. The score was already good on it's own and in the movie. Seeing it in concert on top of that was both very cool and also very emotional I'd say.

And I'm afraid I've fallen in love with Hans Zimmer all over again... cry
    hug

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Great score indeed beer
  3. THE ROCK - ZIMMER & 2 DUDES

Great fun in a brainless sort of way. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I've been thinking about a surround system, but living in the city with neighbours on all side, I simply couldn't do it. I'd be WAY too concerned about causing any noise pollution.

I probably am rather conscious of it for having been on the receiving end of a top floor neighbour's installation for years. Very traumatic. sad Guy was impossible to talk to (literally. Wouldn't even open the door. Awful time.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    I understand that it simply is not done if you are not a selfish person (thinking about your neighbour's well-being rather than your own), that's why Thomas isn't keen on installing one where he lives now and why he comes over any chance he gets to watch and hear films the way they are meant to be watched and heard.

And you know there exist headphones that simulate having surround sound. That's what I put on my head if I don't want to disturb anyone. And I'm always pleased with how it sounds. Admittedly they have to be pretty costly to be effective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    I've been thinking about a surround system, but living in the city with neighbours on all side, I simply couldn't do it. I'd be WAY too concerned about causing any noise pollution.

I probably am rather conscious of it for having been on the receiving end of a top floor neighbour's installation for years. Very traumatic. sad Guy was impossible to talk to (literally. Wouldn't even open the door. Awful time.)

There's always the top end headphone route? I like to have the best of both worlds since I have a pair of 'monitors' (as they're called in audiophile land) and a pair of reference headphones. It's nice to switch between the two since listening to music on the headphones feels more 'personal', but then other times I like to hear the music fill the room with the speakers.
  4. Bregje wrote

Thanks for the information! I had grabbed "Mind Heist" off Hemsey's website a while back but as soon as I saw it was available on iTunes (with a number of cool variations) I immediately snapped it up.

Thanks, Bregje!! kiss
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    God lytting i dag

NP : ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry

Hvilket stralende musikk av John Barry, Det gjor ikke sa mye bedre enn dette.

Er jeg god til Klingon enna Martijn? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Apparently there's a bunch of Klingons at your door, wanting to have a bit of a word with you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    God lytting i dag

He, he...."warped" Norwegian sounds Klingon to you? smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    God lytting i dag

Damn! I've only just realised that today would have been John Barry's 78th birthday sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE MUSIC OF - John Barry

I rarely play Barry compilations but today I just had to, this is a superb collection of themes ( and even some incidental music tracks ) that he recorded and conducted in the late 60's for CBS.

I particulary love an arrangement he did for Deadfall, a piece that was re-arranged into a short 2.30 from the 15 minute concerto on the album.

ROMANCE FOR GUITAR AND ORCHESTRA

Check out the video and write up, interesting stuff and quite sad, yet spooky images of John Barry's former Spanish home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    God lytting i dag

Damn! I've only just realised that today would have been John Barry's 78th birthday sad

Yet somehow you decided to play one of his cds. Something is clearly at work here.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    God lytting i dag

Yet somehow you decided to play one of his cds. Something is clearly at work here.

But it was ME! When it's ME there's a strong % chance I'll be playing something Barry wink Now if it was yourself, or Martijn or ..............Thor! shocked Now that would have been spooky.
  5. THE THING - ENNIO MORRICONE & JOHN CARPENTER

Now I absolutely love the main theme, with the repetitive dung-dung sound but the rest should stay in the film where it belongs, where its effect is much more appreciated. Not one I will ever revisit on CD again, it's much too abstract for these ears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Too bad! I think it's a brilliant score in and away from the film and the recent re-recording from BSX Records is an essential for anyone who appreciated re-recordings!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Real Steal Danny Elfman

Really enjoying this one!
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Too bad! I think it's a brilliant score in and away from the film and the recent re-recording from BSX Records is an essential for anyone who appreciated re-recordings!

-Erik-

Don't get me wrong... it's eerie soundscape is spot-on for the film and the atmosphere it creates coupled with the snowy white surroundings. But on CD (or rather my MP3 player right now smile ) it doesn't exactly set me alight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Real Steal Danny Elfman

Interesting. Most everyone else seems to be quite negative about it.
    You're making me curious to hear it now!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Real Steal Danny Elfman

Interesting. Most everyone else seems to be quite negative about it.
    You're making me curious to hear it now!

It's fun! Cheesy and fun. It's very un-Elfman!?