• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DreamTheater wrote
    THE THING - ENNIO MORRICONE & JOHN CARPENTER

Now I absolutely love the main theme, with the repetitive dung-dung sound but the rest should stay in the film where it belongs, where its effect is much more appreciated. Not one I will ever revisit on CD again, it's much too abstract for these ears.

hehe, so funny I just reviewed it! Will post it later on the site.

Just to say that I adore the first part of the score, the second on the other hand fails in every regard
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011
    NP: GONE WITH THE WAVE (Lalo Schifrin)

Is there a cooler, more suave cocktail lounge score? I doubt it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011 edited
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Real Steal Danny Elfman
    Really enjoying this one!

Interesting. Most everyone else seems to be quite negative about it.
    You're making me curious to hear it now!

It's fun! Cheesy and fun. It's very un-Elfman!?

Big cheese lover.
    Stilton. Blue Danish. Roquefort. Brie. Camembert. Bouzouki. Edam.

Will look into this.

If the cat didn't get it.

NP: La Finestra Di Fronte - Andrea Guerra
    I was put on the track of this composer by a lovely girl in Jordi's Facebook group.

Very laid back, rather Craig Armstrong-esque writing, with a quiet, Romatic vibe. Yet it's all quite modern.
    I definitely need some more listens as it passes quietly, unobtrusively without a hitch or a bump, but the vibe is excellent. Thoroughly soothing and melodic.
    Very enjoyable indeed!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

Don't make me go through my collection of Mancini!! angry

(Even so, you may well be rght!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Don't make me go through my collection of Mancini!! angry

(Even so, you may well be rght!)

Mancini is great, but few things come close to this. It just has that whole "relaxing by the pool" vibe going on to a fantastic degree.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Now I absolutely love the main theme, with the repetitive dung-dung sound but the rest should stay in the film where it belongs, where its effect is much more appreciated. Not one I will ever revisit on CD again, it's much too abstract for these ears.

Just to say that I adore the first part of the score, the second on the other hand fails in every regard

"...fails in every regard..."?

I prefer to say that it is not as strong as the first half. My least favourite tracks are towards the end.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

"...fails in every regard..."?

I prefer to say that it is not as strong as the first half. My least favourite tracks are towards the end.

for me The Thing is all about mood, and in that regard the first part is nearly perfect. The second part shows suddenly music that doesn't fit the tone anymore of the first part. They just don't mesh anymore with what The Thing stands for. That's why it fails for me
  4. Maybe it mirrors the creepy first-half of the film with the hunt and discovery. Once the thing works its way through the base and the final confrontation then the isolation and suspense of the music would not be needed. I can see why a lot of it was not used.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Maybe it mirrors the creepy first-half of the film with the hunt and discovery. Once the thing works its way through the base and the final confrontation then the isolation and suspense of the music would not be needed. I can see why a lot of it was not used.

I know the film well, whatever was used it will have come from the first part, that is absolutely what The Thing stands for. The second part just doesn't feel right. It's good from a certain perspective, but absolutely unfitting. I indeed see why much of it wasn't used.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011 edited
    NP: Gremlins 2 - Jerry Goldsmith

It has been a very, very long time since I played this... and IMO it's bloody brilliant! Goldsmith was always inspired by Dante's films but I don't remember this score being so damn fantastic!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Gremlins 2 - Jerry Goldsmith

This is sheer coincidence, but I am also listening to this, and I agree... it really is fantastic. I think it's his finest comedy score.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    So...Tintin. I really don't understand all the negativity and disappointment toward this. I've been listening to it loads and enjoying the heck out of it, and it works great in the movie. This is miles ahead of Crystal Skull which really did suck. Easily one of the years best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    the 'burbs has always held the number one spot for me but after this listen you might be right.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    So...Tintin. I really don't understand all the negativity and disappointment toward this. I've been listening to it loads and enjoying the heck out of it, and it works great in the movie. This is miles ahead of Crystal Skull which really did suck. Easily one of the years best.

Yes!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Too bad! I think it's a brilliant score in and away from the film and the recent re-recording from BSX Records is an essential for anyone who appreciated re-recordings!

