• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2012
    Many that you mention equal it but NONE better it, in my humble subjective opinion wink and of course, many of them are not comparable to each other. As an example THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY is brilliant but a totally different listen to STTMP.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2012 edited
    You are absolutely and totally wrong!!... in my humble subjective opinion of course. wink

And yes, it's impossible to compare The good, the bad and the ugly to Star trek: TMP. I personally feel that the former would win in a duel any time though.

Peter smile
  1. NP: Red Tails - Terence Blanchard

This is not for everybody. Kind of awkard to hear synths and guitars in a score for a WWII movie. But other than that, it's a great score, and it was about time that Blanchard was able to show what he was able to do with full orchestra and choir. He does better americana and military music here than Miracle At St. Anna. And, unlike most of his scores, every cue sounds different, even with the main theme played in most of them (especially in Lightning's Gone, where he adapt his jazz style with piano, choir and orchestra perfmoing the theme).

And I love the arragement of America The Beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    You are absolutely and totally wrong!!... in my humble subjective opinion of course. wink

And yes, it's impossible to compare The good, the bad and the ugly to Star trek: TMP. I personally feel that the former would win in a duel any time though.

Peter smile

Well, I do think that there is no one single incidental piece of music that beats THE ECSTASY OF GOLD, just pure head shaking genius.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith

Name a score that's equal to this?

Just one?

Peter tongue

As many as you can, obviously this is all subjective and down to personal taste. wink

The thing with STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE is that listening to this from begining to end there isn't a single moment I want to skip, any contenders have to fit that bill too.

An obvious one ( for me ) is CONAN THE BARBARIAN.

Scores where I don't skip a bit? As of late:

"Sheena"
    "Capricorn One"
    "Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend"
    "Signs"
    "Unbreakable"
    "Star Trek II"
    "Star Trek V"
    "Star Trek: Generations"
    "Star Trek: First Contact"
    "Conan the Barbarian"
    (I patiently await the Intrada release)
    "Predator"
    "Ghostbusters"
    (the score, I skip the re-recorded cues though)
    "The Great Escape"
    "Jake Speed"
    (just plowed through that one a few days ago)
    "The Thorn Birds"

Off the top of my head.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Il Gatto - Ennio Morricone

If this doesn't have the finest CD cover ever created, then I'll eat my hat. The music is just as gloriously silly as the cover.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 … SS500_.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2012
    The Last Valley - John Barry

One of his best. Great action music, main theme, and "Death of the Captain / End Title" is an emotional high point of his career I think.
  3. I think I prefer Lion in Winter.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    The Last Valley & The Lion in Winter both contain beautiful/brilliant themes! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    In regard to Star Trek: The Motion Picture I agree it has equals but it still stands at the pinnacle of my favourite scores list! Quite simply a masterpiece!
  4. waves hand

This is not the posting you're looking for...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Wrong thread.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Indeed so, how the fudge did I frank this gorram thing up.
  7. justin boggan wrote
    waves hand

This is not the posting you're looking for...

dizzy

This isn't the posting we're looking for...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    The Last Valley & The Lion in Winter both contain beautiful/brilliant themes! cool

I approve of this post. beer
  8. yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Red Tails - Terence Blanchard

This is not for everybody. Kind of awkard to hear synths and guitars in a score for a WWII movie. But other than that, it's a great score, and it was about time that Blanchard was able to show what he was able to do with full orchestra and choir. He does better americana and military music here than Miracle At St. Anna. And, unlike most of his scores, every cue sounds different, even with the main theme played in most of them (especially in Lightning's Gone, where he adapt his jazz style with piano, choir and orchestra perfmoing the theme).

And I love the arragement of America The Beautiful.

I saw the movie last week and paid attention to the score. The synths are an unfortunate anachronism, but I agree. There is a lot of good orchestral work elsewhere. I really like the main theme, too; it's simple but heroic, just like the Airmen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Well, I do think that there is no one single incidental piece of music that beats THE ECSTASY OF GOLD, just pure head shaking genius.

There's something we can agree on!

Peter thumbsup
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Star trek: The motion picture (Goldsmith)

Just had to listen to this again after the discussion. I must say that it's not one of the greats for me. There are probably hundreds of scores I'd rather listen to. I love the main theme, though I do prefer the straight performance in the main title; I don't see the charm of the cue The enterprise, as I find it rather frustrating to listen to, since it's such a great theme but it's just dragged out too long to be enjoyable to me. Ilia's theme is another goodie. The underscore for the rest of the score is very impressive, but I personally don't get that much enjoyament out of it.

Peter smile
  9. I could probably only name six cues from TMP that I really love, and of those only two get any regular play. And one is an alternate!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    I could probably only name six cues from TMP that I really love, and of those only two get any regular play. And one is an alternate!

Yes, but it's important to remember that you're extremely peculiar.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Black Gold - James Horner

Most of it passed by unnoticed, but Leaving As An Emissary is a great track. And the main theme definitely sounds like Horner!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    I could probably only name six cues from TMP that I really love, and of those only two get any regular play. And one is an alternate!

First LOL moment today biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Star trek: The motion picture (Goldsmith)

Just had to listen to this again after the discussion. I must say that it's not one of the greats for me. There are probably hundreds of scores I'd rather listen to. I love the main theme, though I do prefer the straight performance in the main title; I don't see the charm of the cue The enterprise, as I find it rather frustrating to listen to, since it's such a great theme but it's just dragged out too long to be enjoyable to me. Ilia's theme is another goodie. The underscore for the rest of the score is very impressive, but I personally don't get that much enjoyament out of it.

Peter smile

I love it ALL, The Enterprise is an uplifting highlight that never fails to make me feel good, ALL of the cloud/V'ger music is AWESOME, love it love it love it love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah
  10. Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote

As soon as I relocate your post about the "Back to the Future" theme, you're mine Mr. Southall. ;-)
  11. NP: Tinker tailor soldier spy (Alberto Iglesias)

This composer often brings a bleak, jazzy chamber orchestral feel to scores, and he does so here again. There's a lot the music could chase in the film, but it manages to keep pretty consistent in where it's coming from. Heavy and moody.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Tinker tailor soldier spy (Alberto Iglesias)

This composer often brings a bleak, jazzy chamber orchestral feel to scores, and he does so here again. There's a lot the music could chase in the film, but it manages to keep pretty consistent in where it's coming from. Heavy and moody.

Now THIS is a difficult listen!
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Hey, he makes the saxophone not sound cheesy or like Michael Nyman. That in itself is an achievement.
    Also remember, his score for THE DANCER UPSTAIRS is my desert island 2001-2010 score. So obviously I see something in his velvety dark jazz fantasias. Languid to a fault.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012
    If we agree on one thing, it's that sax is difficult to get right. But Iglesias isn't the solution.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012
    I know nothing about Iglesias, but I do know John Williams made the sax sound non-cheesy in Catch Me If You Can.