• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    I know nothing about Iglesias, but I do know John Williams made the sax sound non-cheesy in Catch Me If You Can.

Definitely not cheesy, or like Michael Nyman. It was still pretty retro though, in its own way, but I don't say that as a putdown.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Thor wrote
    If we agree on one thing, it's that sax is difficult to get right. But Iglesias isn't the solution.

Indeed, it would grossly underestimate his talent to focus the praise on that point of distinction.

Nothing should surprise us when we don't agree on music for film. I like Iglesias and Desplat (whose 'L'ennemi Intime' is similar). It's almost a point of definition for me, much as knowing every obscure corner of Danny Elfman's musical legacy is yours. wink
  3. NP: The Woman In Black - Marco Beltrami

First listen. A slow-burner this one, full of ominous tracks oozing with dread.

Much better than my previous (partial) listen: Chillerama: I Was A Teenage Wearbear (Patrick Copeland). Once I had gouged out the songs on this disc I was left with an 11-minute "instrumental suite" that I will keep for another time.

And I think of the unreleased scores that are deserving of a release of some kind!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012
    100 Rifles - Jerry Goldsmith

Probably still my favourite of his many great western scores, with a main theme that is very, very addictive (and hard to get out of your head - as I'm finding out!)
  4. Have you heard thsi western theme he did (his son did the rest of the score):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWCdqigB8wY
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Hans Zimmer - Pearl Harbor

It works atrociously in the movie, but the music is pretty enough to give it a listen once in a while. Great theme, nice piano writing, but except that it's one of Hans's worst score as heard in film and the orchestrations are pretty awful, but the original album doesn't show that. Fortunately.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Hans Zimmer - Broken Arrow

The Lala Land release. I still love the score. Took me a while to like it, but yeah. One of the coolest Hans scores he ever wrote and it fits the movie very well.

So sue me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012 edited
    NP: Albert Nobbs - Brian Byrne

Enjoyable piano-led score with a very nice neo-classical feel. Recommended to any fans of Dario Marinelli's Pride & Prejudice score and other scores alike.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Pearl Harbor

It works atrociously in the movie, but the music is pretty enough to give it a listen once in a while. Great theme, nice piano writing, but except that it's one of Hans's worst score as heard in film and the orchestrations are pretty awful, but the original album doesn't show that. Fortunately.

I adore the love theme. It's not often that Hans would write something so maudlin, but it's all so enjoyable. Another favorite of mine is the Marry Me suite from POTC:AWE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I adore the love theme. It's not often that Hans would write something so maudlin, but it's all so enjoyable. Another favorite of mine is the Marry Me suite from POTC:AWE.

It's a shameless, fun-packed and innocent Zimmer score; would like to even hear this instead of his recent uninspired output (with the exception of Inception, Dark Knight etc).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE (David Newman)

Rollicking fun, orchestral score with some cute synth elements too....did this ever get a commercial release?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Demetris wrote
    lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

It's a shameless, fun-packed and innocent Zimmer score; would like to even hear this instead of his recent uninspired output (with the exception of Inception, Dark Knight etc).

I started noticing that I enjoy Han's work more when he does bolder things instead of keeping with the same stuff. For example, the best thing about Sherlock Holmes 2 is the Shadow suite, and everything else about it was a wash for me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE (David Newman)

Rollicking fun, orchestral score with some cute synth elements too....did this ever get a commercial release?

No, only a commercial release ( songs etc ), Bogus Journey ( a better score IMO ) did get a release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Both Bill & Ted scores are equally great. I can only hope that when they do film the third, Newman is hired back.

There's a shorter, and a longer Excellent Adventure CD-R's.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A third film?

Bill & Ted's Middle Aged Journey? Bill & Ted's Cranky Old Men Adventure?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Well, they'd have to do it soon. The two actors have said they'll come back, and in the mean time they're getting older, and phone booths are disappearing from existance. Somehow I doubt they could squeeze into an cellphone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: Star Trek: Insurrection (complete?) by Jerry Goldsmith.

The more I listen to this the more I appreciate it warmth and dramatic edge - better than I felt after seeing the movie for the first time.

Nemesis was on TV the other evening and I watched the end of it. I initially enjoyed it, but over time see how flat the entire film is - same feeling with the score. I like how brooding it is and there are moments that stand out, but Goldsmith must not have been inspired at all by what was on screen - even the orchestration was on autopilot.

Insurrection is Goldsmith in 'Very Good' mode. (ST: TMP, to piggyback on the earlier discussion, is his finest creation - in my opinion).
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    War Of The Worlds John Williams

This score rocks when you're in the mood for it. I like that it's not what you would call an 'easy listen'. I also think the film, amongst what I think are its two major flaws (an anti-climactic ending and too long a scene in the basement), is excellent. It has so many well directed moments and images -- I love this film! (Having watched it recently, it's also nice to see a relatively CG-heavy film and not constantly tut. Spielberg sure knows where and how to use CG!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    It's also nice to see a relatively CG-heavy film and not constantly tut. Spielberg sure knows where and how to use CG!)

