• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012
    Martijn wrote
    You GO, girl!

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Jerry Goldsmith - Lonely Are the Brave

Honoring the man's birthday by listening to this great early work. The theme is a masterpiece and the score resolves around the theme. What else can you want?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Jerry Goldsmith - First Blood

Keeping with the birthday mood. Just cool

It's the Intrada complete program.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2012
    Manwe wrote
    Listening to the clips from Back to Gaya - will purchase it very soon. It is quite incredible how much this moves me. As some of you might remember I am quite partial to Kamen's music, and this, it's like a voice from heaven! First time I heard the strains of the main title, it almost brought tears to my eyes... I was certain I would never hear a new Kamen score again, but here it is! Can't wait to hear the whole CD.

Thanks Mikael for releasing! (And thanks Michael for composing!)

Yeah, it had a real effect on me - I too was on the verge of tears. Hard to explain (it's not really Grade A Kamen, though it's certainly very good) but it provoked an incredible emotional response in me. I love Goldsmith, Morricone, Williams, whatever, but I know that everyone loves them - with Kamen, it always felt more like he was "my" composer because I would rave about things he did that nobody else seemed to like. And this final score just felt like such a wonderful tribute to him - a great man as well as a terrific film composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Le Bon Plaisir - Georges Delerue

Oh, Georges.
  3. Sometimes James your comments on film music and your response to it (and how you so eloquently you put those feelings into words) highlights to me how superficial my own comments, etc are on the subject!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    What a nice thing to say! Though there's nothing superficial about your comments.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    While You Were Sleeping - Randy Edelman

One of his best scores, for the simple fact of how easy it is to listen to (even if it's not exactly high art).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  4. Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

Some of "my" music. One of the most personal albums I own. And I got the original CD since recently, really. I bought it two years ago and that's when I rediscovered this beauty of a score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

Some of "my" music. One of the most personal albums I own. And I got the original CD since recently, really. I bought it two years ago and that's when I rediscovered this beauty of a score.

It's very much 'mine' too -- my alltime favourite Zimmer, which is saying much because he's one of my alltime favourites, like he is to you. I know there are several others here who like it very much too. I discovered it on chance in the mid 90's, in a clearance sale for basically nothing. One of my best purchases ever.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (Alan Menken)

Classic Menken -- colourful, vibrant and classy all the way to the bank (and the awards)!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sherlock - David Arnold and Michael Price

Very enjoyable, if a little one-paced.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

It's very much 'mine' too -- my alltime favourite Zimmer, which is saying much because he's one of my alltime favourites, like he is to you. I know there are several others here who like it very much too. I discovered it on chance in the mid 90's, in a clearance sale for basically nothing. One of my best purchases ever.

I picked it up cheaply too, I'd probably never have bothered if it wasn't so cheap but I'm sure glad I did, one of my most enjoyable Zimmer albums.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A.I. - John Williams

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    I Am Legend - James Newton Howard

The choir in this score is superb! The theme is memorable.

cool
  5. The way that the chorus is used in Evacuation and The Pier is impressive.
  6. Timmer wrote

cool

That on the other hand is my one of my favourite and most personal Williams scores. Not meaning as much to me a Schindler's List, but I am one of people who loved AI since it was released. Got the original CD since recently.

When I have more money I need to make up to one of my biggest Williams "misses" in my collection - Memoirs of a Geisha.
  7. Listening to Delerue's Platoon Suite, I forgot how soul-crushing this piece is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

That on the other hand is my one of my favourite and most personal Williams scores. Not meaning as much to me a Schindler's List, but I am one of people who loved AI since it was released. Got the original CD since recently.

Mine too. I loved the film and score since the beginning, and am still convinced both will receive their due respect in some years. In fact, people have started to turn around already.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Listening to Delerue's Platoon Suite, I forgot how soul-crushing this piece is.

I honestly wish they'd stuck with Delerue's score rather than insert Barber's music, it's a beautiful score, very moving.
  8. It doesn't play in the movie? What a scandal...
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    yonythemoony wrote
    The way that the chorus is used in Evacuation and The Pier is impressive.