-Erik-

Interesting how tastes differ wink I can't stand it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. NP: The Thing - Ennio Morricone & John Carpenter

I just can't get over how faithful this re-recording is to the original soundtrack. I would find it difficult to tell many of these tracks apart from the OST. "Despair" is just awesome! And "Humanity" has just as much desolation in it as the original (although the brass/horns do betray their electronic origins a bit).

This would give any re-recording a run for its money.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

I've never heard it but it sounds like my kinda thing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    NP: Mind Heist - Zack Hemsey

Last weekend we bought Zack Hemsey's Mind Heist with iTunes, so the five different tracks. Really cool! Especially because we fixed our sound system too!!

Thanks for the information! I had grabbed "Mind Heist" off Hemsey's website a while back but as soon as I saw it was available on iTunes (with a number of cool variations) I immediately snapped it up.

Thanks, Bregje!! kiss

Glad you like it too. Which variation do you like?
    I like The Birth of an Idea. But they're all good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011 edited
    Anthony wrote

Yup, I enjoy it a lot as well. Lots of tongue-in-cheek and fun music combined with lots of action, with a couple of year's best tracks (Sir Francis, The Adventure Continues, ...). Surprisingly good movie too!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

You would LOVE this, Tim. It's right up your alley.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I am now listening to King Arthur Woad to Ruin .

I apologize for my severe suffering from Zimmeritis these days...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Happy feet (John Powell)

Besides a few nice tracks I don't find much to enjoy here, I could shorten this album down to 5 tracks, and that would be all I'd need.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Love that score! The epic choral writing for the sci-fi elements of the picture is superb! Lots of fun!

-Erik-
  7. Southall wrote
    Gremlins 2 - Jerry Goldsmith

This is sheer coincidence, but I am also listening to this, and I agree... it really is fantastic. I think it's his finest comedy score.

The kind of music, that puts a big smile on my face because of its creative genius. Only Jerry had that power.

I wouldn't mind seeing this expanded, simply to have much more fun on one disc. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Yes!

-Erik-

That makes 3 of us.

The others should have their hearing checked. crazy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

You would LOVE this, Tim. It's right up your alley.

You are absolutely right Thor, I just listened to some tracks from this on youtube, when comes to jazz, any kind of jazz, Schifrin is without a doubt THE MAN!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Spiderwick Chronicles - James Horner

The writing is technically sound and there's a lot of stuff in this score that we haven't heard from Horner before but the biggest issue is that as a whole the score is dreadfully boring! Casper's theme pops up a few times (annoying) but besides that there is really nothing else thematically that holds this score together. It's so... uninteresting!

There are few solid action licks (the ferocious "A Desperate Run Through the Tunnels" is a killer cut) and of course the brilliant "The Flight of the Griffin" (a cue that only James Horner could write) but after all is said and done I found myself saying, "That's it?" Disappointing isn't a strong enough word especially when Horner has written so many outstanding and memorable adventure scores.

The most positive aspect of this album is the splendid and dynamic recording by Simon Rhodes. I can't believe this is the same guy who recorded Deep Impact.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Spiderwick Chronicles - James Horner

The writing is technically sound and there's a lot of stuff in this score that we haven't heard from Horner before but the biggest issue is that as a whole the score is dreadfully boring! Casper's theme pops up a few times (annoying) but besides that there is really nothing else thematically that holds this score together. It's so... uninteresting!

There are few solid action licks (the ferocious "A Desperate Run Through the Tunnels" is a killer cut) and of course the brilliant "The Flight of the Griffin" (a cue that only James Horner could write) but after all is said and done I found myself saying, "That's it?" Disappointing isn't a strong enough word especially when Horner has written so many outstanding and memorable adventure scores.

The most positive aspect of this album is the splendid and dynamic recording by Simon Rhodes. I can't believe this is the same guy who recorded Deep Impact.

-Erik-

It's the kind of film that in the 80's Horner would have given us a classic. I think I possibly enjoy this score a bit more than you do Erik but on the whole I mostly agree with you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think my disappointment stems from my high expectations. There is some really good stuff but like I said as a whole... well, I'd rather reach for his previous animated efforts or Willow!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Love that score! The epic choral writing for the sci-fi elements of the picture is superb! Lots of fun!

-Erik-

It seems I dislike everything you like. Hope we'll find some taste overlap some day. smile

Peter smile