Hear hear. I love how Spielberg, within the middle of complex CGI set pieces, often creates a scene that has nothing to do with the special effects, sci-fi or main threat, but is very memorable nonetheless. He did it in The Lost World with the Rescuing Sarah scene, he did it in War of the Worlds with the Attack on the Car. Spielberg rules.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

This score rocks when you're in the mood for it. I like that it's not what you would call an 'easy listen'. I also think the film, amongst what I think are its two major flaws (an anti-climactic ending and too long a scene in the basement), is excellent. It has so many well directed moments and images -- I love this film! (Having watched it recently, it's also nice to see a relatively CG-heavy film and not constantly tut. Spielberg sure knows where and how to use CG!)

I love the film too, but interestingly (and unlike you), I think the basement scene is THE major highlight....just pure brilliance to which everything else in the film pales. Solid character drama in a confined space.

I also don't mind the ending as much as everyone else. I think it's fine.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think the basement scene is brilliant too, but I also think it slows the film down after such a fast moving pace prior to that. The ending isn't necessarily bad, but I dunno, it just sort of... suddenly ends. But I suppose it's a minor quibble on my part since there's so much to love in the film (and I do like the emotional aspect of the ending).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

I love the film too, but interestingly (and unlike you), I think the basement scene is THE major highlight....just pure brilliance to which everything else in the film pales. Solid character drama in a confined space.

I also don't mind the ending as much as everyone else. I think it's fine.

I think the film has some great set pieces, particularly the appearance of the first martian war machine, something about the grey skies on a dull day makes that scene very creepy and the ensuing scene of mass panic and people being turned to dust, absolutely superb and brilliantly scored. I very much agree with Steven that the basement scene is long winded and the ending is a damp squib, in fact the film has a lot of flaws but overall I really enjoyed it, hell, I bought the DVD ( when I saw it cheap ) so that says it all.

p.s. It's still nowhere near as good as George Pal's rightly classic version which feels more apocalyptic and a world wide event even though Spielberg's film is much closer to H.G. Wells book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I'm with Thor. The basement scene is chilling and quite intense. I love how Spielberg made a 180 degree turn from epic and fast-moving to intimate and suspenseful all of a sudden. I also agree with the letdown ending; it was the scene in the basement when I REALLY got into the film (the whole film seemed to be leading up to that point), so when all of a sudden the film stopped and they got rescued, it was like, 'whoa, so soon?!' . Also because it was Spielbergs shortest film to date and I got used to his longer adventures that I didn't expect it to be over so soon. It feels a bit like an inbetweener for him, especially given the short period of time in which he made it. An awesome one, though. A short burst of adrenaline.
  9. The ending is the same from the book. I hope they can release a extended cut, with the [spoiler]scene with the family watching a Tripod collecting people from a house, which it's between the ferry scene and the hill scene[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I love Spielberg's War Of The Worlds. I felt it was very apocalyptic with the exception of one element that prevented me from buying into the "realism" of the events on screen. That's Tom Cruise. Having him up there on the screen constantly reminded me that this is just another Hollywood movie. His acting was great but I'd prefer a lesser known actor to take the journey with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I really enjoyed War of the Worlds, apart from the ending. Classic Spielberg for the most part, I thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I think the basement scene is brilliant too, but I also think it slows the film down after such a fast moving pace prior to that. The ending isn't necessarily bad, but I dunno, it just sort of... suddenly ends. But I suppose it's a minor quibble on my part since there's so much to love in the film (and I do like the emotional aspect of the ending).

Yes, the basement scene is at odds with the pace up untill then, but that's what I like about it. That whole segment is a kind of mini-movie onto itself. So that by the time it's over and the aliens intrude, you're suddenly jolted back into the more action-ey part of the film again. Works like gangbusters. It's the same thing as he did in JAWS, where the shark suddenly pops up towards the end by the boat. By then, you've become accustomed to being 'prepared' for it through the theme etc., but then it pops out of nowhere. It's a similar kind of play with our expectations and sense of pace that he shows us here.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. WAR OF THE WORLDS is pretty good. If it has negatives, they are: the tired father-son drama is a bit old (particularly with tom cruise as the father -- it never rises above movie cliches); the emotion I'm made to invest in a false death is dramatic betrayal (Spielberg is as ruthless as a panda sometimes); Dakota's screams ticked me off on the second viewing; and the ending as written and directed feels like a letdown in the context of an otherwise excellent film (unlike when the same ending appears in SIGNS or the old WAR OF THE WORLDS -- it's all in the treatment). The rest is excellent.
  11. Atham wrote
    I love Spielberg's War Of The Worlds. I felt it was very apocalyptic with the exception of one element that prevented me from buying into the "realism" of the events on screen. That's Tom Cruise. Having him up there on the screen constantly reminded me that this is just another Hollywood movie. His acting was great but I'd prefer a lesser known actor to take the journey with.

Still, it's a departure from everything he has done. Instead of being the typical hero fighting against aliens, he played a man who only cares about his family.

The basement scene is impressive, since that they blended three characters from the book into one. Both the character of Ogilvy and Robbie we're meant to be a critic of the people who wants to make a war, stuff like that.

The ending shows that the humans, with all our technology, we can't be invincible. And, it's the resolution of the family plotline. Ray and his son, having their reconciliation.
  12. Howard Shore - Hugo

A very warm and good score for a Scorsese masterpiece. The movie is fantastic, simply fantastic.