Indeed. Other examples of impressive choir from JNH:

Tarawa - Snow Falling on Cedars
    The Great Eatlon - Lady in the Water
    Beauty Killed the Beast V - King Kong
    The Crystal Chamber - Atlantis the Lost Empire
    Redemption - Flatliners

NP: Four Gods - Joe Hisaishi

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Winston Churchill - Walking with Destiny - Lee Holdridge

An hour of very heavy, dramatic music. All well-composed. If only I could say I actually enjoy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012
    Frantic - Ennio Morricone

My first listen to the new FSM release. In fact, my first listen to the music outside the film. Great stuff - stylish, suspenseful thriller music.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Southall wrote

An hour of very heavy, dramatic music. All well-composed. If only I could say I actually enjoy it.

I was afraid of that. The last Intrada release of his suffered from the same problem - technically very fine but overlong and ultimately draining to endure it all (even in small increments by the end).

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Patrick Doyle

This is pretty awful actually. To be honest I can hardly believe this was composed by the same man whose very distinctive voice has shone through in his compositions for so many years. It has the same annoying, rhythmic, 'chugging' artificial beat that you hear in nearly every generic action/thriller score these days. It's scary how much Doyle seems to have compromised his own sound to meet the demands of these big action films of late. At least Thor had a couple of decent themes beneath the Zimmer influences. This has nothing to recommend it at all. The contrast is all the more painful after having just heard his brilliant older score to Man to Man.
  9. Rise of the Planet of The Apes is way better than Thor. Unlike Thor, the music was not made to sound like Zimmer. Doyle talks about how he approached the score on the liner notes, with the electronics for the science of the movie, the percusion (including cage slams) and African choir for the apes, the ostrich egg for Caesar (Especially when it performs his theme).

I agree that the action cues are basically MV-esque like Thor, but cues like Lofty Swing, Muir Woods, Off You Go, Who Am I?, The Primate Facility, Cookies (which it has a very funny and curious story), Caesar's Stand, Golden Gate Bridge, Caesar And Buck and Caesar's Home are not.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    I'll have to repectfully disagree there with you mate. I prefer Thor but neither are great art. I saw those liner notes too and Doyle's reasoning for the electronics but there's no escaping how generic the final product is. Some of the latter action cues have a certain life to them, I agree, but I doubt I'll ever be spinning this CD again.

Monte Carlo - Michael Giacchino

Perhaps it sounds better in the wake of the Apes score but this one has an actual theme - in fact, a damn catchy one at that. The 40 track album is an absolute horror of course but the organic feel and flavourful approach make it a whole lot more enjoyable listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote

I had exactly that vibe when listening to the clips, which made me decide against buying it.
    Seems like the clips were very representative of the score this time!

NP: Batman Forever - Elliot Goldenthal

I like quirky music, but this score tries to be too many thing at the same time: a harkening back to Elfman's gothic style, a far too obvious wink at sixties' camp Batman and Goldenthal's own massive bombast (all three of which I really like separately) are incredibly jarring on CD.
    I won't revisit this one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: AMAZING STORIES: SANTA '85 - THOMAS NEWMAN

Haven't heard this in a while but it is truly lovely. Despite it's short running length (just 13 mins), it demonstrates just how early Newman had his distinctive style pinned down.
  10. NP: W E (Abel Korzeniowski)

Some lovely stuff, although so consistently over the top and ripe that you'd have to wonder whether any drama could stand up to it. And the temp trackery. It is egregious. I can no longer listen to 'I will follow you' -- too clearly a retread of the composer's 'Clocks' (used in A Single Man). And 'Satin Birds' too clearly borrows from In the Mood for Love. 'Six Hours' is 'Stillness of the Mind' again from A Single Man. 'Brooklyn Faces' is a bit of something I'm having trouble remembering for the first half, and then goes completely into a ripoff of Glass's Mishima (even more than Bear McCreary ever did). (See the coda of 'Abdication' for another lift from Mishima -- bizarre.) The bits that don't literally sound like they were based closely on another score feel like Ludovico Einaudi or Yann Tierssen could have written them. Normally that'd be a compliment, but it can feel like yet another dent in any sense that this deserves the title 'ORIGINAL SCORE'. (If this really is the film where this composer really got to write the sort of music he liked, then either he's as much a fan of other soundtracks as we are, or he thinks he's already written it.)

Nonetheless, it does sound lovely when you force yourself not to notice all these things.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am