• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    Jesus... Hancock is pretty much a live action animated film anyway.

-Erik-

Sure, if you want to treat it like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012
    It really doesn't matter because Powell would have scored it the same way no matter he medium.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    It really doesn't matter because Powell would have scored it the same way no matter he medium.

-Erik-

Um, I don't think KP2 style music would have worked in a Hancock.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Papillon - Jerry Goldsmith

Another one on my list of top ten scores. Breathtakingly good. Goldsmith was never better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

Another one on my list of top ten scores. Breathtakingly good. Goldsmith was never better.

One of those excellent examples of sparse scoring. I'm not sure what the consensus is on the film, but I really enjoy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So do I. I don't think it's that well-liked in general, for some reason. I think it's McQueen's best performance and a wonderful film.
  1. Have I mentioned (at least this year at least) that I don't really like Goldsmith's music for Papillon?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think you did about three days ago!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In an amusing (old) interview with Ennio Morricone, he said it was the only American film score he had ever heard that he thought was good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012 edited
    I love the film.

The score is good too, although I'm not too keen on the dissonant parts. The theme is absolutely breathtaking, though. Love that melancholy sound.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: Prisoners' Wives - Daniel Pemberton

Pemberton announced on Twitter that he had uploaded 30+ minutes of his music to a new BBC drama, Prisoners' Wives (it aired tonight).

A small-scale score, quite low-key but there are some lovely tracks (though a lot of them are under 1 minute in length).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. I just found this video a few days ago. Apparently Morricone attended a screening of "There Be Dragons" and said nothing about Warbeck's score, instead priasing the director. Maybe they might work together again in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkNK0rQZvYI
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I was talking about Hancock. Whether live action or animated it would have received the same score. Powell doesn't score the medium.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

In 1979 he was. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Powell doesn't score the medium.

Don't you mean...genre? Eh? wink

Yeah, no...I'll...I'll get out your way.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    In an amusing (old) interview with Ennio Morricone, he said it was the only American film score he had ever heard that he thought was good.

shocked biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    spin
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Have I mentioned (at least this year at least) that I don't really like Goldsmith's music for Papillon?

spin dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

One of those excellent examples of sparse scoring. I'm not sure what the consensus is on the film, but I really enjoy it.

The film is EXCELLENT, watch it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

In 1979 he was. wink

-Erik-

You bet he was!!! Might put it on now actually! Or should I play Alien instead? Both breathtakingly good!
  4. Avatar - Horner

Well, to follow the lead of several others, I gave this a whirl again. It's just another great work from a man who's written many great works and will continue to make more.

And just to echo an earlier sentiment, it is outrageous that "Quaritch Down" or "Fight to the Death" didn't make the final album. I especially love the former track with its Aliens-like finale; it fit so well with the scene it accompanied in the film.
  5. John Williams - War Horse

Finally on CD (I got officially prepared mp3 review copy, but it ended up that I can get a copy on CD). I always liked this very warm and touching score.

No Man's Land is my favourite Williams action piece since many years.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Williams - War Horse

Finally on CD (I got officially prepared mp3 review copy, but it ended up that I can get a copy on CD). I always liked this very warm and touching score.

I don't care about the action tracks myself. This is Da Shit mostly because of the beautiful, pastoral parts! You have to go back to 'Hatikvah' from MUNICH to find a similar feeling, and that is obviously the national anthem of Israel and not an original JW composition (but his ARRANGEMENT is oh-so-beautiful and taps into similar territory).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I don't care about the action tracks myself.

Yes, we know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

Yes, we know.

Did I tell you I didn't care for the action tracks, though?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's a distinct possibility.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

Yes, we know.

Did I tell you I didn't care for the action tracks, though?

No you didn't, please tell us more.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Williams - War Horse

I finally ordered it. I only took so long because I thought I'd pick it up locally but didn't find it anywhere so Amazon it is.
  6. Michael Giacchino - Medal of Honor: Airborne

One of my all-time favourite Giacchino scores, I think his best action score (except MI4) in which he went with his post-Lost style and developed his very strong voice. Exciting, fun and somehow emotionally dry, which actually makes sense, also in the game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I was talking about Hancock. Whether live action or animated it would have received the same score. Powell doesn't score the medium.

-Erik-

Maybe, maybe not, conjecture like that doesn't matter to me. All I know is that scores like Green Zone and Hancock, the Bourne trilogy have a different, serious mood/tone to them, compared to the lively, bouncy music of Happy Feet and Rio and KP movies. For me, I want John to do more of the "serious" drama/action stuff. That's all.
  7. Heavily overlooked Stop-Loss, too.